Why become a member? ×

New Wingbass

Grantd

13 hours ago, CameronJ said:

The split pickup is mainly aimed toward my collection of analog octavers. I may even put some Labella Black Nylon Tapes on it too. Honestly, the difference in tracking stability between my Sandberg VS4 (p-type) and my MTD Super 5 is pretty massive. All of my octavers track the Sandy like bloodhounds whereas the Super 5 is much more prone to glitching. I’m a little surprised they’ve never done a split P Wingbass before given how perfect they are for us bassists who are octave junkies.

You may have a good point re: reversing the pups - although the fact it’s tuned an octave up could mean it won’t make a blind bit of difference? I.e. it’s not much different to me just playing my Sandberg P high up the fretboard? If it were something like a Kala Ubass California (massively cut down scale but still tuned at normal bass pitch) I suspect there’d be a more vast difference to be found between standard and reverse orientation. Still, definitely worth investigating...

A concern i have is that because I’m going for a slightly extended scale compared to the standard Wingbass format, Andy won’t be able to provide me with a gigbag that fits and I’ll be in the lurch attempting to fashion something myself or have it swimming in a guitar bag. Another thing to think about! O.o 9_9

Do you think a violin or a ukulele case might do the job? I'm sure I've seen a swanky Mono uke bag around somewhere... 

47 minutes ago, Ceebass said:

Do you think a violin or a ukulele case might do the job? I'm sure I've seen a swanky Mono uke bag around somewhere... 

I think the sticking point in my case is that I’m going for the newer body shape which has an upper horn and looks to be wider overall at the widest point than the “original” Wingbass shape. See below:

811EB7FA-12EE-4804-889E-09E348B37937.thumb.jpeg.9f7d05151a6cfe5aab5f2e9362effa91.jpeg

I’ll obviously need to check with Andy himself for the actual dimensions but my instincts tell me I’d better look elsewhere. The overall length would be fine but that 9.5” to 7” body taper looks like it’ll be on the wrong side of snug:

4E413A63-9A8D-4D99-AA0B-E90989CE26EF.jpeg.6260fb441b74c3eeae56cfff12011dda.jpeg

25 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I’ll obviously need to check with Andy himself for the actual dimensions but my instincts tell me I’d better look elsewhere.

Another possibility;  a gig bag for a half or three quarter size classical guitar.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Anyone got any good videos of these in action?

I put one here somewhere. Not necessarily a ‘good’ video but at least you can hear it properly (sound direct into computer)

Search for Wingbass demo

ah here it is

• Like 1

Here’s a couple I found the other day by a guy called Reznoc. His wing is definitely non-standard! Has the full body (with lower horn) of the Wingbass 30, and extended fretboard similar to what I’ve spec’d and dual pups but still, hopefully a useful demo of what these are capable of. Excuse the Christmas theme - he seems to have uploaded a ton of festive cover videos 😅

36 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Excuse the Christmas theme

No.  Never.  There is no call for reminding us of that holiday in May.

Go sit on some Holly then go and wait under some Mistletoe until someone kisses it better for you.

Heeheehee.  I remember being cheesed off at having to learn a Christmas set for the choir.  I shouldn't have taken against the idea at all.  I ended up learning a lot about the delivery of songs I thought I knew already.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Usually it's about 25% all in. The Vat is applied to the item cost AND the shipping cost, and there's a small element of import tax as well (about 3% IIRC)

And the criminal ‘handling charge’

5 hours ago, ped said:

I put one here somewhere. Not necessarily a ‘good’ video but at least you can hear it properly (sound direct into computer)

Search for Wingbass demo

ah here it is

I love that. I thought the synths were ace.

My GAS is engorged again.

17 minutes ago, ped said:

I don't mind that. The alternative is doing the HMRC paper work manually yourself and getting lost in millions of individual paper applications per day, and it taking HMRC more than a month to send you the calculated vat so then you can pay, and then another month before the holding storage is authorised to release it to you.

It would be hideous.

11 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Usually it's about 25% all in. The Vat is applied to the item cost AND the shipping cost, and there's a small element of import tax as well (about 3% IIRC)

11 hours ago, ped said:

I’m sobbing myself to sleep this eve.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I love that. I thought the synths were ace.

My GAS is engorged again.

Thanks! I wanted to try doing recording and syncing the video with audio, which I haven't done before. I'll try and do a better one at some stage because I learned a lot from making that one! I also demonstrated only a few patches on the unit so will perhaps rehearse and plan a more 'professional' vid one weekend!!

As you can see/hear, although my initial assumption would be that this bass would be a bit of a travel bass which I'd always use with an octave, it has become a superb sounding and playing bass in it's own right, and I only occasionally use it with an octave; and when I do, it has a really sweet synthy sound that works really well in a mix (which I'll try and demonstrate next time, too!!)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CameronJ said:

I’m sobbing myself to sleep this eve.

Last time I imported a bass from the states I wasn't charged a penny, until over  ayers later a letter arrived from TNT with a demand for payment (it was still their first letter). If I had the foresight to move house in the interim I don't know what they'd have done... so there's that!!! Specify TNT and get your affairs in order!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ped said:

Last time I imported a bass from the states I wasn't charged a penny, until over  ayers later a letter arrived from TNT with a demand for payment (it was still their first letter). If I had the foresight to move house in the interim I don't know what they'd have done... so there's that!!! Specify TNT and get your affairs in order!!

My mate was caught with that when he wanted something from the 'States.

He'd got all the address details and delivery charges sorted out and something made him check.  When he found out about an additional charge from PP he binned the transaction.  He will not buy from North America any more because of the undisclosed additional charges.

I bought a bass kit from Australia and was informed on the vendor's webpage of the additional import charges before I committed.  In this case I was happy to accept having been given opportunity to consider.  Good.

Had I only found out while the goods were being held at customs I would have taken it as customs holding my goods hostage.  Not good.

Additional charges should be made clear at the point of sale in my opinion.  It is the world wide web after all.  No-one can really fall back on the lame excuse that because they are exporting they can't say what additional charges will be applied.  Brexit or no Brexit it makes no difference.  If a website can give you prices in your own currency there is no excuse for leaving out the import charge.

Whoops.  Pardon me for the rant.

Thanks for the clip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Re: my gigbag issue, I’ve found something which *might* work:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_urban_mini_strat_gig_bag_bk.htm

will need to check dimensions to be certain but it looks like a strong contender. I’ll be wanting to make that F****r logo disappear.

I thought I saw Andy had made a gig bag for the NT shape bass? Mine is kind of a cream colour and fits the Classic Wing perfectly, but I think the new ones are black and they fit both shapes.

5 hours ago, ped said:

I thought I saw Andy had made a gig bag for the NT shape bass? Mine is kind of a cream colour and fits the Classic Wing perfectly, but I think the new ones are black and they fit both shapes.

He has, but I’ve asked for the slightly extended scale which is where the problem lies. I may end up sacking off the extended scale option if finding something suitable proves more hassle than it’s worth!

50 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

He has, but I’ve asked for the slightly extended scale which is where the problem lies. I may end up sacking off the extended scale option if finding something suitable proves more hassle than it’s worth!

Ah right sorry yeah forgot that. Yes, I’d go with half scale for the main convenience of using standard strings and the fact that it sounds amazing!

1 minute ago, ped said:

Ah right sorry yeah forgot that. Yes, I’d go with half scale for the main convenience of using standard strings and the fact that it sounds amazing!

Indeed. The ability to use standard strings is huge for me. Opens up a whole world of possibilities and just generally makes life easier. Really can’t be arsed having to source a specific type of custom string!

• Like 1