Why become a member? ×

Toasted got a new bass

Toasted

[quote][quote name='slaphappygarry' post='3553' date='May 21 2007, 12:35 PM']That looks really really wrong to me.[/quote]

Good job it's not your bass then - eh?[/quote]

Hmmm, i am sure its a great bass, just looks kinda banana shaped. :)

Any 'names' use these things? i dont think i have even seen one of those before

G

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='4142' date='May 22 2007, 02:23 AM']Good job it's not your bass then - eh?

Hmmm, i am sure its a great bass, just looks kinda banana shaped. :)

Any 'names' use these things? i dont think i have even seen one of those before

G[/quote]

I'm sure I saw a photo of Leland Sklar playing one of these - can't remember when/where though?

Hamster

The fanned frets, slanted pickups certainly give it an unusual look when you're used to looking at straight lines. Would love to play it to feel how the fanning works in practice - it's such an original idea. I like it.

I really like the headstock - it's a real "craftsman-like" take on the Fender concept.

[quote name='RichBowman' post='4045' date='May 22 2007, 12:03 AM']What sort of difference do the scale lengths make?[/quote]

Here's what Dingwall have to say [i]The tension and tone from string to string is more even and low note definition is greatly improved.[/i]

I agree with that. The unison notes all over the fretboard sound EXACTLY the same. The tension from string to string is very close indeed.

The longer E gives a nice balance, and the shorter scale lengths of the D and G especially give them real snap. It has the best popping sound of any bass that I've played.

When you couple the Banjo frets with the Novax system is makes the most precise sounding and playing bass that I've ever used.

I dearly love my Celinder but this bass gives it a run for its money. It is a good job one is a 60's P/J and one is a 70's J/J otherwise I might be tempted into an affair.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='4064' date='May 22 2007, 12:18 AM']That is pretty cool. What string gauges work best with the differing length: is a light-B best or a heavy G?[/quote]

Dingwall reccomend GHS M5200 Contact Core Super Steels for the Super J basses, they are 45-105s all with taper wound cores. :)

Edited by Toasted

Thanks for the Dingwall contact info...

And it's a lovely looking instrument now I can see all of it.

I've now got serious GAS for a fan-fret bass. I wish I'd taken the plunge and bought [url="http://www.bas-extravaganza.nl/uplfiles/5_Bassen_B04_Waaier_3_800x600.jpg"]this one[/url] while it was still avaailable.

[quote name='Toasted' post='3558' date='May 21 2007, 01:44 PM']QUOTE(Toasted @ May 20 2007, 08:30 AM)
Also, the fanned frets have had no learning curve for me - honestly - it's just like picking up any other bass.[/quote]

Does this mean its no better than a standard bass or that fretting is no harder?
It's easy to be skeptical as its so unusual but i can see advantages especially of the different [u]string[/u] lengths , iv'e often wondered if basses had headstock's arranged so the E string had the longest bridge to tuner distance it would, aesthetics aside be a better arrangement (in the way some some people only string the e&a through body)

actually steve norris, tim commerford has a doubleneck fender with one neck tuned E-A-D-G and the bottom one B-E-A-D (if i remember rightly). He had a normal neck for standard tuning and used a left handed neck for the lower tuning because in his opinion it helps with the tension.

[quote name='steve-norris' post='4694' date='May 22 2007, 10:25 PM']Does this mean its no better than a standard bass or that fretting is no harder?[/quote]

I mean that fretting is no harder. I thought that my muscle memory would be shot switching from parallel to fanned fret basses, and it really isn't.

This bass has a number of advantages over a parallel fret bass, most of which I've mentioned previously in the thread :)

If you have a specific question I'd be glad to answer :huh: