Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have been delving into Ska lately, especially the earlier classic Ska/reggae crossover style.

I have found inventive bass lines, often using walking lines or arpeggio patterns. Some are pretty fast and tricky to play. 

I have prepared this lesson of Five Classic Ska Bass Lines. These are some of my favourites and you are sure to have fun playing them. 

Follow the link below for the full video lesson.

Enjoy, and I’d love your feedback on the lesson, or suggestions of other Ska tunes to teach. 

https://youtu.be/KmdrGmk0FjU

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play mainly reggae but I do like a bit of ska  , and I like riff number 5 , that’s a good finger workout 👍

Great thread  Greg 🙂

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always love the Ska songs in our set - we do monkey man, more specials than toots, and always much faster than that even if we try. A lot of our songs end up getting a bit ska'd from time to time. We do the reel big fish brown eyed girl and 'party like its' version of timber. We are generally a conflict of people who want to play different things.

I hadn't heard 5, sounds a good one to try.

My normal favourite is Impression I get from a bass playing point of view. I want to do madness stuff but apparently our sax player has the wrong type of sax!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

This is probably one of my favourite ska basslines , really good fun to play 🙂

 

Yep me too. Admittedly we used to do the Specials take on it but I would go nuts whenever we played it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Of all the music I love to play this is my favourite. Thank you. 

 

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Of all the music I love to play this is my favourite. Thank you. 

No worries, this lesson is proving really popular. I had no idea so many love Ska. The bass lines are awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I play mainly reggae but I do like a bit of ska  , and I like riff number 5 , that’s a good finger workout 👍

Great thread  Greg 🙂

Yep that bass line is a great workout!! Glad you like the lesson. 

I’ll check the tune out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Always love the Ska songs in our set - we do monkey man, more specials than toots, and always much faster than that even if we try. A lot of our songs end up getting a bit ska'd from time to time. We do the reel big fish brown eyed girl and 'party like its' version of timber. We are generally a conflict of people who want to play different things.

I hadn't heard 5, sounds a good one to try.

My normal favourite is Impression I get from a bass playing point of view. I want to do madness stuff but apparently our sax player has the wrong type of sax!

 

You’ll have to tell your sax player to sort it out! I love a bit of Madness. 

Your band sounds interesting. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I don’t get to play with them very often, but when I do dep for a Ska band, this is one of my favourites.

 

Awesome song. There is a lesson on youtube from "Cambridge Bass Lessons" on it.

This is a cracking modern Ska/Punk track that is great fun to play:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I don’t get to play with them very often, but when I do dep for a Ska band, this is one of my favourites.

 

Thanks for this recommendation. What an inventive bass line. I like the sort of disco octave in it!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

Awesome song. There is a lesson on youtube from "Cambridge Bass Lessons" on it.

This is a cracking modern Ska/Punk track that is great fun to play:

 

That’s another cracking track, cheers! 

You guys are really adding to my Ska ‘vocabulary’!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, greghagger said:

Thanks for this recommendation. What an inventive bass line. I like the sort of disco octave in it!

Maybe you could do a video on it? I love the little bass solo.

Edited by Hobbayne
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came across this tune in my collection by , Justin hinds & the dominoes, it’s a good  fun ska/reggae Bassline 🙂

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want an easy one to teach your students Greg ,  this is a good one ☝️

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we are just looking into this one. Its not a classic by any means..

But it has a good bassline. Which I should go off and learn

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, we are just looking into this one. Its not a classic by any means..

But it has a good bassline. Which I should go off and learn

Nice Bassline that , I like the change of tempo at 1.19.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

If you want an easy one to teach your students Greg ,  this is a good one ☝️

 

Nice, thanks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Similar Content

    • By greghagger
      Learn this classic Bernard Edwards bass line from Chic’s Good Times. One if the best riffs ever, in my opinion. 
      Video lesson and free PDF in the video description on YouTube. 
       
      Enjoy! 
      https://youtu.be/sobDKX-1zJk
       
    • By greghagger
      If you are looking for a way to practice and get more familiar with Chord Tones then this exercise is perfect for you.  It’s short but very effective. 
      Video lesson and PDF with notation or Tab. 
      https://youtu.be/OQaTjjUElBE
       
×
×
  • Create New...