Why become a member? ×

Top 6 Bass Solos In Heavy Metal

WHUFC BASS

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XfQrGtCxcwY"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XfQrGtCxcwY[/url]

Some great bass tones in there... I really like Robert Trujillo bass sound on here. probably the tone I've been trying to achieve for a while.

Geddy Lee reminds me of an anorexic Mrs Doubtfire.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

Cliff was one of the reasons why I took up twanging the 4-string ("you mean that's NOT a guitar making that sound?" - to quote me at a much younger age) so ill have to go with him. Plus he swung his hair around in circles. And wore flares.

Technically it's all very good, but they just sound like guitar solos played on a bass. And I'm really not a fan of bass distortion.

I much prefer something more soulful and measured rather than all out shred - blasting away on pentatonics and blues scales really doesn't play up to the bass guitar's strengths, in my humble opinion.

Trujillo's glory days are clearly behind him - it's unlikely that anything he ever does in Metallica will come even close to the lines in Infectious Grooves. But then again, he's getting an paid arse-load of cash now, so fair play to the guy.

Edited by geilerbass

Wot, no Joey DeMaio????? ;)

Well I love Geddy and Geezer and Les, and I really like Robert's Infectious Grooves stuff, but to be honest everyone there has probably played much better stuff (although NIB is obviously a classic). For Geddy I'd have put in his solo in La Villa Strangiato or maybe YYZ, or the more melodic part at the end of Witch Hunt.

FWIW, I reckon all those players are better doing what they do best (i.e. driving a song) than at soloing.

But seriously, all I can say is "may each note I play be a black arrow of death to all those who play False Metal". Or something like that. :P

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='378109' date='Jan 12 2009, 07:03 PM']But seriously, all I can say is "may each note I play be a black arrow of death to all those who play False Metal". Or something like that. ;)[/quote]

I saw Manowar in the late 80s and they were a great band, shame all this false metal sh*t was lost on a British audience. It might wash with the yanks but for f***s sake, get a grip Joey.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='378453' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:24 PM']I saw Manowar in the late 80s and they were a great band, shame all this false metal sh*t was lost on a British audience. It might wash with the yanks but for f***s sake, get a grip Joey.[/quote]

If you ain't got the balls to take it, you can leave the hall...

Lem should be in there too (Keep Us On the Road, Stay Clean etc etc), but he himself says Motorhead aren't Heavy Metal, so who am I to argue with him?

Regarding Manowar, I have to say I first went to see them in 1984 just to see how bad they'd be. I'd read a couple of interviews and thought "these guys are going to be hilarious". Well, they blew my socks off. Kind of like "The Vikings" set to music. It was the most fun I'd had since watching Jason & The Argonauts as a kid, and I think fun is a much undervalued concept in music these days. They played fantastically as well. Nice guys BTW… I have a lot of time for Joey and Eric who (at least the couple of times that I met them) were nothing like you'd expect.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='378453' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:24 PM']I saw Manowar in the late 80s and they were a great band, shame all this false metal sh*t was lost on a British audience. It might wash with the yanks but for f***s sake, get a grip Joey.[/quote]
You ..thank god didnt know some of the twats Ive known...