Why become a member? ×

Stingray vs Stingray HH vs G&L 2000

Sir Spence

On 15/12/2018 at 16:57, NickA said:

Good points. Ta. 

I guess the other thing is that the EQ on a particular bass should be matched to that bass's characteristics, whereas the amp EQ maybe a bit too generic ...

... my old Trace GP12SMX aside, which had treble boost, bass boost, two pre-shapes, two compressors and 12 channels of EQ ... causing many wasted hours pushing knobs and sliders around.  There is much to be said for having only the controls you need and messing with as few of them as possible!

I don't think there's any generic vs matching bass characteristics. If you look around, there's all kinds of designs both in amp EQ points and preamps designed for specific basses.  I think it's more a personal preference. Some have very high treble points and are only really useful to remove finger noise on the strings etc... others bring it down from 10KHz to 6KHz which is more useful to 'sculpt' your tone... Same with bass controls.

My personal preference is a passive tone control (treble cut), and an active mids control with selectable centre frequency (something like the John East one, covering 100-1000 or 200-2000 Hz. 

They are both different Basses and both are great!. But if you want to save a lot of dosh and still end up with a really versatile Bass then go for the G&L L-2000 Tribute which can be used in both passive and active modes. I purchased one early this year for around £700.00 and it sounds and feels just as good as my Stingray H 2 band..

Edited by RedVee
  • Thanks 1

Gents, thanks for all the input and feedback - really helpful!

Given my preference for the classics in the guitar would, I suspect there’s a Ray in my future - just trying to temper the GAS until I find the right thing ..trying! 🙂

When did the 2018 Rays come out? Gibson seem to launch around September for the following year - do MM do something similar?

7 hours ago, Sir Spence said:

Gents, thanks for all the input and feedback - really helpful!

Given my preference for the classics in the guitar would, I suspect there’s a Ray in my future - just trying to temper the GAS until I find the right thing ..trying! 🙂

When did the 2018 Rays come out? Gibson seem to launch around September for the following year - do MM do something similar?

The Special came out in the Ststes in July, but didn’t get here til beginning of September. MM don’t mass produce, they build to order (from shops/suppliers, rather then customer custom order). 

Edited by Chiliwailer

58 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

ASAT is a great bass, I had a solid and semi hollow, electronics are good, but I didn’t get on with the pups

That's one thing to bear in mind. The MFD pickups are extremely high output and your amp will need the headroom at the input stage to take them. Unless you're more grown up than me and can manage to use the bass' volume knob and turn down a bit. Stingray's are more manageable but I'm in the inaudible G string camp, (oo-er missus) and prefer the G&L vibe overall. 

• Like 1

Exactly what I felt, and it’s due to the steel pole pieces, and the rotation of the magnet Leo did to make them higher output. They are often Treble happy basses, probably designed that way as Leo’s hearing and high end hearing went down hill to compensate.

Ultimately I had a couple of pre-amp pedals I liked to use to sculpt my sound and all of that energy was too much sonically for my tastes, but on build quality - right up there, as well as options on different neck profiles, don’t just stick to the #12 PJ type config, if you like a skinny neck the #8 is to die for and the #6 ( I think!) is an awesome fat P bass, but still quick and easy to play due to a flat radius.

3 hours ago, scalpy said:

This photo should explain what I went for in a similar situation. The ASAT features the l-2000 electronics in a tele body style. Not everyone’s cup of tea but I love it.

1F50ECE9-12F5-413E-81E2-D403E914DDA3.jpeg

I see you also dislike the neck dive on those basses, eh?

I have a similar bodied bass (not an ASAT) and I'm considering doing something similar. How deeply into the body did you drill?

shine-sba-704-telecaster-bass_360_64633a

12 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I see you also dislike the neck dive on those basses, eh?

I have a similar bodied bass (not an ASAT) and I'm considering doing something similar. How deeply into the body did you drill?

shine-sba-704-telecaster-bass_360_64633a

Sorry, I’m not quite sure what you mean. I think Cuzzie had the extender on his but mine is unmodified. I do notice the neck lean more since I got the LB100 but I hesitate to call it dive, it’s ok with a strap in the right position. She is heavy though! And on topic, not a stingray.

6 hours ago, scalpy said:

Sorry, I’m not quite sure what you mean. I think Cuzzie had the extender on his but mine is unmodified. I do notice the neck lean more since I got the LB100 but I hesitate to call it dive, it’s ok with a strap in the right position. She is heavy though! And on topic, not a stingray.

Ooops, there was a chrome leg stand behind the ASAT and I thought it was an extension screwed into where the strap button normally is. Shows how much attention I was paying :D

• Haha 2

I just got a 2008 Stingray. After 25 years of playing and 35 basses owned I guess I've found the one.

Best feeling neck I've ever played. Perfect balance sitting or standing. All the versatility I need in just one pickup and 2 band EQ. Simplicity at its best. It can roar, it can whisper and everything in between.

Something really clicked between me and this bass..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, michele said:

I just got a 2008 Stingray. After 25 years of playing and 35 basses owned I guess I've found the one.

Best feeling neck I've ever played. Perfect balance sitting or standing. All the versatility I need in just one pickup and 2 band EQ. Simplicity at its best. It can roar, it can whisper and everything in between.

Something really clicked between me and this bass..

StingRay love. Cannot beat it. Nice one 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like my 2017 Ray best. A "less hot" (mellower) sound I can get with a Deluxe Precision Bass with 3-band e.q. The active mid controls can adjust for the song or picking position . To use the heel of your palm to mute some by the bridge changes any bass sound a lot. I like variety ! How about a Schecter Model T ?