Why become a member? Read more... ×
Basschat Podcast: Episode 2 Read more... ×
Andyjr1515

Eude throws down the gauntlet

I have one more decision before gluing the top on - do I take a bit of thickness out of the body to reduce the weight a touch more.  

To assess the current state of play, if you remember:

• I chambered heavily the body
  • but the katalox is much heavier than the equivalent 10mm of ash I removed off the top
  • and the Warwick bridge is also significantly heavier than the previous bridge.

So, apart from the curving of the katalox edges once fitted, the other things I have now done is:

Rounded out the angular sides of the control chamber:

OlGjFF3l.jpg

Then deepen the new neck pocket (it will be final shaped once the neck has been done):

26IIf4il.jpg

And finally chambered the underside of the katalox top (including the final thicknessing for the control chamber roof):

U7qJZVLl.jpg

Final tally is that, even with the new bridge, this is now 1/2lb lighter than the original body.

So while I have a sandwich, my pondering will be - should I take another 5mm off the thickness of the body.  Weightwise it's a no brainer.  Functionality, it makes no difference.  My only reason for pondering is whether aesthetically it changes the vibe by being a tiny bit slimmer.  Not sure it will but these things are always worth a ponder before committing! 

• Like 1

Well - over the sandwich I decided yes - it could do with a 5mm slimdown.  Actually, it will balance the look of the top and the back better.  So out came the home-made router rig again:

idP0zbNl.jpg

Weight-wise it's broadly where I wanted it to be.  Including the heavier bridge, the body is now 3/4lb lighter than the original.  That will feel quite different :)

So next job is gluing the top on :party:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Well - over the sandwich I decided yes - it could do with a 5mm slimdown.

Image result for tesco every little helps

• Haha 1

And the top's on!

Lightly dampened to show the colour it will be when it's finished:

zejTG5sl.jpg

You can see the ebony veneer demarcation here:

x265Vupl.jpg

The ebony is very, very thin but it still makes quite a difference to the look of completeness.  It will also widen as it is sanded round the curve of the carve.  I think I first saw veneers this thin for demarcation (at the time I was generally using the thicker 2mm constructional veneers for demarcation and this thickness for veneering tops) used on one of @Jabba_the_gut 's builds and thought how classy it made it all look.

I will sort the neck before I do the final carve - reinstating the curves of the original - and then I can make sure the curves all blend with one another.

BUT - based on the fact that this was the 'fill-in project' - first I'd better do a little bit more on the full build for the guy in Hawaii! :D

• Like 4

@Andyjr1515, that is bloody gorgeous! Thank you SO much!

The veneer accent works really well too, this is going to be a stunner 😎

Eude

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's so subtle yet effective.  Splendid.

• Thanks 1