Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine Top 40 Bass Lines

ezbass

Bass Guitar Magazine has just published a top 40 bass lines feature compiled by their editorial team and contributors and I thought you might like to see their results.

40. Riders On The Storm - The Doors
39. Lovecats - The Cure
38. Digital Man - Rush
37. Hair - Graham Central Station
36. Give It Away - RHCP
35. Town Called Malice - The Jam
34. Express Yourself - Cahrles Wright And The 103rd Street Rhythm Band
33. Lovely Day - Bill Withers
32. White Lines - Grandmaster Flash
31. Crossroads - Cream
30. Under Pressure - Queen & David Bowie
29. Bullet In The Head - RATM
28. Teen Town - Jaco
27. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
26. Phantom Of The Opera - Iron Maiden
25. The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
24. I Wish - Stevie Wonder
23. London Calling - The Clash
22. Thank You - Sly & The Family Stone
21. Stand By Me - Ben E King
20. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
19. Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick - Ian Dury & The Blockheads
18. Orion - Metallica
17. All Right Now - Free
16. Walk On The Wild Side - Lou Reed
15. So What - Miles Davis
14. Ace Of Spades - Motorhead
13. My Generation - The Who
12. Politician - Cream
11. Hysteria - Muse
10. Come On Come Over - Jaco
9. Roundabout - Yes
8. Come Together - The Beatles
7. Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
6. Ramble On - Led Zep
5. Money - Pink Floyd
4. Good Times - Chic
3. School Days - Stanley Clarke
2. Sex Machine - James Brown
1. Peaches - The Stranglers

Well I know that this is a British mag, but so are we and I say "What The ****"!!!!

My Generation? What about The Real Me or 5:15 where JE really lets rip.

All Right Now? Fair enough, but Mr Big has a better line throughout and a better solo, what about The Stealer?

No Steely Dan songs at all? Surely Peg rates at least top 20.

And given that there is a decidedly Brit flavour to the poll, where's Pino on '80s Paul Young, or Bruce Thomas on The Attractions? Poor show BGM, poor show :)

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='bassket_case' post='342026' date='Dec 1 2008, 04:27 PM']Ooh. Cool. I never know when it comes out... I just keep popping into WH Smiths on the off chance. What are the main features?[/quote]

Well this ludicrous top 40, interviews with Jack Bruce (again) Geddy Lee, Robbie Shakespear and some people I've not heard of before (not meant as a bad thing). An expensive (£1700 to £5000) 5 string shoot out (go recession, go). Aria SB, Hartke Vs Trace Elliot combos, Peavey BXP reviews. A list of "beginner" basses like the previous "rock" basses list (pretty pointless as no worthwhile comments are made again). Plus some other reviews of stuff. Like the last one, certainly not a stellar issue IMO, but they're not writing for me in particular I guess. I do wish they'd find some more new people to interview though, instead of the same olds time and again, it's not like there is a shortage of players out there. Still it's better than Bass Player mag any day!

[quote name='The Funk' post='342240' date='Dec 1 2008, 06:58 PM']Crap list.[/quote]

Say what you see he he!

Must admit, lists are dangerous territory for a mag to take... it's so so so subjective! I remember the backlash when Guitarist magazine ran their top 100 guitarists of all time.

Given the fact that guitarists are an opinionated lot... you can imagine the conversations...

"Why isn't Noel Gallagher number 1?"

"Why isn't Noel Gallagher further up the list?"

"Why is Noel Gallagher in the list?"

There is then the question, why are they the best? Most technically able, most influential, best tone, best songs etc...?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='342641' date='Dec 2 2008, 09:10 AM']Must admit, lists are dangerous territory for a mag to take... it's so so so subjective![/quote]

I suspect magazines intend to stir up arguments with their list-o-ramas- "Top 10/50/100 things to argue over"- everyone posts about the lists and gets debate going on the net.

Zakk Wylde's response to the Rolling Stone top 100 guitarists list was pretty funny-
[url="http://www.sleazegrinder.com/jeffzakkwylde.htm"]http://www.sleazegrinder.com/jeffzakkwylde.htm[/url]

ending with-
".....You’ve got to understand, the only thing Rolling Stone magazine is good for is when you take a good-ass sh*t and you wipe your ass with it. You’ve got a bunch of yuppie-ass, hack, wannabe musicians that never made it and they’re working for a punk-ass, sh*t, scumbag magazine. Their pulse on what the f*** is cool is f***ing pathetic. Eddie Van Halen is number 70? Everyone that works at that magazine is like your yuppie, dad, old, f***ing c***-ass m*****f***er that you’d like to smash in the f***ing face. Randy Rhoads 85? That’s f***ing pathetic, man. It just goes to show you that nobody at that f***ing magazine knows what the f*** is going on. I’d just like to go down to the building and burn it down, you know what I mean? Just for sh*ts and giggles.”

Edited by SJA

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='342210' date='Dec 1 2008, 06:40 PM']BGM,A pretty lame issue AFAIC :)[/quote]
+1

The 30 basses under £200 feature! That was just a cut and paste from catalogues, it's not even as if anyone tested and rated them. I'm sure anyone in the market for a sub-£200 bass would do far better just using google.

I subscribe and am feeling that the quality has slipped. The spelling and grammar is appalling throughout the magazine and it really irritates me, theyare producing a magazine not ranting on a forum! :huh:

The interview with Jack Bruce was below par; if I'd have had some time with him, I wouldn't have been asking him at length about all his gear and why he doesn't play short scales anymore, there's so much more that can be got from an interview with the great JB.

I probably won't renew the subscription.

[quote name='ezbass' post='342149' date='Dec 1 2008, 05:53 PM']Well this ludicrous top 40, interviews with Jack Bruce (again) Geddy Lee, Robbie Shakespear[/quote]

I wonder what Robbie thinks about the fact that there isn't a single reggae tune on the list?

Probably cares about as much as we do ;-)

Mike Brooks reviewing the 5 strings and giving the GB 48/50, 6 pages of sub £200 basses with just specs, a picture of P Nut, which always gets on my sweater meat.
Good points, JJ Burnel getting some brownie points, the Esperanza Spalding interview (witness d' fitness) and that's about it.
Same bi monthly tone that is getting too full of filler. It was getting a lot better about 4 issues ago.
Too many pages wasted.

The worst was Joel McIver headlining the interview with Geddy Lee, "Feel the Rush". :)

Hi guys (and girls),
The five string basses were scored by both Adrian and I, Stuart was unavailable to take part due to work commitments. There was no bias, of the basses we were supplied with, the GB won hands down, simple as that. No alterior motives. If those of us who write for the mag weren't allowed to review stuff we owned, I wouldn't be able to review most of the stuff that comes our way. The fact I have a bass collection is due to the work I do and what I need the basses to do, which doesn't (and shouldn't) prevent me from offering a fair, unbiased opinion on gear for review. If anything, it gives me an insight into the basses, amps and pedals.

Cheers,
Mike