Why become a member? ×

Christmas Gig

grumpyguts

depends on the band and the audience

I've got a gig playing originals that same night, and it's with a co-headliner who have more of a reputation as, not exactly comedy, but certainly a less/not entirely serious band.  The lot I'm playing with have a far more serious image.  We're still debating whether we want to make any special festive effort, but the answer is probably no, or at least to keep it in the same vein as the band's image (which is hard to fit with tinsel and silly hats). Don't really want to try and compete on silliness with a band who will be much better at it than us.  Best idea so far is to re-arrange the letters in one of the tracks name so it's Praise The Name Of Santa.  We have another gig the night before so might give that very bad joke a run out and see how it lands...

But I was once in a punk covers lot who did a regular Christmas gig at a local pub and that always got Santa hats as an absolute minimum

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 2

I play in a general covers band and we had two gigs last year: a couple of days before Christmas and ten days before Christmas, in the same venue. We learned three or four Christmas songs and played them at the first one and they fell totally flat. Nobody gave a monkeys. So we just didn't bother at the second one and it was fine. I was quite surprised, I must admit. 

Years ago, I gigged with the Johnsons a couple of days before Christmas and we did it straight, but I donned a Santa hat for the last song (Christmastime Has Come To Town).  We were an originals band and it was great to see 100+ punks moshing about to the last song.

Interestingly, the band on after us were 'equine surf punkers' Horse Rock.  Their gimmick was that they dressed the same and wore Mexican wrestling masks.  Keep reading.  Their drummer is great; quite a chunky guy, big beard, very energetic, plays a tiny drum kit.  He was in his clothes, with a Santa suit, his mask, a Santa beard and a Santa hat.

After he finished his set he was literally steaming.

• Haha 1