Why become a member? ×

Suspicious? .. 70's P (+ 43 other guitars/FX) ??

eubassix

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-USA-1978-PRECISION-BASS-GUITAR-ORIGINAL_W0QQitemZ260319528632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item260319528632&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-USA-1978-PREC...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

.. not sure if anybody here is watching this, but might be one to proceed with extreme caution.

The seller has 43 items ending in the next 3+ days - mostly high-end guitars, but also some FX pedals etc. and this attractive 70's fender P.
I sent a message (he's supposedly based in Stockton or Middlesbrough - both close to my location) asking to see/try the instrument and recevied the following reply:-

[i] " Hi There, Thanks for your kind email it is much aprieciated.Please keep watching my listings. Can I wish you a very happy Christmas to yourself and your family Best Wishes
- rollinghome63 " [/i]

.. very nice/seasonal, but not really what I was expecting (!!).

Feedback is limited (2) and both these beyond 90-days.

I've sent a text to the no. provided .. no response (as yet).

Not sure - I've had a look at some of the other auctions and he gives the impression that he knows what he's talking about.

Other questions such as the ones from the PRS auction seem okay.

Maybe he's skint like the rest of us?

Just like the baker, he kneaded the dough :)

Where's me coat?

A quick look at his other auctions show the photos all appear to have been shot in the same place, so if he's nicked them from the web they've come from a single owner.

I'd email him back making it clear you want to try it before the auction ends or you won't be bidding.

NO reply to text as yet - maybe I'll call him before the P ends on Sunday or Monday.

It just seemed a bit odd (apart from the Yuletide Greeting / reply... then no reply to text) that he'd not done anything for the past 90+ days (registered late 07 I think, with just (2) feedback) and then to have 40+ items which end from this evening until Monday evening and which, if they were to all sell at current/start prices would yield some £15,500+

I agree with all the sensible observations above (although I've not had time to view all the various items/photos) - but wonder if the 'Collection OK' was maybe a default choice or a double-bluff: I'm not sure how many items sold from such a list might be subject to a personal collection.... (OK - who said ..."who would go to Middlesbrough if they could possibly avoid it ?!!" - I'll see you outside)

As it's a local one, I'll keep track if possible to see what happens.

[b]+ if anybody here was planning to bid (or bidding) on the P bass, I'd be happy to check it out for them if won[/b].

Not sure if any of the BC Community would/should be bidding on the 'other' stuff (!!)

That's a tricky one to call is that one!

I agree that the user profile is such that I'd have my doubts but the pics do seem to tally with one location. If he were offering a single expensive guitar you'd have to be thinking 'If I can't collect I'm not bidding' and the fact that he has offered this option might well have people letting there guard down especially if they thinking they are getting a credit crunch bargain... 'IF' (big if) he is pulling a fast one I suppose he only has to ensnare one or two idiots who either pay by cheque or offer bank transfer and even if he has to dump on all those who want to collect then he's made a killing.

The only genuine way of knowing pre auction end is if the guy allows someone like eubassix to try before they buy. Part of me thinks it may be straight but then I'm close enough that I'd be popping along to collect in person, if I lived the other end of the country I'd be erring on the side of caution and steering clear... shame that P bass wasn't sunburst! :)

Oh well.. it's all-over now, bar the shouting.

2-bids / £631 doesn't seem a lot for what was advertised as an Original 78P .. or is it about right?
maybe others were put-off for/by various reasons/checks.

Interestingly, the winner - Robbosax - is also locally based: he has lots of Sax stuff up on ebay, but none of the sax players I know seem to know him (but then they are not really much involved in ebay).

Most of the 43 items didn't sell - but those that did netted some £6k, with 14 still 'on' and a potential of another £5k (with some already selling/bids). Everything within a week or 10-days, so if it is a scam with PP or other non-cash & collect sales it could be lucrative.

Feedback hasn't changed from (2) + 90-days: although that's understandable with all the sales being so recent.

I'll try to follow-up and reveal all in due course !!

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm.... I'd almost forgotten about this one: looks like he's bothered to complete/sell those which reached a decent (?) price and simply ignored those which didn't.
Surprised re. the Precision though - as this was won by another local (Teesside) ebayer, who might have been able to follow-up more thoroughly.
Can't see him lasting long with this type of behaviour, although he's probably not bothered.