Why become a member? ×

ON HOLD - Marleaux Consat Sopran 4 string soprano bass - 22.5" scale £775
£775

three

A beautiful Marleaux Sopran bass in fantastic, almost mint condition.  These are really quite rare and quite special.  Tuned an octave up from standard, there's a beautiful piano like quality to each note (a characteristic that extends to chordal work).  Can be used with an octave pedal to achieve standard bass tones (though works best with a high quality unit - Eventide etc.)  I discovered these last year and now have two - this is overkill, of course, so this one (with by far the best finish and and least signs of use) is up for grabs.  Build quality is stunning - everything you'd expect of a custom hand-built from Marleaux.  Some specs (taken from the Marleaux site):

• 3 piece maple neck - 4 string - separated with Wenge.
  • 6 point bolt-on neck
  • matching headstock
  • rosewood fretboard with 24 frets, 57 cm (22.44") scale.
  • Burl poplar top (gorgeous figuring) on two piece figured walnut body with ergonomic shaping
  • passive
  • single humbucker from Delano
  • black from ETS/Schaller
  • Strap locks

Neck measurement

• Scale:       570 mm / 22.44"
  • Nut:         40 mm / 1.57"
  • 12. fret:   50 mm / 1.97"
  • 24. fret:   55 mm / 2.17"
  • Bridge:     54 mm (2.13")  / 18 mm (0.71") each string

Excellent condition with only very minor playwear - essentially (a) a couple of tiny indentations on the rear bottom of the bass near the side jack socket - it wasn't possible to photograph these - there really are small, and (b) some string-end scrapes on the headstock from re-stringing (there when I bought the bass).  I've had this for around 9 months and imported it last year at a total cost of £930.  It's been a revelation but I don't need two and I'm going to take a big hit on this - so no offers or trades please (I do feel that £775 is very cheap for an instrument of such quality).

I've re-strung with D'Addario baritone strings.  These are cheap and OK but don't have the same fundamental and complexity as the specially made strings for this bass (the original set is included in the sale).  New strings are available via Thoman for around £20.

Incredibly good fun, light and extremely easy to play.  This had me playing things that I wouldn't normally contemplate (and enjoying it) within an hour - quite addictive really and so easy to carry around.  The original, dedicated gig bag (Warwick Rockbass with Marleaux branding) is included in the sale, as are the hex keys.  I don't have the original paperwork/receipts etc.  Take a look at http://marleaux-bass.com/marleaux-bass_consat_sopran.html for further details.

The bass can be collected in Manchester of Birmingham, or I can ship to EC countries (it's a rosewood board so I don't want to fall foul of CITES).  Any questions, please just ask.

M6.jpg

M1.jpg

M2.jpg

M3.jpg

M4.jpg

M5.jpg

M7.jpg

M8.jpg

Edited by three
title change
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think someone did post on items wanted section that he’s looking for a short scale bass. I’d say it doesn’t get any better than this, and the price is really not representing what gems these are. 

I tried a few Marleaux basses at the bass show last month and I was amazed with the playability and their preamps, I’ve had a lot of different basses throughout 20 years of playing for a living and nothing has ever felt better than these. Bump! 

Thank you very much all - much appreciated. Unusual but lovely instruments. I should say that at pitch, the string tension is a little higher than on standard scale basses. That said, I have this tuned D G C F so the tension is more than comfortable (I play 30-90 gauge on 34" basses) and it suits much of the music I play - I frequently work with a soprano guitar player. Incredibly easy to play and very good fun!

Edited by three

Thanks all for the very lovely comments and PMs.  The bass remains available - I'd prefer UK collect/delivery or shipping (ease and safety) though I can ship, very well-packed, to Europe if necessary