Why become a member? ×

Quit the Band

PatrickJ

With mixed emotions I ended up quitting the band I've been in for the last 3 years. 

It was only ever a casual thing, gigging a few times a year at local chairty fund raisers or private bookings for friends & family but it was the first band I was ever in, a great experience that I learnt a lot from.

Family circumstances and some increasing needs my son has forced the decision though it hadn't been the same since the lead guitarist, who was a fabulous musician, left last year.

I hope it won't be forever and that in the  future I'll be able to find something else but for now family comes first - I'm also kind of looking forward to just playing stuff just for me, rather than investing hours into learning set lists of other peoples choosing.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

...a great experience that I learnt a lot from it.

Brilliant ! Always sad when you have to move on, but if you can that overall it's been a positive experience then that's great.

And good for you for putting the family first, I hope things move and align for you so that you'll be able to rock and/or roll soon.

👍

• Thanks 1

It’s never fun to do but you know in yourself that it’s the right thing for you. I’ve just handed in my notice to a band I joined just a few weeks ago. I liked the music but the 3 hour round trip to rehearsal is something I just can’t live with anymore. I wish I had known this a few weeks ago and I thought it wouldn’t be a big thing going into it, but it took a few trips for me to realise that’s not the case. Younger me didn’t mind long drives like that. Older me doesn’t want to spend so much time on the road. You live and learn.

Good luck with the next one.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

With mixed emotions I ended up quitting the band I've been in for the last 3 years. 

It was only ever a casual thing, gigging a few times a year at local chairty fund raisers or private bookings for friends & family but it was the first band I was ever in, a great experience that I learnt a lot from.

Family circumstances and some increasing needs my son has forced the decision though it hadn't been the same since the lead guitarist, who was a fabulous musician, left last year.

I hope it won't be forever and that in the  future I'll be able to find something else but for now family comes first - I'm also kind of looking forward to just playing stuff just for me, rather than investing hours into learning set lists of other peoples choosing.

Tough decision, but family must be your priority.

Your very last sentence causes a bit of concern, every band I have ever been in  works on any new song introduced to the set has to be agreeable to every member of the band, if one member is not happy with doing it, it doesn’t get learnt.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, steantval said:

Your very last sentence causes a bit of concern, every band I have ever been in  works on any new song introduced to the set has to be agreeable to every member of the band, if one member is not happy with doing it, it doesn’t get learnt.

I was never unhappy with the songs, except for maybe one or two that the singer really wanted to do.  I did find that I was becoming less and less enthused though and, as my playing ability improved, I was wanting to go in a different direction to everyone else.  It wasn't my main motivation for leaving but there is a sense of relief over it.

• Like 1

Good for you. Seems like you did it in the right way, too.

I was told last week of a grown man not turning up to rehearsal and instead sending a Whatsapp message telling the band he’d quit then leaving the chat. Weird behaviour.

Last band I left we had a bit of a row and the prima-donna guitarist told me to f*ck off and join a jazz band - which I did!

• Like 1