Why become a member? ×

Using a PA type power amp

Leonard Smalls

I've still got my 1990 Marshall Jubilee bass head, together with an 80s Yamaha 15" folded horn cab. Over the years I've added a DBX compressor and BBE pre-amp to the mini 4u rack the Marshall came in. I also noticed how heavy the amp (20+kg) and particularly the cab (40+kg) are, so bought a Markbass 2x10 cab weighing in at about 4 grammes - which I use exclusively for smaller gigs or as a stack for bigger ones.

So I got to thinking, maybe I should ditch the Marshall head, as I'm only using its power amp anyway, and replace it with something a bit more old man friendly; I know these are special Marshall watts, but anyone got any thoughts about what type of power amp would be best? I was thinking perhaps Crown XLS1502? I was also going to get the matching 15" Markbass cab as a mini-stack option, unless anyone's got brighter ideas? I like the fact that for a change, my speakers will match!

bassStack.jpg

As a system it will do what you want but it might be worth some time auditioning some speakers and deciding what you want. Your folded horn speaker is going to have a very strong characteristic sound all it's own. Losing that might be something you'd miss or an albatross off your back of course. If you like the Mark Bass and you need more volume get another then you know it'll make a sound you like.

you could even consider going for an active PA speaker. Basically a PA amp and speaker closely matched in a single box for slightly less than both bought separately.

Basically though go for something that sounds the way you want. Looks like you tend to keep stuff so you might as well start with something you like as it'll be there for some time :)

I ran a QSC PLX1602 for years and there are many times I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it. Actually that's every time I do a backline provided gig and I have to use an amp!

Look for something with a low input sensitivity (around 0.7V would be ideal) so that you can drive it properly. Thomann have some good deals on at the moment if you're buying new. There are also loads on ebay for a steal. I think for the same reasons: everyone in the PA world is moving to powered cabs and so fewer and fewer people want the amps. Good for bassists!

We seem to have covered this ad-infinitum elsewhere, but here goes again.

I use a Matrix GT1000FX.  2U rack poweramp.  Very lightweight, very able.  385w into 8ohms, 1000w bridged.

There's never been an issue with any pre-stage that gets plugged into it.  I'd never go back to an all in one head.

I´m using a KMT DC5 poweramp together with a Peavey Alpha tube bass preamp as well as a selfmade preamp for my fretless. Those KMT amps (or relabeled as Red Rock) are wide spread among german bassist. They are very reliable, sound great and not too expensive. Inside there´s a linear supply, not switchmode like most modern amps. This raises it´s weight to 9kg compared to a few kg less with switchmode amps. The powersupply in poweramps makes all the difference for me. I still have to find a good sounding amp with switchmode supply. If you´re used to your oldschool Marshall with tons of headroom then be aware of the powersupply problem when you replace it.