Why become a member? ×

Who is 'old' and still looks our for new music?

operative451

I like new music and i am over 30 (because Radio 1's demographic is up to 29)!  

13 members have voted

1. 1. It was all better in my day

• All these youngsters with their dubity step and their metalemocore need to listen to some REAL music
    • Old stuff? Like, really early Rhianna? Nah.

I'm stumbling towards my half century and have got to a point when the only 'new' music I'm interested in is electronica. I don't mean cheesy EDM  but more leftfield stuff . My main source of new music is Last FM where you can check out 'similar artists'. Occasionally I tune into Planet Rock but all I hear from current bands is stuff that's as predictable as chart pop. Soz rock fans. Greta van Fleet, Monster Truck, Volbeat etc.  I've heard it all before, long, long ago.

25 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

Volbeat are definitely not a new band! 

I did say 'current'  and not 'new'  bands.  I will say that Planet Rock does seem to be very conservative in its playlists. Although not a big rock fan I quite like a bit of Deftones, Lamb of God, Mastodon and Prophets of Rage but random scans of PR playlists show these and many other biggish names in current rock get very little look in.

3 hours ago, operative451 said:

Maybe i'm 'lucky' my teenage years were in the 80s, so SAW, Rick Astley et al... Blegh... Also i have no desire to be nostalgic about my teens as they sucked! :D

Mine we also the 80s, but I enjoyed the music, but I didn't listen to any chart music back then. Hated most of it. Turns out now I don't hate most of it and I can be nostalgic about some of that music, but just because music is special to you because it reminds you of a time shouldn't mean you don't want to hear new stuff, but I am always surprised to find people who don't listen to anything other than what they listened to in their teens and 20s (unless of course, they are in their teens or 20s, and then I guess it is acceptable).

At least the group I am in play some things from this century, although not much.

I think the only music from a band of this century I have listened to and enjoyed (as in bought their CDs and seen them live) has been the Cody Sisters, a Dad and two daughters acoustic act from Denver who sing and play bluegrass, folk, and country. They are like a breath of fresh air - and lovely people, I met them when they did a short tour of the UK a couple of months ago.

Other than that, I still regard the 1980s as dangerously recent.

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm stumbling towards my half century and have got to a point when the only 'new' music I'm interested in is electronica. I don't mean cheesy EDM  but more leftfield stuff . My main source of new music is Last FM where you can check out 'similar artists'. Occasionally I tune into Planet Rock but all I hear from current bands is stuff that's as predictable as chart pop. Soz rock fans. Greta van Fleet, Monster Truck, Volbeat etc.  I've heard it all before, long, long ago.

I agree: the usual playlist on Planet Rock makes me fear that rock music is in pretty dire health (I have ranted on this subject quite a big in the past). Every so often I come across groups like All Them Witches, or Bouquet of Dead Crows, who seem to have some fresh ideas, but they're few and far between. Like you, I also owe a couple of great discoveries to Last.FM - it's a shame it's not more widely used.

I'm always on the hunt, so to speak, but find that an awful lot of current trending stuff does leave me a little cold.  Honestly can't bear stuff like Ed Sheeran or this ramp of festival pleasers - I look at the line up for this years Reading and there's two bands I'd pay to see.  Umm, The Front Bottoms and La Dispute.

I've played with so much talent over the last few years.  If you want to check out some, honest to god, great bands, dial up Spotify or whatever and check out Dronningen or Hawaii Zombies or The Black Bullets or Orange Bomb or Rage DC.

I'm 38 and I don't actively look for new music too much. However, every now and then I seem to stumble across a band I really like, the last one being king gizzard and the lizard wizard - who fortunately enough are rather prolific when it comes to making albums.

i did use Spotify for a while, and the suggested track feature is pretty good. But overall I think it makes music feel a bit 'throwaway'