Why become a member? ×

Songs that are difficult to follow

Delberthot

We all know that most songs follow the standard 4/4 arrangement but what ones are there out there that leave you stumped?

Perhaps you'd like to post the here so that someone can make sense of it for you?

The first song I ever had trouble with:

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MVymT10s16Q&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MVymT10s16Q&...feature=related[/url]

Took me so long to get it.

Edited by Delberthot

I don't have issues with odd meter. The tricky tunes for me are songs that rely 100% on the swing.

I mean, [url="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11tjh_janes-addiction-been-caught-stealin_music"]this[/url] has just three notes but it's rock hard to get that feel going.

You've got to have the drummer feeling it too or it doesn't work at all.

If its a cover song, sometimes just playing it in the car and to yourself until you get to know the song/ arrangement from a listner view point and once familiar with the tune you can go back with a more subconcious feel for the song and jam along with it finding meters and passes and keys etc then hone the finer points. I never use tab, playing by ear has been my chosen style to roughly learn a song then put my own interpretation on it.
regards, nig.

[quote name='nig' post='375871' date='Jan 10 2009, 02:01 AM']If its a cover song, sometimes just playing it in the car and to yourself until you get to know the song/ arrangement from a listner view point and once familiar with the tune you can go back with a more subconcious feel for the song and jam along with it finding meters and passes and keys etc then hone the finer points. I never use tab, playing by ear has been my chosen style to roughly learn a song then put my own interpretation on it.
regards, nig.[/quote]
+1

That's been my approach in the main with a little bit of help from TABs if I feel I need it.. It's been said a lot of times on Basschat before but there's really nothing better than playing along to lots of different music to improve your playing and your ability to grasp different playing styles..

As for songs that leave me stumped, there are too many to mention probably but after two years off trying and some brilliant help from mr_russ, I still struggle with 'Loves Foolosophy'. It's partly my own ineptitude and partly because I hate everything JK has ever written and recorded so much that I can't bear to listen to it even to practice... Not a very professional attitude I know but thankfully, we've dropped it from the set now, much to my relief! ;)

Hope you're well by the way, nig!

Years ago was in a band doing ..ahem.. Simply Red stuff. ( Look, times were hard, okay?!!)
Always had trouble with 'Fairground' for some reason. (Maybe due to me hating their material to begin with.)

My country band does a cover of '5 o clock somewhere' by Alan Jackson. Great straight forward tune,
except the last break which is over a count of 5 instead of the usual 4. Its for some reason really
hard, especially when singing too. Too many years of playing 4 to a bar in everything I guess.

Edited by casapete

I found Joshua Redman's "Jazz Crimes" a bit of a nightmare to learn - even though it's in 4/4/, it's tough to count. I've got it down now though, but there's no sitting around being complacent, gotta count hard!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ICJUFOJa2g"]Jazz Crimes[/url]

[quote name='leschirons' post='384453' date='Jan 18 2009, 10:27 PM']Animal by Toto took me about a month to crack so I didn't get flack from the drummer. Found the best way was to just listen to it (without playing) about 30 times so it gets in your head.[/quote]

+1 to that!

I'm still wrestling with Animal. (so to speak) It's got some lovely bits of funk and jazz in it which are hard to follow. Definately one of those tunes that you have to break down into sections to learn properly.

Finally, the guitar solo is blinding - one of my faves of all time, along with Extreme - Get the funk out and Another brick in the Wall - The Floyd

Steve