Why become a member? ×

Anyone played a Zoot bass?

molan

Almost took one in a PX deal a few months back but never quite got it sorted.

Been vaguely interested in them ever since but never seen one in a shop anywhere near me so haven't been able to try one out.

For a UK custom builder thye don't seem to get as much 'press' as Sei, Shuker, Overwater, GB etc.

Just wondered if someone out there had any experience and what they thought of them in terms of feel and build quality?

I have this;

Evil.

Super neck. (think Sterling, or more less tapered jazz)
Virtually flat fretboard.
Plays brilliantly. Wasn't made for me. It's the prototype!
18v electrics, East E-pro EQ, Seymour Duncan Pick-up, active/passive switching, Series/Parallel switching. All I'd change is the fretboard- for Ebony or Maple, although the Rosewood is a good example of what it should sound like.

As for Mike, I can't speak highly enough of him. One of the nicest guys I've met. Nothing is too much trouble, and he'll talk bass for hours if you let him.
He knows his stuff! Seek him out in his Witham Workshop.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='360198' date='Dec 21 2008, 01:12 PM']I have this;

Evil.

Super neck. (think Sterling, or more less tapered jazz)
Virtually flat fretboard.
Plays brilliantly. Wasn't made for me. It's the prototype!
18v electrics, East E-pro EQ, Seymour Duncan Pick-up, active/passive switching, Series/Parallel switching. All I'd change is the fretboard- for Ebony or Maple, although the Rosewood is a good example of what it should sound like.

As for Mike, I can't speak highly enough of him. One of the nicest guys I've met. Nothing is too much trouble, and he'll talk bass for hours if you let him.
He knows his stuff! Seek him out in his Witham Workshop.[/quote]

i never bought a zoot but was in touch with mike just when iceni were starting up
he did two scratchplates for my manson to a template i sent him and they fitted perfectly
and some bart stuff..
great guy and willing to help in any way
cheers

I pick mine up on Wednesday! :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='360198' date='Dec 21 2008, 01:12 PM']As for Mike, I can't speak highly enough of him. One of the nicest guys I've met. Nothing is too much trouble, and he'll talk bass for hours if you let him.
He knows his stuff! Seek him out in his Witham Workshop.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Spoombung' post='360221' date='Dec 21 2008, 02:13 PM']Shame about their website. They've got one of those permanent [i]'Site under construction'[/i] things going on and a link to their old site with inadequate info and tiny pictures.

I'd love to have a go on one, though. Anyone know how much they cost?[/quote]

IIRC they start at under a grand i think. The chaser bass is £900 and is part uk made and constructed, some of the work is done overseas to keep costs down. Mine cost around £1600 when new i think as it's a custom deluxe, the deluxes start at £1700 now. The old site is still running but doesn't get updated:

[url="http://www.zootbass.co.uk/1.html"]http://www.zootbass.co.uk/1.html[/url]

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='360203' date='Dec 21 2008, 01:23 PM']Just buy it! Mine's on the left <<<<<<

Awesome bass, beats any other bass i've played. Used it last night and it's superb in any live situation. I paid £710 including a Warwick flightcase so excellent value too. What model is the one you're looking at?[/quote]

I was looking at a Performer.

There was one on EBay direct from Mike at £599 which seemed an absolute steal but I'm not 100% sure on the look really.

[quote name='molan' post='360511' date='Dec 21 2008, 09:48 PM']I was looking at a Performer.

There was one on EBay direct from Mike at £599 which seemed an absolute steal but I'm not 100% sure on the look really.[/quote]

I think the performer is the current equivalent of the chaser is it not? The chaser won bass of the year in one of the guitar mags a few years ago, that's what first attracted me to Zoots cos it looked so different.

Either way that's a cracking price, but mine was only £110 more and it's flightcased so you may be better off holding out for a secondhand one. Having said that they don't come up that often

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='360519' date='Dec 21 2008, 10:00 PM']I think the performer is the current equivalent of the chaser is it not? The chaser won bass of the year in one of the guitar mags a few years ago, that's what first attracted me to Zoots cos it looked so different.

Either way that's a cracking price, but mine was only £110 more and it's flightcased so you may be better off holding out for a secondhand one. Having said that they don't come up that often[/quote]

This is the Ebay one:

Edited by molan

Being an ex Essex lad, I went to the Iceni works (his shed at the time) a few times. He did a pick-up refit on a Jazz and some fret work on an Alembic for me. I tried 3 of his basses and had I not been up to my eyeballs in basses already, probably would have bought one. they were fantastic value for money, had a great feel and were really nicely finished.