Why become a member? ×

Fender jazz bass

Dread Bass

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-for-restoration-LEFT-HANDED_W0QQitemZ260333291888QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item260333291888&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-for...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

Thats not a jazz and i dont think tats a 70s fender either. Though i could be wrong.

[quote name='bremen' post='356704' date='Dec 17 2008, 10:14 AM']Oh dear. Here we go again.

Who's going to tell him?

Did Fender ever make necks with the truss rod adjuster at the headstock end?[/quote]

Oh yes - the bullet truss rod adjuster, as seen in that auction. The decals are right for a lefty Fender, but the nut doesn't look right - it looks too big and there should be a bit of rosewood visible above the nut. It's possible that someone has done as bad a job on replacing the nut as they have done defretting the thing.

The body looks too clean for a bass of that age, especially given the condition of the neck (we have to take his word on the flaking, as he hasn't included a picture). The control knobs are wrong and the top strap button appears to be in the wrong place.

It could be a genuine but butchered hybrid, but I'm inclined to think that at least the body isn't Fender.

[quote name='bremen' post='356704' date='Dec 17 2008, 10:14 AM']Did Fender ever make necks with the truss rod adjuster at the headstock end?[/quote]

Yes.

FWIW, at a glance, I think it's legit. It seems to have something done to it during the defret which has chipped the rosewood off past the nut, but without seeing it.. who knows?

Right. If you'll forgive me for a moment:

[RANT /ON]

This is where I get a teeny bit riled. A couple of people here have probably contacted the seller to suggest he's a scammer / idiot / both.

You *must* be sure of the facts before you do something like that.

[RANT /OFF]

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='356742' date='Dec 17 2008, 11:47 AM']Yes.

FWIW, at a glance, I think it's legit. It seems to have something done to it during the defret which has chipped the rosewood off past the nut, but without seeing it.. who knows?

Right. If you'll forgive me for a moment:

[RANT /ON]

This is where I get a teeny bit riled. A couple of people here have probably contacted the seller to suggest he's a scammer / idiot / both.

You *must* be sure of the facts before you do something like that.

[RANT /OFF][/quote]

I'm with you, I think it's legit.

It's a classic example of a Jazz neck being paired with a Precision body. There's obviously been a bit of work done on the neck, and maybe a few parts are changed on the body, but the finish itself looks fine, very typical for the period. If the logo is what's causing concern, then you guys need to look into how Fender applied logos to left handed instruments (not you WoT). As for the way the seller has identified the bass, sure, he's got it wrong, but I've seen countless examples of this on Ebay, where a neck gets matched to a different body (usually a Jazz to a Precision, or vice versa) and the seller, who doesn't know a huge amount about Fender instruments, just assumes that he's got a Jazz or a Precision.

I tend to think what WoT has said here is correct. It's good that people are trying to watch out for scammers, but you need to know your facts before you start going after people. I saw something like this escalate out of control on another forum (a now defunct American one), and I'd hate to see that happen here.

Edited by bassaussie

Here's some examples of left handed basses from the same era. These are all taken from www.gbase.com , which is a central database of vintage dealers.

[url="http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1589898"]1978 Precision - 1[/url]

[url="http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1589893"]1977 Precision fretless[/url]

[url="http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1589896"]1978 Precision - 2[/url]

Contrast the logos with some earlier attempts

[url="http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1852331"]1971 Precision[/url]

[url="http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1610520"]1968 Telecaster[/url]

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='356800' date='Dec 17 2008, 12:35 PM']I think many folk find that a left handed Fender automatically looks 'wrong' to us.[/quote]

Oh ....... if that's the case, then yes, I totally agree!!!! :huh::)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='356800' date='Dec 17 2008, 12:35 PM']From the pics it's the block markers that concern me - they look plain wrong.[/quote]

[quote name='budget bassist' post='356808' date='Dec 17 2008, 12:44 PM']looks fake to me, those block inlays look way too wide[/quote]

I don't know - I've got a '76 Jazz bass sitting right in front of me, and the blocks on it look like the ones in the auction. I've also got a '66 Jazz with blocks, and I can't see a huge amount of variation with it either. I think you need to take into account the awful defretting job that's been done on the neck in the auction, it's really torn the fretboard up. I guess if I did have a question, it would be about the block marker at the 3rd fret, but that may just be the photo which is distorting the view.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='356833' date='Dec 17 2008, 12:08 PM']Oh ....... if that's the case, then yes, I totally agree!!!! :huh::)

I didn't mean there's anything wrong with left handed players or left handed instruments. To a right handed player who has a few Fenders it looks so damn odd. It shouts 'ringer' subliminally. Sure I'm not alone there.

I don't know - I've got a '76 Jazz bass sitting right in front of me, and the blocks on it look like the ones in the auction. I've also got a '66 Jazz with blocks, and I can't see a huge amount of variation with it either. I think you need to take into account the awful defretting job that's been done on the neck in the auction, it's really torn the fretboard up. I guess if I did have a question, it would be about the block marker at the 3rd fret, but that may just be the photo which is distorting the view.[/quote]

Always an issue in all but the best of photo's - good to have your 'first hand' view of the instruments you have with you. Part of the usefullness of this forum , I think. Few weeks back folk were saying a Fender headstock was way too 'orange' but I looked across at my 73 which is a sight more so.

FWIW I think the neck is probably genuine albeit butchered - the binding seems to have gone AWOL, probably at the same time as the defret. I don't remember any copies with a bullet truss rod, though Jon would be the person to talk to about that.

The body though could be anything. It doesn't seem to have holes for a bridge cover (which on the face of it rules out the 70's Fenders), but it could easily be a later Fender body. There's just no way of knowing on the basis of those photos.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='356852' date='Dec 17 2008, 01:24 PM']I didn't mean there's anything wrong with left handed players or left handed instruments. To a right handed player who has a few Fenders it looks so damn odd. It shouts 'ringer' subliminally. Sure I'm not alone there.[/quote]

No, I realise that - I was just having a laugh!! :)

I'll be the first to admit that I hate watching left handed players, as it just looks so awkward. Always makes me think back to what it must've been like when Hendrix turned up. All the guitar greats probably heard him on record, and thought "my God, how does he do that", but probably thought they could go to a gig and cop a few licks, only to discover they'd need a full length mirror as well to try and decipher his playing!!!

[quote name='Musky' post='356856' date='Dec 17 2008, 12:29 PM']FWIW I think the neck is probably genuine albeit butchered - the binding seems to have gone AWOL, probably at the same time as the defret. I don't remember any copies with a bullet truss rod, though Jon would be the person to talk to about that.

The body though could be anything. It doesn't seem to have holes for a bridge cover (which on the face of it rules out the 70's Fenders), but it could easily be a later Fender body. There's just no way of knowing on the basis of those photos.[/quote]
Really hard to get much of a handle on this because it's such a mash-up, there's a mix of old & new (ish) parts which kind of makes me wonder if it hasn't been cobbled together just for Ebay...

I don't think the neck's JapCrap - I don't remember seeing bullet adjusters on any basses from that era. They were used on some 80s Koreans, but by then the blocks were gone.

Scratching my head over the neck, though, & the bullet in particular. I'm no Fender expert but I had a quick flick through my copy of [i]The Fender Bass[/i] (every home should have one :)) and couldn't find a single picture of a rosewood board bass with one, although they're fairly common on 70s & reissue maple necks. Maybe something to do with these being one-piece & r/wood boards being separate? Can anyone with The Knowledge confirm that these appeared on rosewood board basses?

A few people have said the inlays look wrong - they do but I think this is because of the defret - it simply looks odd without the visible divisions & binding.

The body's probably not JapCrap unless it's from a replica-standard bass - Tokai, Fernandes, Greco etc. Most burst finish Jap bodies have overspraying on the contours to disguise the fact they're either ply or butcher-block/sandwich with decorative front & back veneers.

Jon.

FWIW: From the pics...

Neck/headstock/truss end looks correct to me, compaired to my lefty '78 j maple with block inlays neck.

As for the nut - it's a possibilty that at some point it's been changed for a right handed nut (some lefties like to play top to bottom GDAE). Then there's the de-fret...

Body has close paint to job to my s/b lefty '76 p...!! Hmm...

[quote name='bassaussie' post='356833' date='Dec 17 2008, 12:08 PM']I don't know - I've got a '76 Jazz bass sitting right in front of me, and the blocks on it look like the ones in the auction. I've also got a '66 Jazz with blocks, and I can't see a huge amount of variation with it either. I think you need to take into account the awful defretting job that's been done on the neck in the auction, it's really torn the fretboard up. I guess if I did have a question, it would be about the block marker at the 3rd fret, but that may just be the photo which is distorting the view.[/quote]

Maybe it's the lack of frets/binding throwing me off, i'm by no means an expert!