Why become a member? ×

Hi from Exeter

Yukimajo

I have only just started with the bass and already I am feeling it a lot more than I have any other instrument. I have just got a Squier Affinity P Bass starter pack from GAK for a price that was too good to refuse (£199). It is a 2018 bass in 3 colour burst and I just love playing it. I am currently trying to get some good right hand technique by learning White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. The triplet in the intro is causing me a bit of grief!

I am into garage/psychedelic/classic/glam rock and my first musical hero was (and still is) Steve Priest from Sweet, but I have quite a few others (JJ Burnell, Sammi Yaffa, John Paul Jones, Jack Casady, Stu Cook to name a few). I would love t get a band together and get gigging but one step at a time. I've got to learn to play first. 

Luckily in Exeter I have the bonus of Having Manson's Guitars, and although their bass section isn't the biggest (whose is?) I had the pleasure of talking to one of their bass guys yesterday, who just happened to be John Paul Jones' guitar tech! The very man who built the JPJ signature bass.

Anyway, I know forum rules dictate that unless there's a photo, it didn't happen, so here's my new baby:

PJ Bass Body.JPG

PJ Bass.JPG

• Like 2

Good evening, Yukimajo , and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share.

White Rabbit..? Good choice, I say. To master this (and, indeed, any part that has these issues...), the secret is very simple: slow down. The fastest way to play fast is to play slowly. Get it down to a speed you can manage comfortably, and play it like that for a while (a week or so..?) Wind it up a notch or two; if you can do it, give it some time like that and repeat, but if not, wind it back down until you can do it. It won't take long with such a number to get up to speed, but slow and steady is the fastest way forward.
Good luck with it; hope this helps. B|

• Like 1