Why become a member? ×

Recording Studio

tombboy

Greasy Spoon, yum.
Reminds me of reharsing over in Liverpool in the late 80's and going for an all day breakie afterwards. We went to a place called The Hole in the Wall, right by the Mersy tunnel enterance, they use to do this thing called a "Scaffolders Sspecial" which was 3 pieces of toast (one cut diagonally and each half placed at the side of the plate for maximum surface area) which were then covered in cheese, this was then melted and covered in beans and a crowning glory of 2 fried eggs placed on top, with a pint mug of tea.
Echo and the Bunnymen use to eat in there too.

Great looking studio Tombboy.

Edited by steve-soar

I'm f***ing sick of drywalling!!! :) :huh:

This picture shows the viewing window from the live room to the smaller room. I have decided to switch the mixer to the smaller room (cheers Budget Bassist!) as I think I'll be able to get a much better mixdown/master from there.

Another angle showing the live room entrance.. got some dust behind the lens... sorry about that!

This is from the smaller room..

[quote name='budget bassist' post='357964' date='Dec 18 2008, 03:09 PM']Just out of interest, what made you change your mind?

Glad to see it's taking shape nicely :)[/quote]
When the drywalls were taking shape I could see the logistics of the rooms. The live room was much bigger than I first envisaged so I felt a smaller room would be more condusive for a good solid mix.
I can't wait for this to be finished. Once it's fully operational any BC'ers from round East Anglia will be more than welcome to pop in and have a look. I charge 50p for a cuppa!! :huh:

I'ne only just noticed that this thread exists, but I'm loving it! I am absolutely hooked! When do you think that the completion date will be? It seems to be progressing really quickly, I'm glad this isn't some half-arsed job, especially as I'm this interested!

Good luck with the rest of your build. And I must say, I AM VERY JEALOUS :).

Rich

I would have loved to finish this by the new year but thats a little unrealistic now. End of Jan hopefully then in with the equipment. There is SO much to think ahead about such as where to lay the cabling and looms between the live and mixing rooms. I have also decided that, by the moving the mixing to the smaller room, I now have room for a small offset vocal isolation booth near the window. It doesn't have to be soundproofed from the live room but will have to be 'dead' acoustically. That way, I can pick up the essense of the voice only and not the room with a decent cardoid mic (got a middle range Neumanns).
I have just pruchased some leads and looms from the bay, as well as a Line 6 Guitar Pod Pro. Need some SM57's for acoustic mic'ing if anyone has some spare?
Anyway, second plasterboard skin in the live room today. Chris has just arrived.... anyone free to give us a hand? :)

If you want a nice dead room, you could put a curtain rail all the way around the whole of the live room, that way you can make it as dead as you like. Or you could open the curtains and stick some ambient mics in thee. Curtains are surprisingly effective at acoustic damping. I put a curtain in my bedroom yesterday because it was so echoey as i had wooden blinds, hardly any echo now and it's only covering half of a wall.

Especially put the curtains over the windows, for obvious reasons. I think the folds help to disperse the sound pretty well too...

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='360506' date='Dec 21 2008, 09:40 PM']I'ne only just noticed that this thread exists, but I'm loving it! I am absolutely hooked!

Good luck with the rest of your build. :).

Rich[/quote]
+1

Fantastic project and it's great to be able to share it with you via this build diary.. Many thanks and best of luck with it. Happy Xmas to one and all by the way :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

After a Christmas/New Year break we cracked on again this morning. Insulated the mixing room and got one skin of the ceiling up. Purchasing the T&G surrounds tomorrow. Really beginning to take shape now. Just a couple of days away from laying the floor down and decorating.

If you want to get some acoustic control happening in that nice big live room, after bass traps a really good idea is floor to ceiling bookshelves filled with varying sized books on the biggest wall, it really soaks up alot of reverb in a vaery natural way and is often much cheaper than a full set of diffusers etc etc.

The many varying sizes of book is the important bit!

Seen this done in a fair few studios with decent sized live rooms, the before and after effect is really amazing!

Ok, electrician has been in and supplied power to the lights.
The small vocal booth took longer than anticipated due to having to gain a masters in quantum mathematics before we could work out the drywall cuts. We had to cut for the non parallel walls and cope with a vaulted ceiling. Got there in the end. Just got to fill all the drywall screws and joints, then on with the tongue & groove on the blockwork.

The vocal booth.... this will be acoustically tiled throughout to provide a 'dead' sound.

Looking down the corridor to the booth

View from mixing room to vocal booth. Note the two windows to allow visual cues as well as audio.

Main room.