Why become a member? ×

P&J

Ant1972

1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

. . . . I tried to but got asked to stop faffing about between songs as it was holding everyone else up.

IMO I'd probably agree with the band. It's hard to accept, I know, but the flow of the gig is usually more important than any benefit you can get from using different basses. 

I know the subtle differences are important, but keep that for the record. The gig needs to gain momentum and even guitarists swapping instruments can slow everything down. Someone should give them a slap when they take 5 mins to find the right sound on the pedal board!

Of the recent gigs I've seen none of the bassists has changed a bass, from my local gig to Vulfpeck, Keb Mo, Jon Cleary and Vintage Trouble, and on Youtube, from The Allman Brothers and Bryan Adams to Toto, one bass covered everything. When I saw the Stones, from the back of the O2, Daryl Jones's sound was exactly the same, even when he switched basses!

• Like 1

On 02/10/2019 at 13:57, Davo-London said:

Jamiroquai"s bassist Paul Turner uses vintage P and Js.  I've seen him switch in studio sessions.  I have no idea if he does this on stage.

Davo

Ahh yeah, you've just reminded me, ones black, the others white. Pretty sure he did switch when I saw them last, he definitely had both on stage with him. 

5 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The most changes I’ve seen on bass was last night when the bassist for The Addicts switched from playing with a pick to fingers for one song.

Why do some people have to be so flamboyant? 😉

• Haha 1