Why become a member? ×

Nickel-Like Steels or Steel-Like Nickels??

Hi Folks!

Looking to tap into the wealth of knowledge available here...

For the 16 years I've been playing, I've yet to find a string that's MY string...  I've flitted between all of the big brands, coateds, nickels, S/S etc and I've got a good idea of the qualities I'm looking for; I just need them all in the same string!

Ideally, what I'm looking for is:

• Really low tension
  • medium gauge: 40-95
  • Bright, growly quality to the sound - more aggressive
  • As smooth as possible under the finger - Currently using D'Addario Nickels and that's the sort of texture I'd like.

Does anyone know of anything that would fit the bill? :)

Thanks! 

• Like 1

If you want low tension, you need to abandon the idea that you can get the tension you want from your predetermined size of strings.

Try the Dunlop Super Bright Nickel range. Maybe even use the top 4 strings of a 6 string set tuned down to E.

Maybe Thomastic’s Jazz rounds would work for you. Never played the rounds, but the flats are the best out there.

18 hours ago, jposega said:

If you want low tension, you need to abandon the idea that you can get the tension you want from your predetermined size of strings.

Try the Dunlop Super Bright Nickel range. Maybe even use the top 4 strings of a 6 string set tuned down to E.

Maybe Thomastic’s Jazz rounds would work for you. Never played the rounds, but the flats are the best out there.

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Really low tension suggests Thomastiks to me - certainly the flats are so do some research on the rounds.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've had a spy at those thomastiks strings, nearly died when I saw the price! Maybe an xmas present from the mrs, and may try some dunlops in the meantime...

On 10/07/2018 at 22:30, The59Sound said:

DR Pure Blues. They are the string you're describing. You won't regret it - I've been using nothing but for the last 2 years. 

I've been looking at the pure blues in honesty!  I've seen a bit more love for the super brights online though, do you have any comparative experience with both?

13 hours ago, Delberthot said:

D'addario EXLs are the smoothest roundwound string that I've found - are you currently looking for 40-95 or is that what you are using?

These are what I'm currently using, I've found they've 'textured' a fair bit and almost completely deadened (if that's a word?).  I'm currently using 40-95s, it's always been my preferred gauge.  If I can get the same sort of tension from a heavier gauge (as jposega suggested) then I'm willing to give it a go :) 

On 09/07/2018 at 11:13, thisisswanbon said:

Hi Folks!

Looking to tap into the wealth of knowledge available here...

For the 16 years I've been playing, I've yet to find a string that's MY string...  I've flitted between all of the big brands, coateds, nickels, S/S etc and I've got a good idea of the qualities I'm looking for; I just need them all in the same string!

Ideally, what I'm looking for is:

• Really low tension
  • medium gauge: 40-95
  • Bright, growly quality to the sound - more aggressive
  • As smooth as possible under the finger - Currently using D'Addario Nickels and that's the sort of texture I'd like.

Does anyone know of anything that would fit the bill? :)

Thanks! 

What you are describing sounds exactly like Ernie Ball Extra Slinky.

I've tried a lot of nickel strings and i keep coming back to these for the growl and feel. I use them on a stingray and i cannot find a better string for that bass.  I had a 5 string set on a Jazz and again, nothing better for me.  Also had them them on a P for a little while, super aggressive on a P.

I find string choice really bass specific, what works on one may sound or feel terrible on another. But at least EB strings are cheap enough to try out.

Edited by No. 8 Wire

4 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

I've been looking at the pure blues in honesty!  I've seen a bit more love for the super brights online though, do you have any comparative experience with both?

These are what I'm currently using, I've found they've 'textured' a fair bit and almost completely deadened (if that's a word?).  I'm currently using 40-95s, it's always been my preferred gauge.  If I can get the same sort of tension from a heavier gauge (as jposega suggested) then I'm willing to give it a go :) 

I have tried Super Brights as well and didn't dig them. They're not as bright as you think and their 'core' sound faded quite quickly IME. They are also really low tension for their gauge. I think Sunbeams are similar-ish. Sunbeams are definitely more brighter out the packet.

Pure Blues to me are like Sunbeams but not quite as bright fresh on - they do retain their sound very well though from my 18 months using them but they have really nice mids that the Sunbeams or Super Brights can't match IMO. They are a nice tension as well, not as low as the Dunlops but still very playable.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  I opted for the super brights as they were £16 on amazon...

One gig in, and the difference between these and the D'Addario XL's is like night and day... so punchy sounding with great smooth texture and great low tension.  I'll see what longevity is like, but for the money they seem an absolute steal!