Why become a member? ×

Speculative punt - MM 'Ray 4 for something similar 5

thepurpleblob

I have a two year old 3EQ StingRay in black, with black pickguard and maple neck. Conditional is mostly excellent - there's a tiny ding on the lower edge. Photographs are a bit pointless - it just looks like a black/maple StingRay :) Usual hard case.

I seem to have gone 5 string and I'm not using it much. I wonder if anybody has anything in a 5 that they might be interested in trading. I'm mostly thinking of a 5 string 'Ray or a G&L L2500 - something along those lines. Reasonably wide string spacing is a must. I am prepared to be persuaded though so try me (but definitely a 5). I'm in the Glasgow area and am prepared to travel a reasonable distance for the right deal - I went to Blackpool recently to do a trade (3 hours each way)!!! Not interested in posting unless you put my arm right up my back. I'm actually quite attached to the bass I have, so I reserve the right to be a bit fussy - don't take the hump if I say no :huh:

Looks like this.....

FORGOT TO MENTION... it has one of those XTender doo-dads on it too!!

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='Bigwan' post='343895' date='Dec 3 2008, 10:56 AM']"Reasonably wide string spacing" and "'Ray 5 or G&L L2500"? Not the basses for you if you want a wider string spacing mate. Speaking from experience.[/quote]

I've got a Tribute L2500 and it's great! I think it's more complicated that just the spacing though. A lot of lower-end 5s, seem to have *very* narrow spacing. I really just mean not 5 strings jammed into a 4 string neck.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='343918' date='Dec 3 2008, 11:31 AM']Ah. I thought the way you were talking you were wanting to join the 19mm club... I've come to realise it's the only spacing that works for me on a 5 string.[/quote]

I honestly wouldn't mind - but such beasts seem *rare*. I'm a bit iffy with the neck on Warwicks, which seems to put paid to that in the "real world"!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='343921' date='Dec 3 2008, 11:34 AM']I honestly wouldn't mind - but such beasts seem *rare*. I'm a bit iffy with the neck on Warwicks, which seems to put paid to that in the "real world"![/quote]

If you like wide and flat go Lakland.

I didn't - so that's why I'm on the L2500. Of the 2 you mention the SR5 neck is a bit more comfortable (slightly thicker on the L2500 - but apparently new 2008/9 US models are a bit flatter?) initially but, light blue touch paper and retire, the L2500 is the better bass :)

[quote name='martthebass' post='344752' date='Dec 3 2008, 08:57 PM']If you like wide and flat go Lakland.

I didn't - so that's why I'm on the L2500. Of the 2 you mention the SR5 neck is a bit more comfortable (slightly thicker on the L2500 - but apparently new 2008/9 US models are a bit flatter?) initially but, light blue touch paper and retire, the L2500 is the better bass :)[/quote]

Yes - I've been extremely impressed with the playability of my Tribute L2500. That's what ruined my life and made me think that 5s where a good idea. I'm basically not playing anything else at the moment. I've never played a Lakland but they look good in theory :-)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='344953' date='Dec 3 2008, 11:55 PM']ray 5's are brilliant, you wont look back :)[/quote]

And you still want to sell it...

[quote name='BassManKev' post='345430' date='Dec 4 2008, 02:14 PM']perhaps you didnt enjoy the full student experience :)[/quote]

I'd starve before I parted with a bass I loved

Food is easy to steal, basses are not.

My gran can make me dinners, her luthier skills are crap though

[quote name='BassManKev' post='345430' date='Dec 4 2008, 02:14 PM']perhaps you didnt enjoy the full student experience :)[/quote]

Yup...loved it. Back in the days of full grant and no course fees - Joy.

As I recall tho, the down side was 35-40 hours per week of lectures/practicals and no modules (i.e. 80%+ of your degree went on the 3rd year final exams).

Edited by martthebass

do I hear a........... BUMP :)

Just to upset the other guy selling the same thing. I also have a TRB -4ii (in blue) that I would be interested in trading for a 5. I'll probably do a separate post thread for that when I get a minute. Again, a TRB-5 or somesuch would be ideal.

Another BUMP before I give up gracefully. Nobody out there with a highish-end five who would like a 'Ray instead. Would consider just about anything decent. I'd happily look at something like a Yamaha Nathan East (now another thread has reminded me about them) or suchlike.

Will give in gracefully if no takers :)

[quote name='MB1' post='348711' date='Dec 8 2008, 03:19 PM']MB1. :huh:
Might be better just selling the ray? :)[/quote]

Yeh probably.... but I'm not desperate. If I keep it, I'll use it again I know. It's more a seeing if anything is out there exercise. I guess it isn't. At the moment I have three 4 string basses and one 5 string. I'm really only using the 5, so it seems a bit stupid. I'd like to chip something in for another 5, be it the TRB4 or Stingray.

Knowing my luck I'd sell the 'Ray for next to nothing just before the prices go up again, and end up with an eggy face :huh: