Why become a member? ×

Looking to replace my pickups!

:amaze:

So I got a good hunk of cash for christmas, and have been wanting to upgrade the pickups in my MIM Jazz for some time now.

Right now, I play with the both pickups on full all the time, and i want a big, full, in your face kinda sound that cuts through the mix, and is possibly a little bit gritty (though i can get that with OD pedal).

What would you guys recommend? Nothing crazy expensive, but I'm willing to drop a bit of cash if it'll improve the tone of my bass.

Wizard pickups get great reviews from people on here so i'd check them out.

However there's many to choose from, and i'm sure the many people on here who have swapped pickups out will be able to assist better than I :)

[quote name=':amaze:' post='365127' date='Dec 28 2008, 08:33 PM']So I got a good hunk of cash for christmas, and have been wanting to upgrade the pickups in my MIM Jazz for some time now.

Right now, I play with the both pickups on full all the time, and i want a big, full, in your face kinda sound that cuts through the mix, and is possibly a little bit gritty (though i can get that with OD pedal).

What would you guys recommend? Nothing crazy expensive, but I'm willing to drop a bit of cash if it'll improve the tone of my bass.[/quote]EMG's are quiet, powerful and full of tone.

I've got Wizard 64s on my Squier VM 70s Jazz and it's the best sounding bass I've had (adding a Bad Ass 2 helped as well). Most people on here actually get the more powerful, darker sounding Wizard 84s though.

The good thing about Wizard is that you can talk to the guys who make them and they can advise on what would suit your needs best.

[quote name=':amaze:' post='365969' date='Dec 30 2008, 04:05 AM']i've heard that from a number of sources, i think i'll be going with that!

how hard is it to install new pickups?[/quote]

It's simple if you know your way around a soldering iron. It's basically a case of disconnecting 2 wires per pickup, and reconnecting the corresponding 2 wires on the new pickup.

Watch with the MIM Jazz pickups though, the bridge pickup and neck pickups are usually the same size, which means when you buy a replacement pair, they'll probably give you a larger one to put in the bridge which will go in, but it'll be a tight fit and may require some sanding. In my experience at least, although I know there are some others on here who've had the same issue.