Why become a member? ×

New Swr Lightweight Cabs

Bernmeister

Hi All,
Just checked out the Swr website to find that they've just announced their new
Golight series of bass cabs.

Check the link for more info.

[url="http://www.swrsound.com/products//search.php?section=swrsound&cat=golightseries"]http://www.swrsound.com/products//search.p...t=golightseries[/url]

It's all just a devious plot to put chiropractors out of business.
Now if they would just make a version of the SM-1500 that wasn't built from dark matter I'd be sorted.
Pity that the Golights haven't got the chrome grills, the chrome looks great on stage.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='374480' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:40 PM']Just a random observation / whinge...

Why are cab builders so intent to make anonymous black boxes? Surely a little flair won't hurt...[/quote]

It's not anonymous black boxes that piss me off. It's anonymous grey carpet covered ones...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='374480' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:40 PM']Just a random observation / whinge...

Why are cab builders so intent to make anonymous black boxes? Surely a little flair won't hurt...[/quote]
Amen to that. EBS Prolines have chrome grills but the Neoline are black. Must weigh less.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='374769' date='Jan 9 2009, 08:47 AM']I'm a bit dubious about a front firing 4x10" with such a high SPL. If its correct them put me down for 2.

+1 on the dull black box - my Schroeder 1212L has the blue rhino finish.[/quote]

Yeah - I noted the specs on the 1x15 as 102dB -3dB at 45Hz & 15kHz. Besides the fact that giving an SPL at just two frequencies is pretty pointless, I'm highly dubious that it can achieve that kind of volume at 45hz anyway.

[quote name='Musky' post='374945' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:48 AM']Yeah - I noted the specs on the 1x15 as 102dB -3dB at 45Hz & 15kHz. Besides the fact that giving an SPL at just two frequencies is pretty pointless, I'm highly dubious that it can achieve that kind of volume at 45hz anyway.[/quote]

I think there's some punctuation missing or their trying to confuse. So here is a shorthand version: -

It's 102dB at 1w @ 1m. General guide to efficiency. Full stop. (Point of measurement in Hz, not known)

The rest is a guide to overall frequency response. It's -3dB down from the nominal output level at the 2 mentioned frequencies. So as a guesstimate it produces 102dB (probably + or - 3dB - again, measurement standard not known) between about 70Hz & 14Khz.

It's loud.

Balcro.

Dont forget there is a relationship between sensitivity and frequency response. The sensitivity is measured by 1watt at 1 metre.

This means they stick a mic 1m in front of the cab in a padded cell, and feed it with a generated signal where the frequency is varied. This gives the frequency response and the highest point on the frequency response is given as sensitivity.

The frequency response can change with more power so is probably measured for lots of different power inputs and the best results chosen.

Or they just make it up.

Am I a cynical old bastard ;)

[quote name='Boneless' post='375783' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:40 PM']Thing is, the only way to actually get to know how a cabinet works is to try it in person.

It's a shame, really, because by reading the data sheet, if the specs are real, you could get a vague "hint", at least, of how the cab may sound.[/quote]
Absolutely. But with so much gear being bought from etailers, ebay and this forum it is not always possible to listen first. Thats why going to the local gig circuit (not stadiums) and local music shops are so important for listening to bass gear.

[quote name='Musky' post='374945' date='Jan 9 2009, 06:48 AM']Yeah - I noted the specs on the 1x15 as 102dB -3dB at 45Hz & 15kHz. Besides the fact that giving an SPL at just two frequencies is pretty pointless, I'm highly dubious that it can achieve that kind of volume at 45hz anyway.[/quote]It can't. If it's down 3dB at 45 Hz then the average sensitivity will be at best in the 95-97dB range. The 102dB quoted undoubtably is a midrange peak up around 2kHz.
Contrary to advertising claims there are no magic drivers or mystical methods by which one company has any advantage over any other company.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='376193' date='Jan 10 2009, 10:06 AM']Hi-fi speaker reviewers used to have an agreed standard fequency for sensitivity measurements. I think it was 1 kHz, but I could be misremembering.[/quote]
There are standards, having to do with where the driver is operating in purely pistonic mode, which is roughly from 100-200 Hz as far as MI woofers is concerned. This specifically removes midrange and high-frequency breakup mode peaks from the equation. It is those same peaks that manufacturers like SWR and Eden quote, while Ampeg, for one, is pretty honest. In other words, any manufacturer who makes claims far off from what Ampeg does for the same driver configuration and box size is probably lying.