Why become a member? ×

What are Wharfedale up to...?

wateroftyne

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='369804' date='Jan 4 2009, 11:44 AM']Who's Steve Grindrod (fnarr sounds a bit rude).[/quote]

Ive heard that name before, i think he was a technical bod at marshall

From another forum

It was introduced into the Marshall Club & Country amp range in the late 70s, I think. The designer was Steve Grindrod. Steve, along with many others, believes that when we hear nice power amp distortion, most of it is the PI distorting and interacting with the output tranny, speaker(s) and feedback network, not the power tubes.

AFAIK Marshall have not used it in any other amps - strange.

Steve Grindrod is now the main man at Vox and is responsible for the Vox Valvetronix and Tonelab series, which essentially are digital modellers with a real, distorting PI in the power amp or output stage.

Steve is also responsible for all the recent Vox valve amps.

Edited by bumnote

[quote name='bumnote' post='369812' date='Jan 4 2009, 11:51 AM']Ive heard that name before, i think he was a technical bod at marshall

From another forum

It was introduced into the Marshall Club & Country amp range in the late 70s, I think. The designer was Steve Grindrod. Steve, along with many others, believes that when we hear nice power amp distortion, most of it is the PI distorting and interacting with the output tranny, speaker(s) and feedback network, not the power tubes.

AFAIK Marshall have not used it in any other amps - strange.

Steve Grindrod is now the main man at Vox and is responsible for the Vox Valvetronix and Tonelab series, which essentially are digital modellers with a real, distorting PI in the power amp or output stage.

Steve is also responsible for all the recent Vox valve amps.[/quote]

I cannot say too much but there is a tie up between Vox and Wharfedale...... Wharfedale is part of a much larger organization who are one of the largest wholly owned musical electronics manufactures in China.....

also I remember there being talks once of the purchase of Marshall...

It does indeed look like they are branching out into the Guitar / Bass / PA sectors. Lets hope they use some of Castle Acoustics speaker expertise in the cabinet department. My main Hi-Fi speakers are a set of Castles from the early 90's that are still awesome and bass sound rather good through them (if you like a compressed tight sound)

[quote name='crez5150' post='369821' date='Jan 4 2009, 12:01 PM']I cannot say too much but there is a tie up between Vox and Wharfedale...... Wharfedale is part of a much larger organization who are one of the largest wholly owned musical electronics manufactures in China.....

also I remember there being talks once of the purchase of Marshall...[/quote]

If you google and look in the plexi palace he says that vox amps are made in the corner of the wharfdale factory in china. There is a new ac 30 made in china in the states for$999

It would therefore not be unreasonable to see a wharfdale brand.

Could the same place be making the current chinese marshalls?

[quote name='bumnote' post='369827' date='Jan 4 2009, 12:10 PM']If you google and look in the plexi palace he says that vox amps are made in the corner of the wharfdale factory in china. There is a new ac 30 made in china in the states for$999

It would therefore not be unreasonable to see a wharfdale brand.

Could the same place be making the current chinese marshalls?[/quote]

Ahem...... I couldn't say :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='369799' date='Jan 4 2009, 11:37 AM']Hmm. They have a full-page advert in this month's Bass Player mag which doesn't really give much away.
[url="http://www.wharfedale.com/"]There's something on their website[/url], but it gives nothing away either.
I wonder what they're going to come up with...?[/quote]

It does indeed look like Prosebass is right. Just another expansion into a new area.

Oh God, it's so sad. All those great British Companies now reduced to just a brand within a conglomerate and all with interchageable parts. See also Harman International and Harvard Electronics. Just holders of Brand names. I must go and cry into my beer.

Balcro.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='369881' date='Jan 4 2009, 01:02 PM']I didn't know Wharfedale had been swallowed up. How sad.[/quote]

I Wouldn't say swallowed up...... but they are part of the IAG group of companies that own brands such as Mission, Quad, Tag, Castle, Audiolab as well as having three lighting brands and their own yacht design company..... You should see their manufacturing plant....... Outsanding!

[quote name='crez5150' post='369807' date='Jan 4 2009, 11:47 AM']Well having worked for their Pro division for a number of years, there was always talk of introducing low cost instrument cabs and amps.... perhaps this is it.... Expect to see some half decent product at decent prices!![/quote]

Agreed. Did you know Steve Hewlett during your time there, Crez? Anyway, he was the head designer at Fane for many years before (eventually) becoming technical director for IAG. Lovely fellow. He is a power speaker man (from the south west in fact) - so it is hardly surprising that IAG is now producing sound reinforcement products. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have to offer.

[quote name='stevie' post='370337' date='Jan 4 2009, 08:52 PM']Agreed. Did you know Steve Hewlett during your time there, Crez? Anyway, he was the head designer at Fane for many years before (eventually) becoming technical director for IAG. Lovely fellow. He is a power speaker man (from the south west in fact) - so it is hardly surprising that IAG is now producing sound reinforcement products. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have to offer.[/quote]

Yes Matey I know Steve... Lives out in China most of the time now

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MythSte' post='383126' date='Jan 17 2009, 12:17 PM']they look foul, thats such a shame ;)[/quote]

What a disapointment.

On the other hand I suppose they have got to try to make them look different, They will want to estsblish a 'brand'
and it might take a while to get used to it..

Personally [ducks head] I think Mark Bass looks awfull, although Im getting a bit more used to it, but they seem to be doing ok.

I like it, except for the "wharfdale" badge bit, that doesn't look quite right.

It's a bit different, yea, but then again my amp is also quite a bit different looking, so i suppose it's just what i go for. Seems to have some good features built into it as well, interesting to see what the price will be.

[quote name='bumnote' post='383151' date='Jan 17 2009, 12:34 PM']What a disapointment.

On the other hand I suppose they have got to try to make them look different, They will want to estsblish a 'brand'
and it might take a while to get used to it..

Personally [ducks head] I think Mark Bass looks awfull, although Im getting a bit more used to it, but they seem to be doing ok.[/quote]

I think the Wharfedale brand is very firmly established here in England.... having been around for over 70 years!!

What will happen is you will start to see these products popping up all over the place. If the quality of them is as good as their pro-audio products then they will be extremely good value
for money and decently built. Having been at the main factory in China on several occasions I can honestly say the QC would be impeccable.

[quote name='crez5150' post='383193' date='Jan 17 2009, 01:04 PM']I think the Wharfedale brand is very firmly established here in England.... having been around for over 70 years!![/quote]
It is, but they're not established in the bass amplification market so they have to build a reputation.