Why become a member? ×

HB PB-50 - v3.0 Becomes v4.0...

discreet

20 hours ago, discreet said:

Stripping bodies back to the wood is highly overrated in my opinion! 

+ a lot of numbers :)

So many people seem to spend ages laboriously taking the paint/primer/sealing coat off and then another age trying to cover/fill the woodgrain and prime it to get it back to where it was when they started. Leave the original finish if in good nick, a quick rub with some scotchbrite or Micromesh or the like and you're good to go. 

I really love that colour BTW, I seem to share your love of cream basses, I paint a colour to be different to all the cream ones and then wish I'd done it cream. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Maude said:

...people spend ages laboriously taking the paint/primer/sealing coat off and then another age trying to cover/fill the woodgrain and prime it to get it back to where it was when they started...

Yes, it's mad. In fact the better the existing finish is, the better the refinish will be. A light surface scuffing to key the paint, careful attention to dirt and grease removal and as you said, you're good to go...

Edited by discreet

45 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

If you are a habitual refinisher and don’t want to totally strip then do be careful of weight.. 

That's actually an issue if you use say, two cans of paint per refin, then do say, three refins on a body that's already painted and clear-coated... you could end up with the equivalent of ten or twelve can's worth of paint on there... and paint weighs roughly 1kg per litre. And an average can is 400ml, so 10 cans could weigh, er... forty tonnes. :biggrin:

Seriously though, you could end up with 8lbs of paint on a bass weighing say, 8lbs... thus a 16lb bass. And if you're refinishing a 70s Fender, it might get silly...

Edited by discreet

2 minutes ago, discreet said:

That's actually an issue if you use say, two cans of paint per refin, then do say, three refins on a body that's already painted and clear-coated... you could end up with the equivalent of ten or twelve can's worth of paint on there... and paint weighs roughly 1kg per litre. And an average can is 400ml, so 10 cans could weigh, er... forty tonnes. :biggrin:

Exactly. 

I remember reading about a guitar having it’s poly finish removed and it was weighted separately at well over 10kgs making the guitar a negative weight and thus capable of floating.

3 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I remember reading about a guitar having it’s poly finish removed and it was weighted separately at well over 10kgs making the guitar a negative weight and thus capable of floating.

And a Boeing 747 uses 90 gallons of paint weighing 550lbs...

Don't forget stripping,painting,stripping again,painting again changes the body's thickness.

When I fitted the bridge to the pink torpedo bass it sat too low for the neck. Had to router the neck pocket deeper.

Stripping and sanding could knock 3mm off the body,imagine the effect a 3mm shim would have  if dropped in the pocket 😱

10 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Stripping and sanding could knock 3mm off the body, imagine the effect a 3mm shim would have  if dropped in the pocket 

That's a thought. So if you needed to shim the neck, you could instead choose to strip the paint off... :biggrin:

Edited by discreet
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sprocketflup said:

I am a jazz fan, I shall probs give it a miss then :)

I’m a Jazz player predominantly and as @discreet says the PB50 neck is very chunky; it’s very different to what I’m used to, but I find it coaxes a different playing style out of me. It’s almost as if the bass wants to be played in a way that suits the neck, especially with flatwounds, if you see what I mean. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

I’m a Jazz player predominantly and as @discreet says the PB50 neck is very chunky; it’s very different to what I’m used to, but I find it coaxes a different playing style out of me. It’s almost as if the bass wants to be played in a way that suits the neck, especially with flatwounds, if you see what I mean. 

A big thick 44mm nut size neck like the good old P bass necks encourage you to play in particular style - not too complicated :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, discreet said:

Good advice. And cut outside the lines! You can get closer later. Trying to save time results in a smaller-than-usual headstock! Apparently. :ph34r:

14 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Do a series of straight cuts getting as near to the lines rather than try to cut the curves in one go. You can clean the wee peaks and troughs up with a rasp. 

Thanks for the tips! The fret saw I've borrowed can do curves quite nicely, but I am definitely going to take the more cautious route of using it to get the rough outline rather than try to get the precise shape at the cutting stage. I expect that there will be a fair amount of spent time sanding...

25 minutes ago, discreet said:

I use a sanding block, plus a large magic marker for the curvy bits. Wrapped in sandpaper or micromesh, obviously. :)

For finishing and for detail, someone bought me one of those silly pick punches for making your own plectrums - and in the box came a rectangular 4 sided sanding block for finishing the picks off - it's absolutely brilliant for many sanding jobs!

I used an electric jigsaw and sanded by hand. I was quite pleased with the result.

I got a Mike Dirnt template off the internet. Little tip, I found it easier to place the template on the back of the headstock as it’s flatter and the template sits better. Also i could line up the printed machine head holes through the drilled holes of the headstock. 

37745147-0ED6-449E-86E6-4EEA64B6C1E0.jpeg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Plan was the run round it with a router and flush trimmer cutter. Once it dawned on me nobody was using a router the next batch I sent out were just cut vinyl 😂

I would have used a router, but I'm really not comfortable with power tools since I nearly sliced my balls off with a circular saw during a cab build. Just sayin'. :)

Edited by discreet
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, discreet said:

I would have used a router, but I'm really not comfortable with power tools since I nearly sliced my balls off with a circular saw during a cab build. Just sayin'. :)

Had you actually done so, you could have claimed for evermore that you had a cab with real balls.

Wasted a good opportunity, there, I reckon :)

• Haha 1