Why become a member? ×

First ACG Recurve 5 String

BassBunny

Having just reached a milestone birthday, Mrs BB presented me with a tantalising choice to celibrate it.
1) A Cruise, ( great idea until some idiot booked a load of Gigs over Xmas and New Year)
2) A Party, (Would have ended up with a bunch of scroats I haven't seen since the last one, and wouldn't see until the next)
3) An ACG Bass.

It took all on 1 nano second to decide and Wednesday 7th Jan found me at ACG HQ in Moffat. I have been thinking about an ACG for a while, (ever since Steve beat me to one Alan had For Sale last year by 10 mins):mad:
I had pretty much decided on a Finn until I got there and fell for the alluring lines of the Recurve.
The really hard part was deciding on the finish. again I had a rough idea, but after seeing Alan's current "Wood Stock", I knew I was in trouble. Some time later I had it down to 7 tops and 4 (or was it 5 or 6) fingerboards. Enter Pete and Dave who gave me their views and the result is:
Amboyna Burl figured top, Black Limba body core and Ziracote finger board.

The pickup combination will be the Dogs Bollox with an SB in bridge RFB neck and a Piezo Bridge.
A truly amazing day and I now know why there is so much lusting over wood at the moment.
All I have to do now is wait patiently, (some hope) until it is finished. The even better part is that i'm not paying for it ;)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='376287' date='Jan 10 2009, 05:29 PM']That piece of Amboyna burl is just so bass shaped it seems a great shame not to fulfill it's destiny. You'll be over the moon Stuart. All I need now is a lady in my life for my 60th ;)

Peter[/quote]
I think Mrs BB is working on that as we speak :P
Thanks again for the pics. Are you now the official ACG photographer?

That really is going to be an amazing bass, both in looks and sound.

That Amboyna Burl is the db's and the combination of the mags and piezo is a great one. What's the switching going to be?

All I can say is that the waiting is very slightly painful. Make sure you have lots of stuff to keep your mind off of it ;)

[quote name='7string' post='376566' date='Jan 11 2009, 01:20 AM']That really is going to be an amazing bass, both in looks and sound.

That Amboyna Burl is the db's and the combination of the mags and piezo is a great one. What's the switching going to be?

All I can say is that the waiting is very slightly painful. Make sure you have lots of stuff to keep your mind off of it ;)[/quote]
Actually I feel quite relaxed about it strangely enough. I have been pretty GAS free for a while and am real happy with my current working Basses. BUT ask me again in a couple of months.....

Switching is thus:
Piezo and neck pickup.
Bridge pickup and neck pickup. All can be blended between with the pre-amp so you could also have.
Bridge.
Neck.
Piezo.

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='376623' date='Jan 11 2009, 10:05 AM']Big gulp Stu... I'm all weak at the knees. What's the lead time now?[/quote]
I haven't asked Al. I need to speak to Alan during the week and will find out then.
Will try and find out before next Sat and let you know. ;)

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='377072' date='Jan 11 2009, 07:47 PM']Hey Stuart,

You are absolutely right.....that is one gorgeous piece of wood.

This should be one very interesting build thread.[/quote]
Cheers Pete,
Even nicer in the flesh. Really enjoyed the Gig last night and will send the recording in the next couple of days.

Wicked man, that top is mind blowingly lovely... congrats.

I have a piezzo bridge on my Sei and while I was a little sceptical I would really use the setting aside from to get a simulated 'acoustic' sound, I have found it really useable for adding sizzling slap attack without losing the meat of the actual bass tone. In other words it sounds great with both pups on and the mids all present and correct, it really helps cut through and can be dialled in and out as and when you please to use it. So I think you're going to enjoy that side of things when she's all finished, it's definitely painful waiting, but it makes the pleasure of finally getting the bass all the sweeter, I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Nice one

Mike

[b]Urb[/b] - I was a bit sceptical about the piezo thing as well.

I've had a play of a 4 string fretless which Alan (ACG) built which has 1 mag and the piezo bridge. The 2 signals then feed into the 2 inputs of his preamp for maximum tweakability. Being able to shape the sounds of the piezo and the mag independently and blend them (or not) just gives so many different tones.

Definately a lot of fun as well ;)

Edited by 7string

[quote name='MythSte' post='378688' date='Jan 13 2009, 10:06 AM']28 is definately not a milestone Stuart! Your wife must be dillusional... i want one! (the bass or the dillusional money throwing wife, either is good for me!)

:P[/quote]
Getting the bass is probably the easier bit ;)
Mrs BB never does the expected. I got a party on my 46th Birthday. Not sure why but it was a helluva do......
You obviously sussed out that I have been knocking years off now, hence now the ripe old age of 28.