Why become a member? ×

Tonight’s gig is cancelled....because...

Thunderpaws

2 hours ago, BobVbass said:

@PunkPonyPrincess I'm afraid you don't get chocolates because you story doesn't fulfill the criteria sorry.  It is fabulous though and congratulations on your transition hope everything carries on brilliantly - most of all Thanks for sharing it xx

I’ll get my own damn chocolate!

you can have some, though, and cheers on your journey too.

ps transition vamp is brilliant... I can never think up good band names 

Edited by PunkPonyPrincess
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Now I'm very Liberal but honestly the idea of you three in one band is a step too far, not because of the trans thing, I just don't fancy a band with three bass players! 

Lead bass, rhythm bass, and um, bass bass. Can't see the problem... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

snowflake

NOUN

1. A flake of snow, especially a feathery ice crystal, typically displaying delicate sixfold symmetry.

2. derogatory, informal An overly sensitive or easily offended person, or one who believes they are entitled to special treatment on account of their supposedly unique characteristics.

3. A white-flowered Eurasian plant related to and resembling the snowdrop, typically blooming in the summer or autumn.

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I can guarantee that that is not the definition. In fact it is almost the opposite definition. A snowflake is literally 'someone who gets annoyed about different things than me'

Thank you so much for pointing this out. Its a term of abuse used by people so insecure in their argument that they have to resort to insulting those who dare to point out their insensitivity and selfishness. 

Reacting to rudeness as rudeness does not equate to expecting special treatment. 

From the OED blog https://public.oed.com/blog/january-2018-update-new-words-notes/ :

"The use of snowflake as a derogatory term has become prominent on social media in recent years, but it has its roots in more positive connotations. The OED’s entry traces snowflake back to 1983 in a more affirmative sense, referring to a person, especially a child, regarded as having a unique personality and potential. The metaphor was based on the notion of every snowflake being one of a kind in appearance. By the late 1990s, that idea of the special snowflake was established enough to be sarcastically invoked in Chuck Palahniuk’s novel Fight Club: ‘You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.’ Over time, the term’s meaning shifted, and snowflake came be used as an insulting term for a person characterized as overly sensitive or easily offended, or as feeling entitled to special treatment or consideration. In this way, the original idea of a snowflake’s uniqueness has been displaced by allusion to its fragility."

Although Mr. wood is correct in that some use the word to mean effectively 'someone who disagrees with me/is annoyed by things that I'm not'. Which by their own argument makes them snowflakes too. But then again, logic is often not exactly their strong point.

Edited by Rich

On 02/03/2019 at 08:13, Newfoundfreedom said:

why do they then feel they have a right to speak for their whole "community" when claiming offence?

It's called identity politics. Means your value and eventual outcome are not dependent on your merit anymore. Also you cannot debate ideas "per se" anymore without your "privileged" nature coming up (one way or another they get you, we all are privileged in comparison to some other being) totally ruining the search for anything remotely close to a truth of any kind. People doing good are automatically labelled perpetrators and people not doing so good are labelled victims, just like that. Hierarchies are only reduced to how high or low your "opressed collective" of choice ranks in victimization. Sad. I know the way I think is not a trend these (collectivist) days. The supression of individuals (and their responsibility) is my idea of totally dehumanizing decadence. Only thing that's "progressing" is the complexity of the labelling, in very authoritarian ways, typical of those not trying not extract a single lesson from objective reality, but forcing (narrowing) reality to fit into their (pretty resentful and binary) script.

Edited by andruca