Why become a member? ×

Pizz technique

Jakester

I acquired a Stagg EUB a few months ago. I’ve replaced the strings and I’ve been working through some the stuff I played on electric - basically concert band/swing stuff, and can just about get to the end of a piece without my arms falling off or my hands cramping. That’s progress!

One thing though I really find myself struggling with is ‘faster’ pizz sections.

I say faster, I mean faster for me i.e. probably anything more than a repeating 1/4 note figure!

I've consciously worked on using the side of my index finger to get that fuller sound,  but the minute the part gets quicker I look down and I find I’m playing with fingertips a’la electric bass again, particularly on the D and G strings. 

Any advice to eradicate this? Is it just practice?

That’s a very helpful video. You can see Eddie using both the side of finger and fingertips. Side finger gives good sustain on long notes and quarters. When you get quicker you’ll find you are more comfortable with fingertips. So, Jakester, I’d say there’s not a lot wrong with your technique for starters.

43 minutes ago, bassace said:

So, Jakester, I’d say there’s not a lot wrong with your technique for starters.

😂 I’d say there’s probably not a lot right with it, but you’re very kind!

58 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Check out this Eddie Gomez video, particularly the section starting about 31 minutes in, where he is switching between different right-hand techniques.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0GC8kh0-2o

I’ll check it out tonight. 

Thanks both. 

Eddie and Renaud (1st name terms we are on) both have lighter strings and lower actions. I do not know how yours is set up, but this is a large factor, especially if your right hand is not DB conditioned. 

Obv, they are both monster players and that never hurts. 

My feeling is that you'll end up going more horizontal as described, but that you should still try and keep as vertical as possible for the sound. So it's a continuum rather than a distinct "switch" if that makes sense. This Christian McBride clip shows this pretty well I think - the faster he plays, the more horizontal his fingers go, but they're pretty vertical. Obviously, it depends a huge amount on the player, and he has pretty big hands, which helps.

Edited by tinyd

Nice to see Christian is using both index and middle finger ('cause that's what I do).  I used to play with the middle finger only and got awful blisters.  Most people seem to use the index finger only.

Once had the chance to ask Alec Dankworth how to avoid bleeding fingers and he said a) share the duty, b) turn your amp up (ie don't pluck so hard) and most important of all c) practice a lot!