Why become a member? ×

'73 fretless Jazz WITHDRAWN and '69 fretted Jazz SOLD

Beedster

BEWARE: THIS THREAD STARTS BY SELLING ONE BASS AND ENDS SELLING ANOTHER :huh:

[attachment=16516:f832_1.jpg]

Bought in September last year and heavily played since, this was the Jazz bass that made me fall back in love with fretless playing. Currently strung with TI flats it plays like butter but has a surprising amount of brightness and growl to complement the expected TI tones. Anyway, so happy am I with fretless playing that I'm buying a Wal fretless to celebrate. Seems a bit harsh on this baby but all things considered I can't really justify keeping three fretless basses (my current Precision is also fretless). I paid £1000 back in September. Since then I've had a new nut installed, a setup and the board smoothed by Paul Herman at Chandlers, close to £200 of work.

Details.

Bound rosewood neck. Board is NOT original but neck and binding are. Original baord was most likely maple fretted (thanks to Water of Tyne for doing quite a lot of research on my behalf there). There is a slight flattening of the board at around the 15th fret which, with a very low action, tends to produce perhaps a little more buzz than most players would probably like. However, it's not too noticable at moderate actions and I'm guessing most players don't often get up that high anyway.
Body was originally 3TSB. It was stripped some time ago. This was well done and the finish is even and has aged nicely to what is almost a butterscoth blonde.
All electronics, with the possible exception of the tone pot, are original. The tone pot is definitely the correct period and looks to be original but is, somewhat confusingly, stacked. Apparently, the wrong component creeping into a Fender ain't all that unusual for this era :)
Tuners/bridge, pickguard, strap buttons etc original.
PUP covers likely not original.

Pricewise I'm gonna have to face facts about the economy so £900 ONO.

Tone is outstanding, really. Tryouts chez Beedster welcome.

I'm pretty confident I'm buying the Wal in question but on the very slight chance I don't I will pull this sale, at least for the time being.

Chris

Edited by Beedster

• 2 months later...

Chris

If this was originally a fretted neck plus , as you say , the binding is original - would I be right in thinking the side dots will be in line with where the front markers used to be rather than where the frets would have been??

The finish - the stripping job looks very good but what's there now??

Count me in as a possible. Saddo I may be but WOT's fretless that I noodled on this weekend has turned up in my dreams twice since!!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='412178' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:42 PM']She's very, very bonny...[/quote]

Cheers Michael, and thanks for your help with working out exactly what this bass was and is :P

[quote name='Shockwave' post='412182' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:43 PM']Would love it ;) trades?:)[/quote]

Hey Rob, sorry mate but I have all the basses I need now. If the Wal doesn't work out this will be staying put a while anyway

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='412315' date='Feb 17 2009, 06:28 PM']Chris

If this was originally a fretted neck plus , as you say , the binding is original - would I be right in thinking the side dots will be in line with where the front markers used to be rather than where the frets would have been??

The finish - the stripping job looks very good but what's there now??

Count me in as a possible. Saddo I may be but WOT's fretless that I noodled on this weekend has turned up in my dreams twice since!![/quote]

Hiya Dave, I think the dot markers have been filled and repositioned - they're certainly in line with where the frets would be as opposed to the front markers. I'll check how well done this filling/positioning work was in close up and get back to you. The finish is either the original base layer (what is the correct terms for the layer of lacquer underneath a sunburst finish that goes a lovbely orangy colour with time?) or a similar coat. In real close up there are some signs of sanding so I'm assuming the former.
I can understand your response to WoTs basses, they're pretty impressive.

[quote name='Rumbler' post='412348' date='Feb 17 2009, 07:18 PM'].. interested!![/quote]

PM replied

[quote name='mrbassman_de' post='412370' date='Feb 17 2009, 07:42 PM']PM'd[/quote]

PM replied

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='412315' date='Feb 17 2009, 06:28 PM']If this was originally a fretted neck plus , as you say , the binding is original - would I be right in thinking the side dots will be in line with where the front markers used to be rather than where the frets would have been??[/quote]

Morning Doc. There is no evidence of markers on the binding ever having been between frets. On that basis it's likely that the binding isn't original. It is however, extremely old as it has faded with the lacquer on the neck & the fine lines in the neck varnish associated with a bass of this age also run onto the binding. All things said, I think it's best to assume that the binding is NOT original, although it's certainly nicely aged in keeping with the bass in general.
Hope that helps
Chris

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='412929' date='Feb 18 2009, 12:24 PM']Stunning bass, amazing price (especially compared with some of the other vintage fenders on the forum).[/quote]
+1. There's some craziness going on in that regard at the moment.

I'm trying to picture this bass in sunburst. It's not doing my GAS any good.

[quote name='Beedster' post='412699' date='Feb 18 2009, 08:14 AM']Morning Doc. There is no evidence of markers on the binding ever having been between frets. On that basis it's likely that the binding isn't original. It is however, extremely old as it has faded with the lacquer on the neck & the fine lines in the neck varnish associated with a bass of this age also run onto the binding. All things said, I think it's best to assume that the binding is NOT original, although it's certainly nicely aged in keeping with the bass in general.
Hope that helps
Chris[/quote]

Hi Chris, to add my 2p. This fretless 'mod' was very popular in the later 70s (listen to pretty much any soundtracks from the time and that hollow fretless sound was in abundance), and the only way many luthiers did it was by lifting the whole board off, including the binding. If you look at the construction of a bound jazz neck, it's pretty much impossible not to.

The only way would have been to have lifted the board (with binding) and then take the binding off and then shape a board which would fit perfectly this binding. Basically, time consuming, expensive and unnecessary!

I always think of these lovely marked boards slumped in a corner somewhere (especially as I've paid a decent amount for hand cut pearl inlays), but that's the 70s *spit*.

In conclusion, it's going to be changed, hence the side dots *should* give you a decent indication of where the notes are. But unless done with expert precision, don't go with them, you become a master of fretless by using your ears not the side markers!

Lovely looking bass by the way, very similar to a 'parts' jazzer I had in the past, and seemingly well priced to, so good luck with the sale.

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='412929' date='Feb 18 2009, 12:24 PM']Stunning bass, amazing price (especially compared with some of the other vintage fenders on the forum).[/quote]

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='412940' date='Feb 18 2009, 12:28 PM']+1. There's some craziness going on in that regard at the moment.[/quote]

I think the economic climate is forcing a lot of people to sell basses they've had a while and about which they have a vastly inflated opinion of their value. On top of this the usual suspects seem to be putting up their prices to keep pace!

[quote name='Jebo1' post='413068' date='Feb 18 2009, 02:06 PM']Hi Chris, to add my 2p. This fretless 'mod' was very popular in the later 70s (listen to pretty much any soundtracks from the time and that hollow fretless sound was in abundance), and the only way many luthiers did it was by lifting the whole board off, including the binding. If you look at the construction of a bound jazz neck, it's pretty much impossible not to.

The only way would have been to have lifted the board (with binding) and then take the binding off and then shape a board which would fit perfectly this binding. Basically, time consuming, expensive and unnecessary!

I always think of these lovely marked boards slumped in a corner somewhere (especially as I've paid a decent amount for hand cut pearl inlays), but that's the 70s *spit*.

In conclusion, it's going to be changed, hence the side dots *should* give you a decent indication of where the notes are. But unless done with expert precision, don't go with them, you become a master of fretless by using your ears not the side markers!

Lovely looking bass by the way, very similar to a 'parts' jazzer I had in the past, and seemingly well priced to, so good luck with the sale.[/quote]

Thanks Lawrie, I think you're spot on, the Jaco Effect eh! Looking at the age of the binding it's tempting tio think that if it isn't original the mod was done a few months after the bass was built. The dots are actually spot on (at least to my ear) but point taken re fretless intonation being and ear thing and not an eye thing.

This is on hold pending both my Wal acquisition and the buyer's due diligence! TBH I played it last night with some roundwounds and it sounded so good, and so different to my fretless Precision, that I really don't want to sell it any more! Still, a Wal has been my dream fretless ever since I first heard Karn playing one in the late 70's, and over and above this I think it's going to be more my fretless sound anyway, but still a tough decision ;)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the sale falls through I'm not going to lose any sleep, although ironically if the sale falls through and Mrs Beedster gets wind of 2K's worth of Wal coming in with nothing going out, I'm unlikely to have a bed in which to lose any sleep in :P