Why become a member? ×

HB PB-50 - v3.0 Becomes v4.0...

discreet

Amazing, handsome looking bass with fantastic sound a job WELL DONE!

Just to confirm the pickup model you used was the "Franken-Tele bass Twin coil 11K Ohm" correct?

What magnets & footwork did you specify?

Edited by JohnDaBass
Spelling mistakes
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Just to confirm the pickup model you used was the "Franken-Tele bass Twin coil 11K Ohm" correct?

That seems to be a new addition to the product range, but I suppose it must be. I asked Martin to make me a dual-coil 51 Telebass pickup overwound to 11k ohms. He made three or four, so I'm guessing that must be one of 'em! :)

Mine has AlNiCo 5 magnets, but I'm sure Martin would supply whichever magnets you wanted. I imagine a Neo version would be pretty poky, if that's your thing.

Edited by discreet

Here's an indoor pic taken on my phone, which is more how it looks away from direct sunlight. In artificial light it looks even lighter. I'm sure at a gig under stage lights it would look like 'a white bass'. Either way, I'm pleased with the look and even more pleased with the Herrick dual-coil.

These basses cost less than £100 from Thomann, but you can appreciate that for the money I've spent overall, I could probably have picked up a very playable and good-looking new or used bass.

But I wouldn't know what I now know about pickups, refinishing, how a bass is put together and all those little related bits of random knowledge picked up during the process. :)

20180725_130135.jpg

Edited by discreet
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That looks (and sounds) superb! I'm very tentatively modding one of these myself, and this is a real inspiration - especially the headstock re-shape and neck tint, because aesthetically that is the weakest part of the original guitar to my eyes. Nice job 😊

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, b7l4s said:

...especially the headstock re-shape and neck tint, because aesthetically that is the weakest part of the original guitar to my eyes...

The re-shape was done using a template kindly provided by Mr Kodiakblair and carried out (by me) in a very unsophisticated manner using a junior hacksaw and lots of sanding. :)

The neck colour is a combination of Amber Tint and Dark Yellow nitro. I left the back of the neck alone, because I like the stock satin finish. The necks on these basses are great.

Edited by discreet

Just now, Bridgehouse said:

One of these HB’s would be a great candidate for the Oil City single coil Ric-o-pic I just got hold of... 

It would. I also have a little fantasy about producing a blue Peterbuilt-alike using a Dark Star or one of its clones...

Screenshot_20180725-141023.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, discreet said:

It would. I also have a little fantasy about producing a blue Peterbuilt-alike using a Dark Star or one of its clones...

Screenshot_20180725-141023.png

I've just moved the Oil City pickup into my surf green partscaster.. and it sure looks purty!

Iq2YVcK.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, discreet said:

How about an audio clip? I'd love to know what it sounds like. :)

I've got some of it in the semi-hollow but not done one for the solid yet.

The other issue is it's a bass overdub on a track from our latest album and it's not released yet - so I can't post publicly yet.

I'll PM you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, discreet said:

The re-shape was done using a template kindly provided by Mr Kodiakblair and carried out (by me) in a very unsophisticated manner using a junior hacksaw and lots of sanding.

I've been reading your previous threads on this project to get some pointers on what you learned, which is very helpful - I have to say I really like where you've ended up with this version 4.

So with new enthusiasm for doing my own bass I located said template in an older thread and printed it off - much better than the freehand sketch currently on the headstock, waiting for me to pluck up the courage to start cutting... typically, I can't re-locate the thread, but I think that thanks are due to Kodiakblair for uploading. I'll attach the pdf again here, in case anyone else would benefit.

I've managed to borrow an electric fretsaw which seems like the idea tool for doing the re-shape - I'll post the results when I get it done.

bassheads.pdf

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, b7l4s said:

I'll post the results when I get it done.

Please do! Come to think of it, I think KB may well have used the Mike Dirnt shape? Though I'm not entirely sure how it compares to any other 'Telebass' headstock. They all look alike to me. ;)

3 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Do a series of straight cuts getting as near to the lines rather than try to cut the curves in one go. You can clean the wee peaks and troughs up with a rasp.

Good advice. And cut outside the lines! You can get closer later. Trying to save time results in a smaller-than-usual headstock! Apparently. :ph34r:

• Haha 1