Why become a member? ×

5-string for a newbie ...

Feelgood

I'm new to this so forgive me if I'm repeating something that's been discussed previously.

I've been playing for a few months and I'm in the market for my first bass (I'm currently playing a loaner) and have a question. I've read burpsters 'buying your first bass' thread and it makes perfect sense to me to start on a 4-string; it's what I'd planned to do. It's the simplest option and I'm all for that!

However (you knew that was coming didn't you!), a musician friend mentioned to me recently that if he was starting to play bass today he'd start on a 5-string instead of a starting on 4 and then having to get used to the extra string (which is what he did). The only reason he didn't start on a 5 was that they weren't available at the time. He seemed to think that there was no obvious downside to playing a 5 (other than an extra string to mute). In fact the ability to play notes a few frets higher might even make things easier.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions. (If you haven't already discussed this until your blue in the face of course. In which case, I'll get my coat!) :)

To me there are no rules, go with your gut feeling. [i]However[/i], personally I would always suggest a beginner to start on a 4 stringer. Get the bassics right on that and play as much as you can. If in a few months the urge for a low B string is still there, well, go for it then.

Only my opinion, and you'll get quite a few here, but whatever you go for, enjoy, that's all that matters.

When I started playing bass, I didn't find it hard to adapt my fretting hand to the extra string but really I struggled with my plucking hand technique and muting open strings and TBH, it sounded a mess.

I don't think it's a bad idea to start on a 5 but I do think it'll take a bit longer to master. Lessons did the job for me.

Ibanez SR505! Light body, narrow string spacing, a fast neck, decent electronics, nice woods and a very reasonable price.

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-sr-505/11055"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-sr-505/11055[/url]

(We've had a few questions similar to this one recently and I keep recommending the SR505. I don't work for Ibanez. Honest. :))

By the way, if you are going to get into 5 strings try adopting the [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU"]Floating Thumb technique[/url]. It will make things much easier.

Edited by rjb

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for a starting with a 4.

I tried the old Fender Bass V with the high C when it was current (shows how old I am :huh: ) and I hated it, and I still hate modern 5s with a low B. Just feels wrong for me - no particular problems plucking or muting, just alien and uncomfortable.

I actually find the limitations of 4 strings a stimulus when I'm improvising, or working out patterns for individual songs. It's not a problem with the number of strings per se either - I'm a decent enough guitarist! - so I hate to think what I might have done had I started with a 5. Given up bass as a bad job? Traded it for a 4? Hung myself with the 5th string? Doesn't bear thinking about :)

lots of the tuition books are written for a 4, and almost all tab you'll find or download is written for a 4. I'd say its a bit of a mental effort to adjust all the time for a beginner. You should make things as easy for yourself as possible. I like 5 strings, and my first decent bass was a 5 and I found it a pain to get used to the wider board and ignroe that string. I'll probably want one again one day, and I'll probably use the extra string, but its too much distraction from where I stand at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Your fingers/hands will find a way!!!..i find muting the B no problem, because my thumb is on the low B until i play the B..some runs are to much of a slide on a 4.

I play a TRB6II and the 5 seems small now..playing a sixer is great for getting your technique together...so much sympathetic ringing to keep in check...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Rayman' post='358037' date='Dec 18 2008, 06:17 PM']To me there are no rules, go with your gut feeling. [i]However[/i], personally I would always suggest a beginner to start on a 4 stringer. Get the bassics right on that ...[/quote]

Oh yes, there are no rules, as there's no rule 'for a beginner to start with 4stringer'.

There are decent pdf or video schools, like "[i]Steve Bailey's 5 String Bass[/i]", and it also can be taken 'as orientated' to beginners.

The reason, why I'm suggesting fiver, is that the approach to 4stringer and 5stringer is [i]waaaay[/i] different, so, if'd start on 4, and, after some take, take 5er, you'll have to start it all over, if you want to take benefits, that 5stringer gives.

[quote name='Feelgood' post='358022' date='Dec 18 2008, 03:56 PM']....a musician friend mentioned to me recently that if he was starting to play bass today he'd start on a 5-string instead of a starting on 4 and then having to get used to the extra string (which is what he did). The only reason he didn't start on a 5 was that they weren't available at the time. He seemed to think that there was no obvious downside to playing a 5 (other than an extra string to mute). In fact the ability to play notes a few frets higher might even make things easier....[/quote]
There is no difference between starting on a 4 or a 5 string bass. A 4 is great but a 5 is more flexible, so in my opinion that makes it better. Will you play the B string? Of course you will if it's there.
You shouldn't have any preconceptions, try them both and just use what ever is more comfortable for you to play. You can always change later.