Jump to content

No more Procrastination! (An interesting small valve head story)


Bridgehouse

Recommended Posts

Having decided to keep the Barefaced Compact, and set up a recording rig with it, I've skirted around the edges of some sort of nice valve-y classic head to stick on it for too long.

The procrastination needs to stop. Budget is about £700ish.

Contenders already include the Ampeg PF-20t/50t and the Ashdown CTM 15/30

I'd also consider the Orange Terror 500 or one of the markbass hybrids as well. 

If thou were I, what would you be splashing your cash on? and remember - recording, not gigging. I'm more than covered for gigging.

This is my attempt to stop being seen as the mass murderer of all things Rock and Roll following my FRFR thread.

Edited by Bridgehouse
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm... I've owned both the CTM30 & LB30 and really enjoyed them. I own the CTM15 and am not convinced yet - I'm a tinkerer and have a few ideas on how to improve on it, but I may part ways with it since I have a PF-50T incoming. I wouldn't go the Orange Terror route myself. The LB30 sounds nicer and won't try to take your head off... The Ampegs have a dummy load built in so silent recording is a built in option, which is rather nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bigwan said:

Hmm... I've owned both the CTM30 & LB30 and really enjoyed them. I own the CTM15 and am not convinced yet - I'm a tinkerer and have a few ideas on how to improve on it, but I may part ways with it since I have a PF-50T incoming. I wouldn't go the Orange Terror route myself. The LB30 sounds nicer and won't try to take your head off... The Ampegs have a dummy load built in so silent recording is a built in option, which is rather nice.

See, you've given the game away by saying you have a PF-50T incoming, which is prob first choice at the moment..... there must be a reason you've spent the dosh on it as it isn't cheap...!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bridgehouse said:

See, you've given the game away by saying you have a PF-50T incoming, which is prob first choice at the moment..... there must be a reason you've spent the dosh on it as it isn't cheap...!

Real answer? it's a 50 watt valve amp that will sit on top of my vertical Barefaced Two10 without annoying my OCD... and I've never owned an Ampeg (other than a noisy SVP) so the time felt right.

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

(BTW if you let the CTM15 go for cheap I'll probably be interested anyway) 😜

I'll give you first refusal!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Real answer? it's a 50 watt valve amp that will sit on top of my vertical Barefaced Two10 without annoying my OCD... and I've never owned an Ampeg (other than a noisy SVP) so the time felt right.

I'll give you first refusal!

Nice one..!

I had a go with a PF50t at the guitar show this year (was on a stand right near Ampeg). Now, it was going through a rather tasty portaflex 115, but it was the creamiest, most luxuriously sounding dollop of bassy tubeness I've ever heard.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Nice one..!

I had a go with a PF50t at the guitar show this year (was on a stand right near Ampeg). Now, it was going through a rather tasty portaflex 115, but it was the creamiest, most luxuriously sounding dollop of bassy tubeness I've ever heard.. 

Looking forward to getting my mitts on it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's always a B15...

Precious little in small valve amps for bass. Hughes and Kettner did one called the Bassmaster (5 watts) but it's like hen's teeth. You could try the SWR Interstellar OD (10 watts), but it has the baked in SWR thing going on around the aural enhancer circuit.

Check out @disssa's website: https://www.disssa.de/

Edited by Bigwan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Looking forward to getting my mitts on it!

I’m using the pf20t for recording only and it’s absolutely spot on. It doesn’t need a load so seems designed for silent studio based recording. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Plus you can take clean and valve outputs at the same time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MartinB said:

Love the idea of a little PF-20T for recording... if only I ever did any recording! 😁
£299 seems like a good price (https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/ampeg-portaflex-pf-20t-20w-bass-amplifier-head), though "Available to order" might mean "no chance".

They are supposed to be £500....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MartinB said:

Love the idea of a little PF-20T for recording... if only I ever did any recording! 😁
£299 seems like a good price (https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/ampeg-portaflex-pf-20t-20w-bass-amplifier-head), though "Available to order" might mean "no chance".

 I’m deeply impressed with mine because it has its more flexible than say a REDDI And you can drive the gain more or less depending upon your personal preference

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dodge_bass said:

 I’m deeply impressed with mine because it has its more flexible than say a REDDI And you can drive the gain more or less depending upon your personal preference

How loud do you think it would be through my barefaced Compact? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

How loud do you think it would be through my barefaced Compact? 

That I could not say as I’ve yet to try mine. The 20 I suspect might be ok for very small gigs, the 50 slightly bigger gigs but probably isn’t that powerful....but as I say haven’t tried mine out in anger yet! ;)

Edited by dodge_bass
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dodge_bass said:

That I could not say as I’ve yet to try mine. The 20 I suspect might be ok for very small gigs, the 50 slightly bigger gigs but probably isn’t that powerful....but as I say haven’t tried mine out in anger yet! ;)

I wouldn’t want to gig it - but knowing I don’t have to crank the barefaced too much whilst recording to get some cab tone would make it actually more useful.. hmmmm

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MartinB said:

When I work up this morning, I didn't think, "Today I'm going to buy a tube amp!". And yet, here we are.
💸

Neither did I.

 

This is of course a lie to make you feel better. I did. And I neeeeeeed that tube sound for recording.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I would get this from @Chimike - I know I keep looking at it with GAS (and guessing for recording portability is secondary 

 

Lovely looking - but a bit out of my price range and I’m looking for something to sit on top of my barefaced Compact - I think that TE would crush it!! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Lovely looking - but a bit out of my price range and I’m looking for something to sit on top of my barefaced Compact - I think that TE would crush it!! 

It’s a combo... by the time you sell the barefaced you can afford it! :D

 

plus it will stop me looking at it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

It’s a combo... by the time you sell the barefaced you can afford it! :D

 

plus it will stop me looking at it

I’m not sure my upstairs floor will cope with the weight - I’d need a reinforced rsj put in to cope with it 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...