Why become a member? ×

Selling via Reverb: any experience/opinions to share?

Beedster

Folks

I've frankly had it with eBay and PayPal following a lengthy battle to get them to sort out a situation between me and a really quite untrustworthy and unpleasant buyer. I won't go into details, but they're here if you'd like to see more

Problem is that this has come at a point in time when I need to offload a lot of music gear to cover the overspend on a recent build at our house. So, a guy who was going to buy one of my guitars through eBay suggested that I re-list the gear on Reverb.

I used Reverb once - as a buyer - and it wasn't a great experience to be honest. So, has anyone here used it as a seller, and has anything to say to either encourage or discourage me from selling gear there. I'm especially thinking in terms of getting paid to be honest; it all looks too good to be true, and my worry is that I will face just the same set of problems I've faced with eBay/PayPal, but with a platform that, as far as I can tell, links directly to my bank, which thank God, PayPal didn't!

Thoughts, experience, comments most welcome

Cheers

Chris 

Edited by Beedster

Sorry to hear about those EvilBay problems, Chris.. Fingers crossed that it gets sorted out for you eventually.

I've never bought or sold on Reverb so can't comment from experience specifically, but I imagine there's potential problems there particularly with international transactions. 

Basschat is still the place where I prefer to sell gear, but the market is so incredibly slow at the moment.

I’ve had a lot of success using Facebook. There’s usually a sales group for a specific item, effects pedals there are a few, there’s a couple of good bass guitar ones, a great synth one.

Obviously there’s gumtree too which I’ve had luck with.

I sold a guitar on reverb recently. The offer / counter-offer thing works pretty well, and although it went for less than the asking price, the lower selling fee made it a good alternative to eBay. That is somewhat anecdotal as it's my only experience, but it doesn't hurt to list it on multiple sites.

46 minutes ago, ambient said:

I’ve had a lot of success using Facebook. There’s usually a sales group for a specific item, effects pedals there are a few, there’s a couple of good bass guitar ones, a great synth one.

Obviously there’s gumtree too which I’ve had luck with.

There is a bass kit section, I have not had much success on it but some stuff sells. Prices need to be keen to get any interest in my experience on there.