Why become a member? ×

Level Meter to become Law?????

BassBunny

77,054 at the last count. I just got fowarded an email about it by the less internet savvy people. At least they have the excuse they can't type 4 words into google to find out if its real, if that is an excuse. But it means it is still going round. I wrote up a reply with the relevant links and exiting legislation in the hope that actual facts with references and such might win out, but I'm not hopeful.

From a trade website -

The petition against compulsory noise limiters in live music venues is now number one on the Prime Minister’s petition website, with over 70,000 signatures.

This comes as the petitioner himself, Warren James, admits on his website that it is a false alarm: “It is great to see so many people supporting the comments made on the e-petition on the Downing Street website which started early in 2008, all of you seem to agree with the issue raised. Although the issue that I was angry with and petitioned against in late 2007 never actually came to fruition. It is a fact that this never happened in 2008, thus allowing live music to continue 'reasonably' un-interrupted.”

Andrew Bishop owner of amp and PA manufacturer Carlsbro noted: The petition has more than double the number of signatures of the petition calling on the PM to impose an arms embargo on Israel following its Gaza offensive. Once again, public concern about the regulation of live music proves to be greater than the either the government or the media appreciate."

Bishop also added that the rumours were indeed unfounded: “The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) confirmed last week that the government had no plans for new noise limiter legislation, and that the petition was unfounded. It would seem that rumours in early 2008 about the end of a two-year moratorium of enforcement of Noise at Work regulations at entertainment venues were the petitioner's starting point. But even under that legislation noise limiters cannot be forced on a venue.”

[b]Andrew Bishop owner of amp and PA manufacturer Carlsbro noted: The petition has more than double the number of signatures of the petition calling on the PM to impose an arms embargo on Israel following its Gaza offensive. Once again, public concern about the regulation of live music proves to be greater than the either the government or the media appreciate."[/b]

And that is [b]PRECISELY[/b] the point as far as I'm concerned.

Those who chose, for reasons best known to themselves, not to "waste" their signature on what they considered to be a less than "kosher" petition should examine their consciences I think.

All IMHO, naturally.

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='389463' date='Jan 23 2009, 11:57 AM'][b]Andrew Bishop owner of amp and PA manufacturer Carlsbro noted: The petition has more than double the number of signatures of the petition calling on the PM to impose an arms embargo on Israel following its Gaza offensive. Once again, public concern about the regulation of live music proves to be greater than the either the government or the media appreciate."[/b]

Those who chose, for reasons best known to themselves, not to "waste" their signature on what they considered to be a less than "kosher" petition should examine their consciences I think.

All IMHO, naturally.[/quote]

I think anyone that thinks that opposing a non-existent threat is more important than calling on the PM to impose an arms embargo on a government that uses white phosphorus on UN schools should examine their conscience.

IMHO, also.

Edited by bremen

[quote name='bremen' post='389487' date='Jan 23 2009, 12:18 PM']I think anyone that thinks that opposing a non-existent threat is more important than calling on the PM to impose an arms embargo on a government that uses white phosphorus on UN schools should examine their conscience.

IMHO, also.[/quote]
Big +1

My signature has value. If I start giving it away willy nilly to every false alarm of a petition, then its value will be eroded. I believe in only giving my valuable signature to causes I have looked into, understood, and agree with.

Yes th number of sigaturies indicates the strength of feeling around live music, that is a good thing. However, it also indicates how many people are prepared to sign up to something without understanding what they are protesting for/against.

A petition to the govenment used to hold weight because every person signing it did so because they understood and supported the cause. If we can now have over 70,000 people signing something without knowing what they are signing it's no wonder that petitions are easier for the govenment to ignore.

The causes that matter (Gaza being a good example) get lost in the noise, and that, for me, is the fault of those ill informed and lazy individuals who have signed this petition.

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='389463' date='Jan 23 2009, 11:57 AM'][b]Andrew Bishop owner of amp and PA manufacturer Carlsbro noted: The petition has more than double the number of signatures of the petition calling on the PM to impose an arms embargo on Israel following its Gaza offensive. Once again, public concern about the regulation of live music proves to be greater than the either the government or the media appreciate."[/b]

Your point seems to be something of a moveable feast as far as I can see.

While people are being distracted signing pointless petitions and making it abundantly clear they actually have no insight into the issue, there are other petitions languishing on the site which address genuine concerns.

Try both of these if you'd like to add your name to something that actually have some factual basis.

[url="http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Save-Live-Music/"]http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Save-Live-Music/[/url]

[url="http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Scrapthe696/"]http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Scrapthe696/[/url]

One of the things that gets thrown at me when I am preaching the virtues of not mixing cabs is why do so many bass players use 1x15/2x10 or 4x10 stacks. My sometimes reply that they dont know any better or are too stupid to know any better depending on how confrontational I am feeling. Here (and in all the duplicate threads) is the proof. This petition just proves that there are 70,000 people stupid enough to believe everything they read on the internet.

Hell I can fart louder than 70db.

Edited by bass_ferret

I think it more demonstrates that people will do when emails tell them rather than pay attention to what's going on in the world around them. Of course, live music venue restrictions would actually touch most people in the UK's live rather more than overseas people continuing to be bombed. This will also prove a useful example of how 80,000 people can be wrong.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='389551' date='Jan 23 2009, 01:52 PM']One of the things that gets thrown at me when I am preaching the virtues of not mixing cabs is why do so many bass players use 1x15/2x10 or 4x10 stacks. My sometimes reply that they dont know any better or are too stupid to know any better depending on how confrontational I am feeling. Here (and in all the duplicate threads) is the proof. This petition just proves that there are 70,000 people stupid enough to believe everything they read on the internet.[/quote]

Hang on - I've been as skeptical as anyone about this (see post #5) but I mix cabs. A fifteen and a six, to be specific. Tell me again why I shouldn't?

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='389609' date='Jan 23 2009, 02:41 PM']Seems I'm in a tiny minority then.

Not unknown, I must admit. :P

Position maintained and conscience perfectly clear though. :) :huh:[/quote]

Fair enough.

So where do you stand on the matter of mixing cabs? ;)

[quote name='bremen' post='389581' date='Jan 23 2009, 02:16 PM']Hang on - I've been as skeptical as anyone about this (see post #5) but I mix cabs. A fifteen and a six, to be specific. Tell me again why I shouldn't?[/quote]
Are you taking the micky or have you not seen any of the flame wars ;)

All I have ever said is that having different cabs, as in not multiples of the same cabs, reproducing the same signal, can produce unpredictable results due to phase cancellation. This does not apply when using a crossover, as I presume your 15 and 6 does, or if biamping a 1x15/2x10 using a crossover for example. But putting full range through both cabs wont always be the sum of the parts.

[quote name='bremen' post='389613' date='Jan 23 2009, 02:45 PM']Fair enough.

So where do you stand on the matter of mixing cabs? ;)[/quote]

Usually, about 6 feet in front of 'em. :P :)

I've actually used 1x15 + 2x10 for years, but I'm currrently on a 1x15 and 2x8 combination.

I'd agree 100% with bass_ferret on the unpredictability of mixing dissimilar cabs if not bi amped or utilising a cross over.

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='389609' date='Jan 23 2009, 02:41 PM']Seems I'm in a tiny minority then.

Not unknown, I must admit. ;)

Position maintained and conscience perfectly clear though. :P :)[/quote]
I signed both the noise level and the arms embargo petitions.

While the noise level petition is not very soundly based, noise level meters are coming into more and more venues. Anyone acquainted with the history of motorcycle regulation, specifically the helmet law and the noise level restrictions, will realise that prevalence of noise meters may well lead to their becoming mandatory, and that prosecution of offenders takes second place to tightening the restrictions so that the obedient majority are penalised by the disobedient minority.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='393089' date='Jan 27 2009, 07:24 PM']Specific idea's or random mixing of cabs ;)[/quote]

Ok, I admit, not random mixing. But running dissimilar drivers fullrange for a certain sound, like the Midget on top of the Big Sub for an insanely loud angry growly rock tone with massive clean bottom.

Alex