Jump to content
radiophonic

Mastering recommendations

Recommended Posts

We have releasable recordings in the pipeline and I was wondering what folk have done about mastering and are there any mastering studios anyone would like to recommend (or otherwise). Initially we'd be looking at one or two tracks for digital release as 16/44 downloads via Bandcamp, plus the major streaming platforms handled via DistroKid. It looks like some of the bigger studios offer online services for example (Abbey Road, Metropolis). I'm not sure who my band used last time, but I do know it was done cheaply and there were issues arising from their inexperience at the time, that we'd all like to avoid. Anyone got any experience with this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Thorne at Rimshot Productions near Sittingbourne. He co-produced and engineered our CD and did a brilliant job, highly recommended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

kTim Turan at Turan Audio often gets a shout. I used him for our digital single release and everyone seemed to think it sounded good. He's in Oxford. £50 a track, you can sit in on the session if you like too!

Edited by MoonBassAlpha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a few shouts for Turan and the price looks good. The plan is to see what a pro can achieve vs. what we can do ourselves on a single track - we're pretty DIY and and have two engineers in the band but obviously our resources are more limited than a pro setup. If the results are good, then the next album will be up for grabs. All we have to do now is agree on a mix... or rather argue about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had stuff done by Metropolis and it's great. I know Real World Studios also have a remote mastering service too.
Really, I imagine it largely comes down to your budget.

Si

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sibob said:

I've had stuff done by Metropolis and it's great. I know Real World Studios also have a remote mastering service too.
Really, I imagine it largely comes down to your budget.

Si

WRT £££ it's a balancing act. It's pretty dense music - I think we got up to 40 audio tracks, plus MIDI - so there's a lot of detail to wring out and once we've finally agreed a mix we do want it to to really shine. It is only one track at this point though. If it proves to be a major upgrade on what we can achieve ourselves (our guitar player mastered the last album) the we just need to cost it into the album budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, radiophonic said:

WRT £££ it's a balancing act. It's pretty dense music - I think we got up to 40 audio tracks, plus MIDI - so there's a lot of detail to wring out and once we've finally agreed a mix we do want it to to really shine. It is only one track at this point though. If it proves to be a major upgrade on what we can achieve ourselves (our guitar player mastered the last album) the we just need to cost it into the album budget.

Mastering is as much as about making a set of tracks sound like a coherent whole as it is about making an individual track sound good. Decisions made when mastering a single track may not be the same as those made when mastering the same track in combination with others. Bear that in mind as you may need to get you single track remastered when it becomes part of an album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Mastering is as much as about making a set of tracks sound like a coherent whole as it is about making an individual track sound good. Decisions made when mastering a single track may not be the same as those made when mastering the same track in combination with others. Bear that in mind as you may need to get you single track remastered when it becomes part of an album.

Yes, but fortunately, most places seem to offer a per track rate and an album rate so we should be able to soak up the cost if we decide to include the song on the album. There's a lot of material in play so it will depend what kind of theme emerges from what we have. Given the band's propensity for endless tweaking, it wouldn't surprise me if there is an album mix and and single mix anyway. Or even a completely different vocal performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MoonBassAlpha is right to recommend Tim Turan at Turan Audio in Oxford – he's just mastered my LP and it sounds great – I spent the day at the studio which wasn't really necessary as he know's what's what and will respond positively to any feedback or requests

I think bandcamp do the conversion from WAV to MP3, FLAC etc – although I may be wrong – will find out shortly as this is where my stuff will be going

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...