Why become a member? ×

Help! To buy or not to buy?

budget bassist

Right, i have a problem. I played a musicman bongo 4 HH in teal pearl the other day at reverb priced at a fairly low £1050 (it's been there a while, i played it a few months ago too) and my god, it's just effortless to play, the neck is the perfect width, between jazz and precision and it's sooooo smooth! Also the body is really really comfortably to sit with, much more so than my other basses. Plus it has that classic musicman growl but much more versatile, i loved it!

Now here's the big question. If i sold my musicman SUB (the red one), my jazz bass and my tobias i could afford this beauty. I'd be losing a lot, but i think this could be THE one and rolls all my favourite features of my basses into one. The playable neck of the jazz, obviously not the same, but it feels really playable to me. The small, yet comfortable body of my tobias, no doubt owing somewhat to the 24 frets, which i also really like. And the growl of my musicman.

So do i do it? Would i miss the others? Even though this seems to cover ALL the bases...

Decisions... Talk me out of (or into) it!

I'd say go for the Bongo. I know if I was in your position i'd sell the others and go for this. You wanted a Bongo preamp in your mod'ed SUB? I think this is your chance to go the whole way. As you've said, the Bonjo has a fantastic range of tones already.

You only play one bass at a time, why not make that one bass your dream bass?

Ps - If the SUBs going for sale, I would be interested :) lol.

[quote name='Raving_camel' post='369725' date='Jan 4 2009, 04:07 AM']I'd say go for the Bongo. I know if I was in your position i'd sell the others and go for this. You wanted a Bongo preamp in your mod'ed SUB? I think this is your chance to go the whole way. As you've said, the Bonjo has a fantastic range of tones already.

You only play one bass at a time, why not make that one bass your dream bass?

Ps - If the SUBs going for sale, I would be interested :) lol.[/quote]
Thanks for the advice, and if i decide to sell, you'll have first dibs on the SUB :huh:

[quote name='martthebass' post='369964' date='Jan 4 2009, 02:42 PM']IIRC Bongo's pricing 2nd hand is just as dire as Rays/Sterlings.

May be worth selling the Suba and putting a want ad on here for a Bongo?

I would never buy (another) new MM.[/quote]
I've decided (due to the advice of some of the EBMM forumites) that my SUB isn't going anywhere (sorry raving camel), i really would miss that sucker. If i get the prices i want for my tobias and my jazz, i could afford a used bongo from the states and, with a bit of saving, afford the customs too.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='369967' date='Jan 4 2009, 02:45 PM']Just out of interest, what would sort of price would you want for the Tobias?[/quote]
PM'd

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='369724' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:25 AM']...i think this could be THE one and rolls all my favourite features of my basses into one.[/quote]

If it's really [i]that [/i]good then surely this is a no brainer; go for it mate :)

If I were you, I wouldn't just buy a random Bongo - I'd buy the one that you've been playing. Ordering from the US and getting one shipped may be slightly cheaper than buying new here but you may end up with something that doesn't feel anywhere near as good as the one in Reverb. Every large manufacture ends up with a couple of duds slipping past quality control and not every instrument produced on mass will be the same. Not all Stingray's feel the same, not every Jazz bass feels the same, etc...

If you walked into Reverb with £900 cash they may do you a deal if its been there a while. Something to think about anyway…

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='370085' date='Jan 4 2009, 05:00 PM']If it's really [i]that [/i]good then surely this is a no brainer; go for it mate :huh:

If I were you, I wouldn't just buy a random Bongo - I'd buy the one that you've been playing. Ordering from the US and getting one shipped may be slightly cheaper than buying new here but you may end up with something that doesn't feel anywhere near as good as the one in Reverb. Every large manufacture ends up with a couple of duds slipping past quality control and not every instrument produced on mass will be the same. Not all Stingray's feel the same, not every Jazz bass feels the same, etc...

If you walked into Reverb with £900 cash they may do you a deal if its been there a while. Something to think about anyway…[/quote]

Very very good advice, Do NOT buy from the USA unless you are prepared to take a big risk on the bass (in my experience EBMM's QC is as bad as Fender's), and if you do, don't forget to factor in postage & Customs duty, which can be bloody expensive
Get down to Reverb and wave your cash around - amazing the difference actually showing the folding to the manager can make to the price of a bass :)
Good luck
Chris

[quote name='budget bassist' post='370228' date='Jan 4 2009, 07:17 PM']hmm, cheers for your advice all, reckon i could get them down to £850 on it? Worth a try i suppose!
I'm really trying not to have to sell my SUB bass![/quote]

If you don’t ask you don’t get, but I think you’ll have to really chat them up with all your charm for them to reduce it by almost 20% for cash. Do you know the staff in there?

With regards to the SUB, can you ever see yourself ever playing it in favour of the Bongo? I know sentimental value is priceless (I’d never even consider selling one of my basses because of its sentimental value to me) so if it means that much to you then don’t get rid of it, but realistically if the Bongo is as good as you say it is then is there any point in keeping the SUB?

It doesn’t sound like the Bongo is going anywhere in the short term, so take some time and mull it over. If the Bongo were to be sold tomorrow morning, how much would you regret not getting it? How many other Bongos have you played?

The SUB is a different sound to the bongo, while the bongo gets close, it's not quite the same, and i'd always want something like that in my arsenal, if only for sentimental reasons.

And i've only tried the one bongo (played it twice now), though i'd like to try a few more, but they're fairly uncommon. I know there's one in the bass cellar, in desert gold no less (the colour, that given the choice, i'd have over any other), but the less said about that the better i think. I don't think i'd be able to get them down to a good price anyway, even if i did want to go in there. If anyone knows of anywhere else that might have one, or if anybody has one i could try, i'd be very grateful :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='370267' date='Jan 4 2009, 07:44 PM']The SUB is a different sound to the bongo, while the bongo gets close, it's not quite the same, and i'd always want something like that in my arsenal, if only for sentimental reasons.

And i've only tried the one bongo (played it twice now), though i'd like to try a few more, but they're fairly uncommon. I know there's one in the bass cellar, in desert gold no less (the colour, that given the choice, i'd have over any other), but the less said about that the better i think. I don't think i'd be able to get them down to a good price anyway, even if i did want to go in there. If anyone knows of anywhere else that might have one, or if anybody has one i could try, i'd be very grateful :)[/quote]

I've owned two SUBs and two Bongos, and at the same time, and I have to say I doubt there's anything a SUB can do that a Bongo can't do. Certainly IME if you're A-Bing there's nothing that a Bongo can't do in this respect that isn't down to differences in strings or EQ/amplification. SUBs are great basses but the preamp is quite limited compared to the Bongo's
Get down there with £800 cash and be very cool. You might sugest you're taking it to their competitor if they don't play ball. If they still don't, leave them your phone number and suggest they call you when they've come to their senses :huh:
Chris

Thanks for the advice, might suggest the idea that i'm thinking of buying from the states.... Considering the bass has been there for a good while, it wouldn't be remarkably hard to strike a deal, particularly with reverb's recent reputation in lowering prices significantly.

I'm also considering a sterling, i tried one a while ago and i really liked the neck. I know they're not as versatile as a bongo, but they're more common and i could probably pick one up cheaper off evilbay. Not to mention i think they're a bit prettier... I know i want a musicman though :)

What Ben & Chris said. If you like [b]that[/b] one - buy [b]that[/b] one. If it's that good, sell [b]everything[/b] to own it. I have kicked myself everyday for not buying the Carl Thompson with the Wal electrics that was on the 'bay a fair while back. And now I wouldn't be in a position to buy it even if it came up...

Edited by johnnylager