Why become a member? ×

Recording Studio

tombboy

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='393779' date='Jan 28 2009, 04:00 PM']Yes that is how much power you've got, which needs to be taken into account considering the gigantic current draw of all the studio gear![/quote]

Not at all! No piece of gear should draw more than 1.5amps on it's own.... unless you have a kettle or hairdryer in the effects chain! ;)

[quote name='tombboy' post='393984' date='Jan 28 2009, 07:46 PM']Not at all! No piece of gear should draw more than 1.5amps on it's own.... unless you have a kettle or hairdryer in the effects chain! ;)[/quote]
:P don't let your missus know how much power you've got in there then!

And you'll need a kettle :) You're obviously not thinking straight, haha

Started the floor today now that the front door is finally watertight.
The colour of the Oak (veneer.... not laminate!!) work really well against the red and black I think. Added all the mantles to the T&G, completed all the edge snagging to the ceilings.

Good news is, the drums are on their way from the US (Hart Dynamics mesh pads, bronze 'silent' cymbals and Roland TD-20 module) and should be here after the weekend.

Maybe I'll have some gear in place to show you next time. Picking the rest of the gear up from my brother's on 22nd Feb after going to see Mickey Feckin Mouse in Paris.... bloody kids!!

Stock photo of the drums being supplied:

The floor being laid:

The mixing room, which used to look like this..............

Now looks like this......

Just some slight touching up to do on the black paintwork and the skirting to put in now the floor is down.
Front and rear walls and ceiling have had the same treament as the vocal booth, ie: carpet tiles.

I won't have room to fit in front bass traps due to two columns of rack units either side of the mixer, but the walls will be jammed with absorbers.

Roland TD-20 Module has arrived... just waiting on the kit now. ;)

The name was set in stone from the beginning.............

"Jim's"

My (late) Father was a huge influence on everything musically that I have ever done. He gave everything for my life so this is the only (humble) way I can pay him back for that at the moment.
TBH, I couldn't even envisage another name now.

Edited by tombboy

[quote name='The Funk' post='399593' date='Feb 4 2009, 12:01 AM']Brilliant! You realise you have to name it sooner or later?

I vote for [i]Electric Lardy-land[/i], assuming you've developed a healthy beer belly with all that Stella![/quote]
Electric Larger-land? ;)

[quote name='andy67' post='410955' date='Feb 16 2009, 12:25 PM']the missus loves it too - but she says there are other thing it could be used for!!![/quote]
But where would I put the music gear once I have the washing machine, tumble dryer, ironing board, hoover etc installed? :P

Just a brief update.... very last stages of the build now. Hanging doors and fixings etc. Big clean up tomorrow as the drums will be here pm!! Sofa (black leather.... rarrr!!) and small furniture goes in pm too. Really getting excited now. ;)

It has it's own myspace page now too!!
Pop over [url="http://www.myspace.com/jimsrecordingstudio"]here[/url] and add me on. Obviously, it will be developed and added to as things progress. Once I have some songs recorded in there I'll put them up too.

Edited by tombboy

Apart from one door to hang and a couple of other touch ups the building work is done!
However, when the mixer and recording gear gets here I still have to build the workstation.
Anyway... completed live room and vocal booth. Note the guitars on the wall already!! (Heh heh!!!)