Why become a member? ×

BASS SYNTH

The GroovyPlucker

1 minute ago, krispn said:

@Al Krow No need to quote me if you want to politely tell someone to keep their nose out of your business but to be fair you did convince the guy to start a Future Impact thread where he’s put in what appears to be a lot of effort and time to give an overview and insight into the pedal and promote patch sharing. 

I'll do what I like when I like :P

• Haha 1

... now where were we after that little interlude?! 

Well my Sytlophone is arriving later today. 

Looking forward to having a lot of fun with it and hopefully also spending some decent time on a bass learning some new material. And NOT putting in any time on a PC editor pissing about on FI patches today (or likely until the new PC editing software is released, whenever that may be).

It's great being a grown up and being able to do what you like when you like.

😂

Edited by Al Krow

4 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

That’s being a child - being a grown up is precisely the opposite!

Ah yes, you still have kids to look after. Which would explain your world view on this point. Fair dos.

But there will come a time when they have left home and you have the freedom to do what you like when you like.

No need for the hostility I’m just asking some questions and offering some tips on the Stomp patch you posted, and suggested could be improved on, I couldn’t see the other parameters so offered my views. 

Same with the synths and and some of these newer multi fx. I’ve found the pc editors to be really useful on the HX Stomp and on synths, albeit the ones I use are software to begin with. Even if one doesn’t fully understand what’s happening it’s pretty good for connecting a sound to a parameter or synth term. Often times the editors UI can be more intuitive that the pedals themselves due to sub menus and the limitations of size and only having few buttons often having different functions at that. Most of my playing at home is via a daw and plug ins so maybe I just feel more comfortable navigating parameters this was. A laptop screen with everything available just works better for me than a tiny screen with multiple sub menus. It’s not always that obvious when there’s additional pages etc. to access. Of course you’ll do as you like but it surprised me that with all these threads asking for patches, tips and tricks you’d take the hump when advice is offered. If Im on your case it’s simply  because I know these pedals hold a huge potential for creative ventures and you’re always so vocal in your passion for the instrument and creative fun with your gear at home. I’m just surprised you’ve not got round to it yet      is all. 

57 minutes ago, krispn said:

No need for the hostility I’m just asking some questions and offering some tips on the Stomp patch you posted, and suggested could be improved on, I couldn’t see the other parameters so offered my views. 

Same with the synths and and some of these newer multi fx. I’ve found the pc editors to be really useful on the HX Stomp and on synths, albeit the ones I use are software to begin with. Even if one doesn’t fully understand what’s happening it’s pretty good for connecting a sound to a parameter or synth term. Often times the editors UI can be more intuitive that the pedals themselves due to sub menus and the limitations of size and only having few buttons often having different functions at that. Most of my playing at home is via a daw and plug ins so maybe I just feel more comfortable navigating parameters this was. A laptop screen with everything available just works better for me than a tiny screen with multiple sub menus. It’s not always that obvious when there’s additional pages etc. to access. Of course you’ll do as you like but it surprised me that with all these threads asking for patches, tips and tricks you’d take the hump when advice is offered. If Im on your case it’s simply  because I know these pedals hold a huge potential for creative ventures and you’re always so vocal in your passion for the instrument and creative fun with your gear at home. I’m just surprised you’ve not got round to it yet      is all. 

Gav - that's all very sweet mate. But you don't need to be on my case. At all. Ever. 

As dear hen-pecked-but-otherwise-God's-gift-to-women Cuzzie once said "I'll get around to it in my own sweet time". 

As a musician I have 3 bands (and various other ventures) vying for my attention. Spending time on bass and learning new material is a massively higher priority for me than getting to grips with bits of bass gear via PC or onboard editors (FI, Stomp, Manta etc) which, for me, are creative home 'fun' use only currently. My priorities are my priorities.

Tbf - I've been nagging Q-thingy to get a pedalboard and a decent amp and cab to play his lush collection of pedals and amazing synths through for an aeon. He's nearly got around to it. But his priorities are his priorities. It's all good.

Edited by Al Krow

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks Q-thingy, but you don't need to worry about me on this one. Remember I'm the person who defended the FI for many months while you were slagging it off having spent 20 mins with it in a shop one afternoon? But it is truly wonderful to see how the zeal of a convert has grabbed you... 

There are a few factual inaccuracies in that.

My findings were not based on 20 minutes’ time in a shop. (What shop even stocks these?) I rented one for two weeks from @tonyxtiger when his rental business was still going, though I also rented the Rendez Vous at the same time which got more playing time devoted to it.

I certainly didn’t slag it off. I found that there were tracking and feel issues on patches which prevented me from enjoying it (especially when having it side by side with the RV). Though some stock patches did sound great, overall it didn’t speak to me at that time.

I never used the editor when I rented it and this is where all the good stuff is. Since I rented the FI, I got into synthesis properly and bought a synth and spent over a year learning to program. This now means I can understand the potential and power of the FI. 

My main reason for exhorting you to get the editor up is my firm belief that that is where all the magic is. If you don’t use it, you’re really missing out on what this can do and the inspirational sounds it can produce.

Also, when I rented the FI, my P Bass was at the luthier. I’ve since found that it works best with that bass. I’ve found that certain programming choices have an effect on tracking response and have learned a bit more about how to work around that.

I hope your last comment was intended tongue-in-cheek otherwise I feel you may need to buy some window polish for your glass house. 🙂 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Thanks 1

Nah, Peter, I'm definitely sticking by my previous recommendation(s) to get a pedal board to put your loose pedals on and an amp and cab rather than headphones to listen to them (and your synth keys and basses) through. Just the way I would do it. But your choices are yours alone and it really doesn't impact me one way or the other.

So...any recommendations for window polish? The glass on my house certainly could do with a clean! 😂🤣

PS the factual position on your previous thoughts on the FI are all correct and fair (for the official record :) ) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Nah, Peter, I'm definitely sticking by my previous recommendation(s) to get a pedal board to put your loose pedals on and an amp and cab rather than headphones to listen to them through. Just the way I would do it. But your choices are yours and it really doesn't impact me one way or the other.

So...any recommendations for window polish? The glass on my house certainly could do with a clean! 😂🤣

Yes. I really should. I’ve no excuse now as I’ve saved up a fair bit from recent sales. A cab is still a bit superfluous for me at present: home practice is headphones-only by necessity (very thin walls) and when I play with others, there’s an amp already there. 

My pedals are on a board of sorts for home, but yes, something I can take out would be good. Still don’t know what to go for as I’m not sure what I’ll keep/sell/acquire.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@Quatschmacher Ann Peebles is hella cool - probably my fave Motown singer above all the others - her voice just resonates with me like no other.

If you like the last one, you will love this.

And we all know where Missy Elliot got here song from...

Yep, listening to the whole album right now. 

• Like 1

On 05/04/2019 at 06:29, Merton said:

My son has the Volca Beats drum machine, it’s pretty cool. Will have to check this out!

Korg Volca Bass (aka the modern Stylophone  with about 374 times the processing power of the original) - price now dropped to £109 posted (on Amazon Prime) today.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here @Al Krow, and ask what it is you feel the Volca can do that your JDXi can’t? The JD has an analog monophonic engine paired with a digital poly synth engine which can be sequenced on board AND has a proper keyboard attached (albeit mini keys) AND a drum machine. Oh and a mic input for vocoder use.

I’m not sure what you’ll be gaining by adding the Volca Bass to your collection, other than ultra-portability?

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here @Al Krow, and ask what it is you feel the Volca can do that your JDXi can’t? The JD has an analog monophonic engine paired with a digital poly synth engine which can be sequenced on board AND has a proper keyboard attached (albeit mini keys) AND a drum machine. Oh and a mic input for vocoder use.

I’m not sure what you’ll be gaining by adding the Volca Bass to your collection, other than ultra-portability?

Hello devilCam 😈

Now let me see... I'm fortunate to have a 25 lbs Mesa M6 which knocks any D class head I've ever come across out of the park. I have a VK 210 LNT cab which is just awesome, but for some reason the kit I take to rehearsals and gigs is a DG M900 and a 21lbs BF SC. 

Did someone just mention "ultra-portability"?? Definitely not a thing for me, at all ... ever  😁