Why become a member? ×

OLP MM3 5 string - £130 plus postage

neepheid

Hi there

PRICE DROP - was £140 now £130

For sale I have an OLP MM3 5 string bass. It is natural finish, black pickguard and maple fingerboard. It is in good cosmetic condition - no dings. It has had some modifications - an improved Hipshot string retainer at the headstock and a battery box fitted. I was going to add active electronics to this bass but I never got round to finishing the job. The ground work is there in case anyone fancies doing the job.

I'm sure you know the scoop on these - licensed copy of the Musicman Stingray 5, 34" scale, 1 humbucking pickup, currently wired Volume/Volume/Tone as per standard for these basses (the two volumes control each coil of the pickup).

Enough yap, have some photos:

pre-modifications

Hipshot string retainer

battery box

Based upon recent eBay sales, these are going for £130-£150 + postage so let's say £130 plus postage.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='Russty_dub' post='358730' date='Dec 19 2008, 12:33 PM']whats the differences between these and a genuine MM bass??[/quote]

Less than you'd imagine. Swap out the pup and fit an active EQ and they do a damned close MM impersonation.
This was mine (below). Seymour Duncan PickUp and 3 band active EQ. Took a bit of work but it sounded great. The battery cavity has already been routed out on the bass up for grabs here so it wouldn't be too difficult to upgrade if you wanted to

[quote name='bassman2790' post='358797' date='Dec 19 2008, 01:34 PM']Less than you'd imagine. Swap out the pup and fit an active EQ and they do a damned close MM impersonation.
This was mine (below). Seymour Duncan PickUp and 3 band active EQ. Took a bit of work but it sounded great. The battery cavity has already been routed out on the bass up for grabs here so it wouldn't be too difficult to upgrade if you wanted to[/quote]
Careful now Bassman. :)
It's an OLP and sounds and plays like an OLP, which is no bad thing right? I have a MM SUB and these two sound is like chalk and cheese. I dare say if you managed to pick up an original MM 5er pup (buy a lottery ticket and ask the Mrs to do that special thing the same day coz your luck's in bro) you'd get close to the MM sound but at the end of the day the woods and hardware are different. It is closer to the truth to say that this bass is a damn good stepping stone to getting the feel for a MM. I have played this bass and it's worth every penny of what Matt is asking maybe even a few sheckles more but it is no MM. :huh:

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='358999' date='Dec 19 2008, 05:39 PM']Careful now Bassman. :)
I dare say if you managed to pick up an original MM 5er pup (buy a lottery ticket and ask the Mrs to do that special thing the same day coz your luck's in bro) you'd get close to the MM sound but at the end of the day the woods and hardware are different.[/quote]

You would also need a bridge - the string spacing on the OLP 5 is 17mm, I think its 19 on the MM . Your options for pickup chop are limited to the Nordstrand which is no bad thing cos its a decent bit of kit.

Exactly the same bass as mine, same colour, same pickup , 3 band active EQ and .......
same hercules stand :)

[quote name='bassman2790' post='358797' date='Dec 19 2008, 01:34 PM']Less than you'd imagine. Swap out the pup and fit an active EQ and they do a damned close MM impersonation.
This was mine (below). Seymour Duncan PickUp and 3 band active EQ. Took a bit of work but it sounded great. The battery cavity has already been routed out on the bass up for grabs here so it wouldn't be too difficult to upgrade if you wanted to[/quote]

Edited by observer