Why become a member? ×

'73 fretless Jazz WITHDRAWN and '69 fretted Jazz SOLD

Beedster

[quote name='bremen' post='414066' date='Feb 19 2009, 11:39 AM']Apostate!

;-)

edit: oops, posted this before getting to the end of the thread. Looks like you're sticking with the One True Path after all.[/quote]

...and looks like I replied before your edit ;)

[quote name='Beedster' post='414117' date='Feb 19 2009, 12:23 PM']Come on Chris, do you really think I was serious ;)[/quote]

<blush>

I wouldn't like you to think I was someone who checked when I was told that the word 'gullible' isn't in the dictionary. Or forwarded an email to everyone in my address book because Bill Gates is promising me $1 to every forwarded email.

Anyway, Fender. Pah. Nothing but a Warmoth with a slacker neck pocket ;-)

[quote name='bremen' post='414125' date='Feb 19 2009, 12:29 PM']<blush>

I wouldn't like you to think I was someone who checked when I was told that the word 'gullible' isn't in the dictionary. Or forwarded an email to everyone in my address book because Bill Gates is promising me $1 to every forwarded email.

Anyway, Fender. Pah. Nothing but a Warmoth with a slacker neck pocket ;-)[/quote]

LOL, I was going to say that Wal's don't look sufficiently agricultural to have been designed by LF. Actually I did say it didn't I!

The Wal will be the first non-LF bass I've owned seriously in several years (and by 'seriously' I mean one I haven't just bought because it was cheap and interesting e.g., various Shergolds, Statii, Ibanezes, Bass Collections etc - I don't include the Flea Bass as it's a Stingray after all so really a LF design :P ). I do feel like I'm turning to the dark side (active electronics, posh woods/slight boutique feel, 2-a-side tuners). However, I've dreamed of being a) a good enough fretless player to justify a Wal; b ) having enough money to buy a Wal; and c) being in a place musically where a Wal would fit with the projects I'm involved in, and all of a sudden all three criteria seem to have been met (I'm not sure about a) but I'm certanly a much improved fretless player, largely because I fell so in love with the Jazz above that I've played pretty much nothing but fretless for 5 months). So, yes, sorry Leo old mate, certainly not moving on from your work but exploring other options ;)

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='414153' date='Feb 19 2009, 12:47 PM']LOL, I was going to say that Wal's don't look sufficiently agricultural to have been designed by LF. Actually I did say it didn't I!

The Wal will be the first non-LF bass I've owned seriously in several years (and by 'seriously' I mean one I haven't just bought because it was cheap and interesting e.g., various Shergolds, Statii, Ibanezes, Bass Collections etc - I don't include the Flea Bass as it's a Stingray after all so really a LF design :) ). I do feel like I'm turning to the dark side (active electronics, posh woods/slight boutique feel, 2-a-side tuners). However, I've dreamed of being a) a good enough fretless player to justify a Wal; b ) having enough money to buy a Wal; and c) being in a place musically where a Wal would fit with the projects I'm involved in, and all of a sudden all three criteria seem to have been met (I'm not sure about a) but I'm certanly a much improved fretless player, largely because I fell so in love with the Jazz above that I've played pretty much nothing but fretless for 5 months). So, yes, sorry Leo old mate, certainly not moving on from your work but exploring other options ;)[/quote]

In fact, if the provisional buyer doesn't buy this I'm seriously considering keeping it and selling the '69 Jazz, which is a) fretted, and b ) too lovely and light to even risk gigging (I'm liking bullet-point lists today as you can see) :P

Edited by Beedster

OK, this is now available again. I've had a few PMs on it but, having given it some thought, I'd prefer not to have to send it overseas or enter into any potentially complicated handovers to third parties in the UK on behalf of an overseas buyer. Sorry folks, I know the Euro/£ rate makes this an out of sight bargain if you're in continental Europe, but c'est la vie ;)

Well I saw Birdy's post and though 'that's exactly where I am, need to sell one bass but not really sure which one'. So, it's either the fretless above or the fretted here (link here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35726&hl=)"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35726&hl=)[/url]. The latter is everything you'd expect it to be really, I'll give a proper account of it when I have more time later this evening. Paid £1850 or thereabouts so I'd like £1850 or thereabouts back ;)

If one sells I'll withdraw the other - thanks for the idea Steve!

Chris

Seriously though Chris, it's an odd feeling when you find 'the one'. I guess you're going through a series of one night stands, but maybe invest in a more longer term relationship.

But when you've found the one, you'll know. Here's hoping the Wal is going to be the one and you can leave the sale pages alone :-)
When I found the 66' I realised I'd never play another bass, and I haven't - although it did cost me somewhere around £3,500.

I checked my bank balance last night for the fretless, but alas I can't. Tip, never own a Land Rover.

[quote name='Jebo1' post='415011' date='Feb 20 2009, 09:03 AM']Seriously though Chris, it's an odd feeling when you find 'the one'. I guess you're going through a series of one night stands, but maybe invest in a more longer term relationship.

But when you've found the one, you'll know. Here's hoping the Wal is going to be the one and you can leave the sale pages alone :-)
When I found the 66' I realised I'd never play another bass, and I haven't - although it did cost me somewhere around £3,500.

I checked my bank balance last night for the fretless, but alas I can't. Tip, never own a Land Rover.[/quote]

LOL, not sure I believe in the concept of 'the one' Lawrie. I doubt the Wal will warrant the title any more than any other basses I've owned. I seem to be leaning more towards fretless now hence my not really playing the '69 much. Andy's right, I'll never get another 40 year old bass at the price he kindly sold it to me for, but it's likely to end up being a 40 year old piece of furniture way things are at the moment.

BTW, I'm sure you offered you '66 for sale a while back ;)

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='415012' date='Feb 20 2009, 09:05 AM']Dont do it Chris, youll never find another early Jazz as cheap as I sold it to you going by some prices on here lately. I'll have her back on loan if you want to make room.[/quote]

Cheers Andy, point taken. It's a stunning bass but it's not getting played. I bought it on the basis of having really grown to like the fretless Jazz and assumed that it would get an equal amount of play time. Somewhat surprisingly however, over the months my fretless playing has improved to the point where I can play pretty much everything I need to play on the '73 and I just prefer the fretless tone and the challenge of playing without frets. The 69's a lovely thing to own and gets loads of attention, but I think the money would be better invested in a bass I'm going to use regularly.

Anyway, now on the bay (used your pics Andy, hope you don't mind)

Chris

Edited by Beedster

Going........
Couple of offers on the ebay auction, so if anyone on here wants this, shout soon. As Andy says above, it's a rare opportunity to get a 60's Fender for less than £2000. If no-one here wants it, it's likely off to Denmark ;)

[quote name='Beedster' post='415048' date='Feb 20 2009, 09:59 AM']LOL, not sure I believe in the concept of 'the one' Lawrie. I doubt the Wal will warrant the title any more than any other basses I've owned. I seem to be leaning more towards fretless now hence my not really playing the '69 much. Andy's right, I'll never get another 40 year old bass at the price he kindly sold it to me for, but it's likely to end up being a 40 year old piece of furniture way things are at the moment.

BTW, I'm sure you offered you '66 for sale a while back ;)[/quote]

Well, I don't believe it for women, but basses, I'll go with it. Look at our celebrtiy bass players, I remember talking to Norman Wattroy about his 62" Jazz and that was 'the one' for him.

But, a bass is still a plank of wood and keeping my house was more important at the time I have to say than the one! But I've got a new job now, so she's secure... Inheritance for the kids that.

Good luck buddy, and the Wal's are great basses. I found my couple too heavy, and uncomfortable for live work, and the baseball bat necks too thick. But what do I know?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='415970' date='Feb 21 2009, 09:05 AM']The bass is off eBay, I take it that it has a new home! ;)[/quote]

Hi John, yep, bought this morning. It was always going to go to Europe given the exchange rate I guess.

[quote name='Jebo1' post='415976' date='Feb 21 2009, 09:11 AM']Well, I don't believe it for women, but basses, I'll go with it. Look at our celebrtiy bass players, I remember talking to Norman Wattroy about his 62" Jazz and that was 'the one' for him.

But, a bass is still a plank of wood and keeping my house was more important at the time I have to say than the one! But I've got a new job now, so she's secure... Inheritance for the kids that.

Good luck buddy, and the Wal's are great basses. I found my couple too heavy, and uncomfortable for live work, and the baseball bat necks too thick. But what do I know?[/quote]

Agreed, didn't want to bring the W word into my original response as it can open a can or worms (especially if Mrs Beedster reads it). G;ad you still have the '66 Lawrie. I'll keep you posted on the Wal
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='416034' date='Feb 21 2009, 10:55 AM']'69 sold. '73 fretless will stay or go depending on how i get on with the Wal (although there are two buyers lined up).
Chris[/quote]

<Owen walks back through to the sitting room whispering a quiet "phew" and putting his cheque book away>

• 2 weeks later...

'73 Fretless now definitely for sale (Wal has somewhat reduced the need for both fretless Jazz and fretless Precision so I'm keeping the latter). A couple of guys have first dibs but I'm happy to take other offers if thiose don't come through. Trade-wise I'd consider a Markbass Traveller 110 or 115 plus cash or an EUB.
Can be collected from Milton Keynes or Canterbury or we can meet somewhere mutually agreeable
Chris