Why become a member? ×

History is written by the victors.

ianrendall

9 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Being brutally honest, if you're not much of a player it doesn't matter how much you spend on a guitar, cables or amp.

This is the crux of the matter. I suspect some people buy gear in an effort to 'sound better' when what they should be doing is concentrating on their playing. IMHO, etc.

1 minute ago, discreet said:

Typical collector. :)

I don’t have a problem with people who want to collect instruments - it’s their money etc. 

But I do think that there’s a rather odd degree of snobbery around instrument brands and prices.. “You must be good, you have a £2k bass” or “You can’t be that good if you only have a Squier” etc..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

“You must be good, you have a £2k bass” or “You can’t be that good if you only have a Squier” etc..

Some folks listen with their eyes and prejudices. A shame, as they’re missing the point of what an instrument is for.

8 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I don’t have a problem with people who want to collect instruments - it’s their money etc. 

But I do think that there’s a rather odd degree of snobbery around instrument brands and prices.. “You must be good, you have a £2k bass” or “You can’t be that good if you only have a Squier” etc..

It was an odd experience for me, him blowing £10k or the best part thereof when he couldn’t play wasn’t odd.

watched a guy spend £70,000 on a piano he couldn’t play because it would “look great” in the foyer of his house....that was bonkers (it was a Yamaha c9 concert grand.

17 hours ago, ianrendall said:

Ok so, we as bassists can all agree that the granddaddy of basses is the P Bass, like it or not. And I assume that we can all agree that the three most recognisable basses in terms of sound are the P, the J and the Stingray.

So what if another came first? If the J or Ray came in 1951 instead of the P would they be the benchmark? Is the P’s success down to it just being the first?

Going back to the OP's question, I'm not entirely sure there's a whole lot of difference in the fundamental tone of those three basses. They sound a lot like basses to me...

But the question of the P bass being the benchmark due to history? I don't know. If Jesus had originally appeared in 20th century Alabama, would the iconic symbol of Christianity be the electric chair instead of the cross..? :biggrin:

Just now, AndyTravis said:

It was an odd experience for me, him blowing £10k or the best part thereof when he couldn’t play wasn’t odd.

watched a guy spend £70,000 on a piano he couldn’t play because it would “look great” in the foyer of his house....that was bonkers (it was a Yamaha c9 concert grand.

Again, if people are upfront about the motivation for buying then, hey, why not?

It’s the snobbery I don’t like. “Oh, I wouldn’t play a squier - it’s just so amateur”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

On bass, next the majority of situations, the quality of the note and the resonant qualities of the instrument are going to matter less. 

Not to me it doesn't, and it's my money I'm spending.

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

It’s the snobbery I don’t like. “Oh, I wouldn’t play a squier - it’s just so amateur”

Some pros use Squier, it makes sense. If something catastrophic happens you can get one in practically any town or city likely to be on any tour and it's not going to affect your bottom line too much. Touring can have very narrow margins financially to say the least.

2 minutes ago, discreet said:

Going back to the OP's question, I'm not entirely sure there's a whole lot of difference in the fundamental tone of those three basses. They sound a lot like basses to me.

This was brought home at the recent SE Bass Bash where a ‘blindfold’ tone test was done with umpteen basses. A room full of players failed to identify a goodly number of different basses when played behind a curtain, through the same rig (dual p/up instruments were played with both on). A cure for tonal GAS if ever there was one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, discreet said:

Some pros use Squier, it makes sense. If something catastrophic happens you can get one in practically any town or city likely to be on any tour and it's not going to affect your bottom line too much. Touring can have very narrow margins financially to say the least.

Which is exactly why I don’t understand the snobbery at all

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

These opinions are generally held by punters and non-players, or at least non-giggers. I've gigged a Harley Benton and I've gigged a Sue Ryder P at a NYE gig at the Grosvenor in Park Lane... no appreciable difference compared with my USA 76 P. But recording is another matter...

2 minutes ago, ezbass said:

This was brought home at the recent SE Bass Bash where a ‘blindfold’ tone test was done with umpteen basses. A room full of players failed to identify a goodly number of different basses when played behind a curtain, through the same rig (dual p/up instruments were played with both on). A cure for tonal GAS if ever there was one.

At the end of the day, a bass is made up of a set of component parts that each add to the “sound”.

In the main, these components are pretty much alike from one bass to another - strings, bridge, tuners, wood, pickups and how they are made/wound. 

We formulate and process information in our brain from a mixture of sensory sources - I’m not surprised there was little discernible difference in an audio only test as nobody had the visual cues that our brain often uses to interpret sound..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Muzz said:

There's a fundamental difference between owning an instrument and playing one; the emphasis can be weighted heavily either way...YOB basses are an ideal example.

I'd buy a YOB bass if I could afford it. I'd expect it to play well enough and sound good, however it's only wood and wire like any other bass. But I'd enjoy the history, the backstory, the 'mojo' and... the smell. :)

My point exactly. Apart from the smell, possibly, but hey, as long as you're not doing it in the street and frightening the horses... 

Any instrument can be anything from a decorative item, to a sentimental one, to a status symbol, to a simple tool*, to something to be sniffed in private...as I say, you pays yer money...

* Shush at the back...

• Like 1

Just now, Muzz said:

My point exactly. Apart from the smell, possibly, but hey, as long as you're not doing it in the street and frightening the horses... 

Any instrument can be anything from a decorative item, to a sentimental one, to a status symbol, to a simple tool*, to something to be sniffed in private...as I say, you pays yer money...

* Shush at the back...

Basssniff.co.uk anyone?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Teebs said:

But would a Fender P smell be more authentic and represent the quintessence of the bass guitar, rather than say, a Gibson, a Yamaha or a Hofner?

Funnily enough the smell is often dictated by the glue they used to stick the case lining down with....