4.) Warwick
5.) Wal
6.) Alembic
7.) Lakland
8.) BC Rich
9.) Ritter
10.) Ibanez

and here are musician profiles:

1.) solo player (high chops, one man music station)
2.) metal guy (up front, agressive, volume on 10)
3.) jazz guy (walking lines, smooth basslines)
4.) funk (slapping, high treble, really up front... undistorted equivalent of a metal guy)
5.) fusion (mix of jazz and slap guy)
6.) behind the scenes guy (plays with the purpose of serving the music, even when it means being 'invisible')
7.) bedroom musician (rich, busy, no band, plays and loves bass though)
8.) beginner (bases his taste on magazine ads and such, usually not ready to commit to expensive gear)
9.) fanboy (just like the beginner except he is willing to spend more!)
10.) blues (mix of behind the scenes guy and jazz guy)

-*-

so there, match it! ... you can fit more than one guy in a certain bass brand :)

-*-

why did i do this?

just to get an idea of what bass appeals to what personality type... because for the most part, i dont get to try those high end brands above...

and oh, this is the way i can think of to get over the 'apples-oranges' thing.

Whilst I dislike stereotypes, I'll have a go anyway. Not entirely straightforward, as some of the companies make models that are plainly targeted at certain players or styles of music- Behind the scenes guy is unlikely to be comfortable with the aesthetic of a Bongo, Stryker, Buzzard, Some Ritters or BC Riches, for example- Even if they're capable instruments.

1.) solo player (high chops, one man music station) [b]Could choose any of them.[/b]
2.) metal guy (up front, agressive, volume on 10) [b]Ibanez Wal EBMM Warwick Fender BC Rich[/b]
3.) jazz guy (walking lines, smooth basslines) [b]Alembic Fender Lakland[/b]
4.) funk (slapping, high treble, really up front... undistorted equivalent of a metal guy) [b]EBMM Warwick[/b]
5.) fusion (mix of jazz and slap guy) [b]Warwick Fender Wal Alembic EBMM [/b]
6.) behind the scenes guy (plays with the purpose of serving the music, even when it means being 'invisible') [b]Fender Lakland Warwick EBMM[/b]
7.) bedroom musician (rich, busy, no band, plays and loves bass though) [b]Whatever they want?[/b]
8.) beginner (bases his taste on magazine ads and such, usually not ready to commit to expensive gear) [b]Ibanez (All the others are too expensive from new!)[/b]
9.) fanboy (just like the beginner except he is willing to spend more!) [b]Only (wannabee) Guitarists do this.[/b]
10.) blues (mix of behind the scenes guy and jazz guy) [b]Fender Lakland Warwick Ibanez EBMM[/b]

Note: No one can afford a Fodera.

Where's the Pedullas, Smiths, Statii, Yamahas, Gibsons.... All more prominent than Ritters/Foderas around here!

Having done this, I am even less comfortable with the idea. Each individual could have chosen a bass from just about any manufacturer's line-up and found something that would attract him or her to it. It presumes that the sound comes from the instrument rather than the technique of the player, which is arguably more important!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

1.) solo player - [b]Fender, Fodera[/b]
2.) metal guy - [b]Ibanez, Warwick, Wal, BC Rich[/b]
3.) jazz guy - [b]Fender[/b]
4.) funk - [b]Fender, Musicman, Lakland[/b]
5.) fusion - [b]Fender, Fodera, Warwick, Lakland[/b]
6.) behind the scenes guy - [b]Fender, Lakland[/b]
7.) bedroom musician - [b]Fender, Ritter, Lakland, Fodera, Wal[/b]
8.) beginner - [b]Fender, Ibanez[/b]
9.) fanboy - [b]Fender, Warwick, Ibanez, Musicman[/b]
10.) blues - [b]Fender, Musicman, Lakland[/b]

I'm not saying I'd necessarily choose each of these basses for this style, but rather a blend of what I know people use, what I reckon people would use, faced off against what people seem not to use in each style.

Mark

oh please feel free to add of those popular basses :) i just made the list in a hurry ... and you are right with the:

Pedullas, Smiths, Statii, Yamahas, Gibsons

-*-

there's a guy here in the philippines (very down to earth, amazing bass player) who owns 3 Foderas :huh: (and they arent those Jazz bass types).

i dont know anyone who owns a Ritter