Why become a member? ×

Help me choose a pedal board please

stewblack

I've always had a love hate relationship with pedals. I  GAS for them, buy them, trip over them and sell them on. Never really bothered to spend time learning how best to use them. Lately I've been accumulating pedals for the sound requirements of the different bands I'm in and they're cluttering my bits box so I think I need a pedal board.

I'd also like it to be in a hard case and I suspect I'll need a decent power supply too. I suppose really I'm asking for recommendations for everything except the pedals. I have two basic boss sized pedals one fatter one and a zoom b1 so I don't need anything enormous but it's probably wise to assume I'll add a couple more. Oh best leads to link them all too. Is that a job for OBBM? Thanks folks.

I would look at the Pedaltrain Nano/Metro series. They have a planner app on their site to help your work out which model will be the right fit. Then if you want a flexible power supply that will fit underneath then you'll be after a Cioks DC5 (sold by HotRox) or a Onespot CS6 (Andertons currently cheapest).

For cables I would recommend a solderless kit like Evidence Audio SIS or Tightrope for their ultra low profile plugs and the ability to change lengths as your board evolves.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I would look at the Pedaltrain Nano/Metro series. They have a planner app on their site to help your work out which model will be the right fit. Then if you want a flexible power supply that will fit underneath then you'll be after a Cioks DC5 (sold by HotRox) or a Onespot CS6 (Andertons currently cheapest).

For cables I would recommend a solderless kit like Evidence Audio SIS or Tightrope for their ultra low profile plugs and the ability to change lengths as your board evolves.

That is a fantastic response, thank you. Any ideas about flight cases?

I have the Nano and it's great ... so long as you really, really mean to restrict yourself to four or five pedals, or if you're happy routinely re-building/re-configuring your board between gigs.

If you can't be sure about that, you'll need something bigger.

Power supply? Easy ... check out the Diago Powerstation. Great product, and it's British, and they do excellent customer service & backup.

Flight cases seem like a great idea until you have to lug one in and out of gigs. The flightcase will routinely weigh four or five times as much as the fully-loaded board. The empty flightcase is also a bloody nuisance at gigs.

There are some very good pedal board + protective cover things out there, and the pedals themselves only really need protection from rain ... they're designed to be stamped on!

22 hours ago, stewblack said:

That is a fantastic response, thank you. Any ideas about flight cases?

The nano line only comes with soft cases, but the rest of the range have a hard case option. The hard cases are very high quality too. I think the Metro 16 is the smallest one that comes with a hard case.

I bought a Boss BCB60 pedal board - it comes with a power supply , connecting lead and a selection of patch cables to connect the pedals together.  The first pedal I have in my set-up is a Boss LS-2 line selector which has a power IN and a power OUT socket - fortunately the BCB60 has 7 extensions on the power lead so that works fine. I am very pleased with it. Good luck with whatever you buy.

Edited by milford59

11 minutes ago, milford59 said:

I bought a Boss BCB60 pedal board - it comes with a power supply , connecting lead and a selection of patch cables to connect the pedals together.  The first pedal I have in my set-up is a Boss LS-2 line selector which has a power IN and a power OUT socket - fortunately the BCB60 has 7 extensions on the power lead so that works fine. I am very pleased with it. Good luck with whatever you buy.

Thank you, I shall definitely have a look at that too.

On 20/03/2018 at 07:26, Happy Jack said:

I have the Nano and it's great ... so long as you really, really mean to restrict yourself to four or five pedals, or if you're happy routinely re-building/re-configuring your board between gigs.

If you can't be sure about that, you'll need something bigger.

Power supply? Easy ... check out the Diago Powerstation. Great product, and it's British, and they do excellent customer service & backup.

Flight cases seem like a great idea until you have to lug one in and out of gigs. The flightcase will routinely weigh four or five times as much as the fully-loaded board. The empty flightcase is also a bloody nuisance at gigs.

There are some very good pedal board + protective cover things out there, and the pedals themselves only really need protection from rain ... they're designed to be stamped on!

Hi Jack. The Diago is available on Amazon but the site says it's Chinese rather than British. Their mistake?

On 20/03/2018 at 06:47, dannybuoy said:

+1 - Danny has pretty much nailed it.

I recently moved from a Nano+ with a soft case (and powered by a Ciocks DC5) to a Metro 24 with a hard case. I'm actually using a MXR IsoBrick (which sits on top rather than being able to fit underneath, but is only the size of one pedal) as the OneSpot CS6 wasn't quite enough for my needs in terms of power draw, otherwise that would have been my first choice.

This is what it looks like 'fully loaded':

Pedal Board - Gigging II (March 2018).JPG

Edited by Al Krow

• 2 weeks later...

You can go cheaper without going lower quality. Thomann now offers it's take on the Pedaltrain, it's branded Harley Benton Spaceship. they have diferent sizes, the boards come with gigbags included and they make bundles with PSUs.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/cases_for_guitar_effects_guitars.html?sw=harley benton spaceship
They also have them with hard cases. Just got one for myself and it looks and feels well made and roadworthy.

• Like 1

I'd be curious to see the Harley Benton in the flesh,as it looks as good as the pedaltrain and certainly the soft case looks better. I love the adjustable back legs. I've been looking at getting a Metro 24 with a hard case to replace my Metro 20 and these look great.

To the OP as per Dannybouy  the Metro 16 with a hard case may be what you are looking for :)

On 07/04/2018 at 16:54, lee650 said:

I'd be curious to see the Harley Benton in the flesh,as it looks as good as the pedaltrain and certainly the soft case looks better.

(...)

I had pedaltrain in my hands a couple of times and own the HB so i can safely assure you that there's almost any difference in quality appart from the logo silkscreened in the side (and the spaceship logo looks cooler in my eyes hehehe). The gig bag is indeed very nice and feels roadworthy. Buy with confidence.