Why become a member? ×

Reuel's bass travel plan. (Shipping has now been paid for!)

Shockwave

[quote name='Clarky' post='340175' date='Nov 29 2008, 12:19 AM']Ah I see you are reading this Jake - simple question, when are you going to pay back the shipping costs that the community has funded on your behalf?[/quote]

Looks like the moment's come & gone (to speak.)

Funny how something that united the community a couple of days ago is tending to split it now, now that the opinions are coming out (said with a touch of exaggeration of course! :) )

[quote name='dlloyd' post='340127' date='Nov 28 2008, 11:14 PM']Is that definitely the case though? Was he deleting old posts? Or were people misinterpreting the fact that when you try to access users' posts through their user profiles they only go back a few weeks?

Debt often goes hand in hand with depressive illness... it can be caused by debt and can lead you into self-destructive behaviour that can cause debt. Having seen what depressive illness can do to people and their ability to function in even the most basic ways (I've spent way too much of my life visiting a close family member on a secure psychiatric ward, and have lost other family members to suicide), I'm just a little worried people are jumping to conclusions too quickly with regards to Jake's perceived 'criminality'.[/quote]

Again,myself,with nothing to hide,know exactly what you are talking about

My Dad suffered from mental illness,mainly through drug taking,probably too hide what he was feeling over the way the world is and what he saw as a serving member of the Royal Marines in Ireland (In the bad times),although I cannot be sure,as I wasn't inside his head and I cannot ask him now as he hung himself,but he sure didn't go around stealing :)

[quote name='thebeat' post='340188' date='Nov 29 2008, 12:36 AM']Ermmm...how else are you supposed to judge someone?...that's like saying that Pol Pot shouldn't be judged too harshly just because he killed so many Cambodians....seems to an awful lot of psuedo philosophers here with very little grounding in reality...wish i was as cuddly and nice as all you nice guys.[/quote]

What I'm saying is people make mistakes. I've made tons of mistakes in my life, and anyone who says that they haven't is either a liar or a saint.

And to be fair, stealing a bass isn't exactly comparable to genocide, is it?

[quote name='Wil' post='340194' date='Nov 29 2008, 12:47 AM']I guess I just don't revel in the hatred of other human beings that I've never met as much as some people! [color="#FF0000"]For all I know this guy might run a kitten sanctuary.[/color][/quote]

What would it matter if he did? You can't judge a persons worth based on their actions, or can you? :) :huh:

[quote name='Wil' post='340202' date='Nov 29 2008, 12:56 AM']And to be fair, stealing a bass isn't exactly comparable to genocide, is it?[/quote]
Stealing a bass is carbon-neutral, or even results in a slightly reduced carbon footprint (as it saves fuel used for shipping).

Genocide reduces the carbon footprint considerably more, as long as it's done in an environmentally friendly way. So from a Green perspective (and it's a Green party member who's just been voted the most ethical MEP in, er, the EP), genocide is better than stealing a bass, quite obviously. I think that puts this matter into proper perspective.

evening folks,

great news about the bass and shipping.

I don't know Jake nor really care what happens to him here but I will say this; it would appear that there is two factions emerging, the we hate Jake and the we forgive you Jake camps. I think we should really be careful and try to drop this as hate is pretty powerful and destructive whilst perhaps sympathy can be seen as equally misplaced and frustrating. WE NEED NOT BE AT ODDS WITH EACH OTHER OVER THIS and yes I'm trying to shout the loudest because this forum has proved in the last couple of days how good it is and as individuals our sense of justice and decency.

We all need to allow the mods to do their job and make a decision regarding Jake in their own time. I'm damn sure it will be well thought out and deliberated on to the point of splitting hairs.

Lets all get on with the good world of basschat.

andy

[quote name='Shockwave' post='339900' date='Nov 28 2008, 05:20 PM']We have setup a fund which has more then enough in it to send the bass to the buyer in the phillipenes, Gman will then mail it to the buyer.[/quote]

Can someone put this at the top of the thread so that people who don't pay attention like me don't put money into a fund that is overflowing? :)

[quote name='Wil' post='340202' date='Nov 29 2008, 12:56 AM']What I'm saying is people make mistakes. I've made tons of mistakes in my life, and anyone who says that they haven't is either a liar or a saint.

And to be fair, stealing a bass isn't exactly comparable to genocide, is it?[/quote]

That was an 'analogy'. People use them to make points and whether you like it or not my point was and still is valid.

I've made a shitload of mistakes in my life and will probably continue to do so, however, i do take responsibility for my actions unlike some wrongdoers who always seem to have some mitigating circumstances to excuse themselves. If i had done something along the lines of what the thief did, not that i would, you wouldn't have to ban me...i'd be too bloody embarrassed to come back here...the fact that the thief isn't speaks volumes about him in my opinion. If he was any sort of man he'd ban himself and save the forum all this acrimony.

As for him possibly being depressed? Well i suffer from chronic clinical depression and i have debts, but i've never felt the need to deceive someone the way this guy has done.

Edited by thebeat

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='340205' date='Nov 29 2008, 02:01 AM']If you don't judge someone by their actions what do you judge them by... their intentions? :)[/quote]

Hey don't ask me, I totally disagree. I was just pulling the leg of a couple of guys who posted it earlier.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='340205' date='Nov 29 2008, 01:01 AM']If you don't judge someone by their actions what do you judge them by... their intentions? :)[/quote]

Something like that. Obviously its not as black and white as my statement, but for the sake of a poor analogy lets imagine a general good egg, lets say a monk, who has never hurt a soul in his entire life, has given all his belongings to the needy, helped the infirm etc etc etc yadda yadda yadda, gives into temptation one day and gets drunk, steals a traffic cone, wears it on his head, then steals an old womans mobility wheelchair and does donuts in the monestary car park.

Is he a good person or scum?

[quote name='dlloyd' post='340212' date='Nov 29 2008, 01:04 AM']It's a f***er, isn't it?

No, neither did my family members (sorry, I won't be any more specific than that)... but I did get to know people who would have ticked more of the boxes than Jake has.[/quote]

Yes mate,it is a "f***er",cried my eyes out,even as a grown man,but hey,that is Life and Death,same Sh*t,different day :)

[quote name='The Funk' post='340210' date='Nov 29 2008, 01:02 AM']Can someone put this at the top of the thread so that people who don't pay attention like me don't put money into a fund that is overflowing? :huh:[/quote]

Surely by paying into a fund that already has enough to cover the costs shows a truly generous altruistic spirit! The excess funds will be used for charity or for a worthy cause I assume... or will the donations be refunded when Jake pays back what he owes?

Actually as a vehement supporter of the intentions behind this saga I am slowly but surely saddened by 'certain' attitudes towards this episode. That is not meant as a slight on The Funk or toward those that have contributed (financially and in effort/time) to Reule getting his bass. :)

[quote name='Wil' post='340216' date='Nov 29 2008, 01:10 AM']Something like that. Obviously its not as black and white as my statement, but for the sake of a poor analogy lets imagine a general good egg, lets say a monk, who has never hurt a soul in his entire life, has given all his belongings to the needy, helped the infirm etc etc etc yadda yadda yadda, gives into temptation one day and gets drunk, steals a traffic cone, wears it on his head, then steals an old womans mobility wheelchair and does donuts in the monestary car park.

Is he a good person or scum?[/quote]

Jesus Christ on a bike...and you had the cheek to question my analogy...

....as long as the monk didn't try to cover up his crime and he didn't have a pile of mobility scooters that he could have sold, but instead decided to hang on to them cos he was a self centred bastard of a monk, to send the old womans mobility scooter back to her, then yes, i would have forgiven him.

Glad to see the bass has made it out of his hands. Just for everyone giving it the "he's 19, he will learn" stuff, to hell with that. I'm not much older, and was a student myself once. I've done loads of buying and selling here and met loads of good guys doing so. I just sold my Spector this week, the nicest bass i have ever played. It's a lot to give up, but not for a second did I think about ripping off the guy who bought it. Being young is no excuse for a lack of moral fibre. Also, with regards to the money, Jake, get a job, grow a pair and give these people back their money. Lord knows they don't work hard to pay for your mistakes. I think throughout this episode you've shown yourself to be a cowardly little cretin, and your "apology" was a last ditch at not getting collared by the law. I hope one day you will really appreciate the grief you have caused.

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='Wil' post='340216' date='Nov 29 2008, 01:10 AM']Something like that. Obviously its not as black and white as my statement, but for the sake of a poor analogy lets imagine a general good egg, lets say a monk, who has never hurt a soul in his entire life, has given all his belongings to the needy, helped the infirm etc etc etc yadda yadda yadda, gives into temptation one day and gets drunk, steals a traffic cone, wears it on his head, then steals an old womans mobility wheelchair and does donuts in the monestary car park.

Is he a good person or scum?[/quote]

Harmless monkey business IMO. :ph34r:

[quote name='andy67' post='340209' date='Nov 29 2008, 01:02 AM']WE NEED NOT BE AT ODDS WITH EACH OTHER OVER THIS and yes I'm trying to shout the loudest because this forum has proved in the last couple of days how good it is and as individuals our sense of justice and decency.[/quote]
I think you're overlooking something quite fundamental here.

This is Basschat. If only one member were to contribute to a topic, he'd be arguing with himself by the fourth post. There is going to be a broad spectrum of opinion, some of it rigidly held, some of it flexible, on any subject, let alone anything as emotive as this. The key point isn't that people shouldn't bicker about what happens, it's that the arguments in this topic and the related ones shouldn't be dragged over to other topics.

[quote name='Danny' post='340226' date='Nov 29 2008, 01:19 AM']Harmless monkey business IMO. :ph34r:[/quote]

Ah ha! But that's where it all gets more complicated. Because in actual fact, the monk was a rapist but we didn't know.

Ah, the mysteries of life!

If my tenner was surplus to requirements could someone pick a Phillippines-based charity or project to donate it to?

I don't see why people are arguing about Jake right now. It doesn't matter why he did it. He did it. Other people came to the rescue and sorted it out. He cooperated. Whether you have any personal interaction with him online in the future is up to you - and so long as it's within the rules of whichever forum and within the law, surely it's a completely personal decision what form that interaction would take.

People who want to cut him some slack, cut him some slack. People who want nothing to do with him, have nothing to do with him. People who want to bollock him, it wasn't your money he wandered off with so it's not directly your business - but it's up to you what you do.

I won't be buying anything from him or posting supportive messages on band/recording feedback threads but I won't be attacking him either.