Why become a member? ×

Eude throws down the gauntlet

Andyjr1515

Spent some time today squaring up, flattening and sizing the neck blank and adding the truss-rod slot ready for sorting the heel routing.  This will incorporate the neck angle so I won't be doing that until the body top has been glued on and the bridge chamber cut, allowing me to work out accurately the neck angle needed.  

From this photo, the neck will end up 60mm or so shorter as the neck pocket is deepened, and a corresponding notch put into the bottom of the heel, allowing the neck to move toward the back until the tenon is fully in place in the pocket.

BRTUTjBl.jpg

I'm aware the above probably makes no grammatical sense at all - I'll post photos when that stage is reached and all, hopefully, will become clear.  :D

Clearly the neck will eventually taper to the nut but it is, nevertheless, a wide neck and I am tempted to pop a couple of carbon rods in there to keep everything straight and stable.  What do you reckon? 

• Like 2

Applying the ebony demarcation veneer.  You will hardly see it, but it makes such a difference when you look at the actual join.

Because katalox is an oily wood, I'm taking no chances and am using epoxy rather than wood glue - which doesn't work so well on oily woods.

9B3cf5Jl.jpg

When this is done, I'll be seeing how much weight I can take out of the underside of the top before gluing it on and starting to fit the neck joint...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rk7 said:

Hi chaps! I'm back!

Great thread, I have a similar project in the 'potential' box at the moment. Watching this one with interest.

Great work Andy, as ever!

thank you please

RK

Welcome back! :)

Still the best avatar on the site....

And now my attention turns to the top.

This is one of the tricky bits - making sure the three holes for the stoptail, bridge and pickup are square, tight and in the right place.

For the pickup, I needed to make sure it line up with the previous body rout.  Back to the 'press a fingernail round on a piece of paper' trick ;)

6m3OuE2l.jpg

For rectangular chambers, nowadays I always start with the corners - I find it much easier to get these in exactly the right place...

kGd5lkQl.jpg

Then, after hogging out with a forstner, I stuck some straight edges around and used a trimmer bit on the router.  To my admitted surprise, it fits!:

RSRM1QUl.jpg

I may use the same technique for the bridge block.  For the stoptail, I'm probably going to have to cut a proper template...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, eude said:

And for my next trick... ;) 

Took the words right out of my mouth :lol:

rlKGY5Ll.jpg

Z3q25t5l.jpg

Next one - the stop tail - is a bit more tricky.  I'm out of action the next couple of days so it may need to wait until Friday.  We'll see what the next hour yields.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the things that I like about this forum and think is important in these threads is that the more experienced guys are never afraid to admit to whoopsies :lol:   I think you know what's coming.

The reason I think it is important is that when you start off doing this sort of stuff, all sorts of minor disasters happen and it is easy to think that you just don't have the skills to do it and that is made worse by seeing the work of the guys and gals you think have all the skills.  That is very demoralising. 

The reality is quite different.   The best builders in the world make c**k ups.  Wood is fickle and unpredictable and we are all prone to mistakes and misjudgements.  But the more experienced folks ARE often better at finding a way round it rather than scrapping the piece and starting again or just giving up ;)

Or, in simpler terms

...it was all going SO well :D

For the tail stock, it has that bend in it and rounded ends.

A flash of inspiration - drill three holes the right size , then pop a couple of straight guides to router the area between them.

Like this:

yBWEtLCl.jpg 

Here you can see where I have already routed between the end hole and the middle hole.  You can see the two straight router bit guides underneath.  So just a case of moving the straight guides, then rout from the middle to the drilled hole at the other side.

Now in hindsight, what I SHOULD have done was thought - ah...now that material is cut...gosh, there isn't going to be much holding the brittle katalox strip while I rout it!

So this was the result 9_9

p4Yx4wCl.jpg 

...and this was just before I was going away for a couple of days.

The left hand break was a very clean break.  The right hand was where the router bit pinged it off and sent shards off in very directions.  Tip - always pick up the shards and dust - it can be useful!

It looks dramatic but is actually quite a quick fix.  I'm back and it's already fixed.

The left hand side, which also broke off at the centre join, was just a grain-to-grain invisible glue job:

PXy5k63l.jpg

The final piece, due to the shards having come away, wasn't going to fit as easily.  So here, I mixed epoxy with some katalox sanding dust and then used some of the shards to squeeze into the two join lines.

It looks crude at this stage:

86X8Qrpl.jpg

...but once the epoxy is set, sanding it exposes the wood chips and dust and you end up genuinely unable to be sure where the original break line was:

oZ2VjYEl.jpg

So - we're back on track.

Just got a bit more lightening of the top and it can be glued on :)

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 1