Why become a member? ×

OLP MM3 5 string - £130 plus postage

neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' post='351592' date='Dec 11 2008, 12:04 PM']I was going to add active electronics to this bass but I never got round to finishing the job.[/quote]

Hey. Is this the one you were going to stick an Artec SE-2A in? You still got the Artec?

[quote name='V4lve' post='563833' date='Aug 8 2009, 10:18 PM']Hey. Is this the one you were going to stick an Artec SE-2A in? You still got the Artec?[/quote]

I have two of those SE-2As but I suspect they're both defective - nasty pops and thumps and rustles from it when you moved the concentric knob. So will probably end up in the parts bin until I confirm that they're dud.

[quote name='V4lve' post='564531' date='Aug 9 2009, 10:20 PM']OK. Am thinking of doing something similar to my MM3. Would you suggest I avoid these?[/quote]

In my experience, yes I would avoid the SE-2A. It's a shame, I have an SE-2 (4 single pots) in another bass and it's been fine. There are other options. You could get an SE-2 and not use the blend pot, giving you master volume, treble and bass. Alternatively, you could use a "higher quality" concentric control like an EMG-BTC Control (not the System - it's for EMG pickups only) in conjunction with a master volume and maybe something useful like a series/parallel/single switch.