Why become a member? ×

TC Electronics Spectradrive.

dave_bass5

27 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Just discovered - courtesy of the Talkbass thread - that the Aux input only goes to the headphone out and not the main outs. That’s a pretty large nail in the SpectraDrive’s coffin I’m afraid!

I wonder what the thinking was behind that decision? Surely they don't see these as being the central part of a cheap "more me" IEM system?

They're not the only such device to be configured this way. The rather awesome 3 Leaf Enabler was the same. I wonder what the current Darkglass Ultra offerings with cab sim and headphone out do?

EDIT: Darkglass don't have an AUX in... genius...

Edited by Bigwan

11 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

I wonder what the thinking was behind that decision? Surely they don't see these as being the central part of a cheap "more me" IEM system?

They're not the only such device to be configured this way. The rather awesome 3 Leaf Enabler was the same. I wonder what the current Darkglass Ultra offerings with cab sim and headphone out do?

EDIT: Darkglass don't have an AUX in... genius...

The DG implementation does seem even more pointless to me, but both DG and TCE seem to tout the headphone out for private practice, which i guess both do well (the SD more so IMO), but none are as versatile as even something like the cheap Zoom's for recording.

So in summary, if I've read your feedback correctly, Dave:

The comp is fine - but no more than you can get in the much smaller / cheaper Spectracomp

The drive sucks - nothing like as good as the SA Aftershock 

The EQ doesn't add anything much in terms of colour in the way you get / really liked from your BDDI

The headphone out (which you're only going to be using at home anyway) doesn't have the B3n's depth

The aux in can only be heard via the headphone (unlike the B3n)

It costs like £185

...not sure how many folk are going to be getting this unit (certainly new)?

Edited by Al Krow

34 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So in summary, if I've read your feedback correctly, Dave:

The comp is fine - but no more than you can get in the much smaller / cheaper Spectracomp

The drive sucks - nothing like as good as the SA Aftershock 

The EQ doesn't add anything much in terms of colour in the way you get / really liked from your BDDI

The headphone out (which you're only going to be using at home anyway) doesn't have the B3n's depth

The aux in can only be heard via the headphone (unlike the B3n)

It costs like £185

...not sure how many folk are going to be getting this unit (certainly new)?

Not quite.

The comp is the same, but allows me to still have in on my board along with something that gives me more EQ options, and a second mild OD (once i get to grips with it),

The drive doesn't suck, its just that so far ive not found the right setting. Compared to my AS yes, its not as good, but the idea isnt to replace the AS, its to work with it. I now have two dirt boxes on my board. one for very light drive, and one for proper dirt.

Agree that the EQ doesn't add any colouration, but then i have the AS for that. Nothing really does BDDI other than the BDDI and BDI-21. I was never going to try and replace that. I do now have better EQ than any time before, other than the Q/strip. the SD does replace the Q/strip as far as offering me EQ that i can actually use without colouration. im very happy with the EQ, and it seems be based around freq's that work for me and i can get just as much usable (for me) variation from it as i can the Q/strip.

The headphone out doesn't have any digital processing like room ambience, mic placement, etc. That was obviously going to result in a flatter tone. When i use my B3n with my pedal board i dont have any amp or cab sim on the B3n anyway. I just use it in bypass mode most of the time. This means no EQ unless its on the board. Although i cant get the headphone  tones i can from the B3n, the output from the SD's headphone jack seems more solid.

Never used the Aux in and line outs on the B3n at the same time. The only time ii would ever use the Aux in is to play with headphones.

I wouldn't use my B3n live, i just cant get on with the foot switches. Its over kill and if it didnt fit on my board, id have to get a much larger one. The SD fits, brings a lot of what i want to the board, and really does sound good, even without the colouring i was used to.

I love how less complicated the SD is over the B3n. Its much more immediate. Proper knobs, no level issues between patches etc. It has a XLR out, the Aux in sounds less processed, its smaller, it fits on my board when i need it to without me needing a larger board, fits in the front pocket of my gig bag if i only want to use that one pedal (which is what ill be doing tonight when i go to a mates house with it), and honestly, all that is worth £185 to me.

Its a jack of a few trades, and in no way master of anything, but it fits the billl for me.

Didnt you just buy an expensive Comp to replace a much cheaper, but more than usable one. Not many people fork out that much for a comp ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Didn't you just buy an expensive Comp to replace a much cheaper, but more than usable one. Not many people fork out that much for a comp ;-)

Cheeky! If I recall correctly, the comp in question I bought from no other than a certain demure dave_bass5 (who bought the thing new and sold it on to me after 3 months)? And a lot of folk rate the Cali 76CB, which you sold me, very highly. I appreciate that there is an attraction to having just one or two knobs for folk who, like yourself, find it hard not to be playing with them xD 

Be interesting to see if this TC SD (which cost almost as much as what I paid you for the Cali) has as big a fan club as the Cali in six months' time (or even a fan club: you've already lost Cam and at this rate...) - a couple of beers says it won't, if you're up for the bet?:drinks:

PS fair come-back by you on the rest, though!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

I rather rated that demo and the sound it provided, and yes having a pick player rules.

@dave_bass5 nice recap on what it does. It’s really important to know your EQ or you are comparing apples and pears. It has a clean EQ from what I can see to accentuate the frequencies you want, and then you add a drive sound, which is in opposition to something like a BDDI which has its baked in tone, and the EQ affects that accordingly.

I am a sucker for stacking tones and having something like a mild drive and a gnarly drive available at the kick of a switch.

There is nothing like getting a new piece of kit, and actually using it to find all the available sounds, see how it interacts with other pedals and then other instruments to nail your sound, looking forward to more reports.

50 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cheeky! If I recall correctly, the comp in question I bought from no other than a certain demure dave_bass5 (who bought the thing new and sold it on to me after 3 months)? And a lot of folk rate the Cali 76CB, which you sold me, very highly. I appreciate that there is an attraction to having just one or two knobs for folk who, like yourself, find it hard not to be playing with them xD 

Be interesting to see if this TC SD (which cost almost as much as what I paid you for the Cali) has as big a fan club as the Cali in six months' time (or even a fan club: you've already lost Cam and at this rate...) - a couple of beers says it won't, if you're up for the bet?:drinks:

PS fair come-back by you on the rest, though!

Dont get me wrong, im not knocking the Cali, just making a point that no one NEEDS to spend that much to get a good comp, but we are willing to pay what it takes for something we want. If it doesn't workout, then we can sell it on, but we have to give it a go first otherwise we will never know....Mr Krow lol. 

The Cali has a good rep, and because of its heritage i think people take notice of it so do try it Some move on, others dont.  I dont think the SD will ever achieve cult status, or possibly be used by 1000's of people (although web forums are not a true indication IMO) like, say the Sansamp stuff, but there must be 1000's of pedals out there that people spend a fortune on, that wouldn't suit the majority of us. £185 is a small price for me to pay for the conveniences ive listed.

Your right, i have spent a lot this year. i work it out at around about £800, just on pedals alone. I have a drawer full of 'mistakes' that i really should sell (no, not the draw itself ;)

I would assume there will be a Spectradrive owners club over on TB, they like that sort of thing, and if not ill start one lol.

31 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I rather rated that demo and the sound it provided, and yes having a pick player rules.

@dave_bass5 nice recap on what it does. It’s really important to know your EQ or you are comparing apples and pears. It has a clean EQ from what I can see to accentuate the frequencies you want, and then you add a drive sound, which is in opposition to something like a BDDI which has its baked in tone, and the EQ affects that accordingly.

I am a sucker for stacking tones and having something like a mild drive and a gnarly drive available at the kick of a switch.

There is nothing like getting a new piece of kit, and actually using it to find all the available sounds, see how it interacts with other pedals and then other instruments to nail your sound, looking forward to more reports.

Cheers.

All those points were just relative to me. I must admit before getting it i was hoping for, if not better, different to how its turned out. My first post on here about it said i wanted it for home practice. This still stands and for this i cant knock it. My comments about the B3n were just observations. Im 100% happy that the SD does what it does. I cant really mark it down for not having something its not be advertised as having. Battery would be nice, digital effects other than tone prints would be nice, a bit of reverb on the headphone out would be nice, lots of missing things would be nice, but then we are talking about a different box.

The things that impressed me the most were how much better my basic clean tone sounded, and how much better my other boxes sounded after it. This, to me is its killer feature for live use. It can colour the tone by using Spectracomp and OD, but even with the SC turned right down, and the EQ set almost flat (if that exists, maybe it doesn't) the low notes had more clarity, and the higher note more punch, than with the box bypassed. I even found i was backing the Low off a bit, and rather than just having less low end, it seemed to be more adding clarity to those notes, without losing the heft. Again, this is all how it sounded to my ears and its only the one rehearsal.

The fact that all this takes up one space on my board means it works for me. I can guarantee i will still have this box at the end of the year, along with my Aftershock.

• Like 3

Just got tracking info from G4M. My new TC power supply will be delivered tomorrow. 

Thats very good service. I think the PSU alone costs abuout £29. I feel a bit guilty as I doubt I’ll ever use either of them, I’ve been using my 1 spot at home, but it’s nice to have the correct PSU I guess. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I even found i was backing the Low off a bit, and rather than just having less low end, it seemed to be more adding clarity to those notes, without losing the heft.

This was exactly my experience with the BH800 head. Turned the bass down, nudged the low mids up a bit and all I got was a lovely clear and full tone.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

This was exactly my experience with the BH800 head. Turned the bass down, nudged the low mids up a bit and all I got was a lovely clear and full tone.

We need to stop talking about the BH heads right now. I dont need a new head, as I already have one too many, but those BH550/800 heads do look attractive now i know what they are based on. You all know how GAS works lol 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

We need to stop talking about the BH heads right now. I dont need a new head, as I already have one too many, but those BH550/800 heads do look attractive now i know what they are based on. You all know how GAS works lol 

Okay, okay, I’ll stop going on about the BH heads...

...they have the best amp EQ I’ve used though :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

But you don’t have this EQ

http://www.formfactoraudio.com/bi1000/#prettyPhoto

They do a 400w version too....

Hmmm, doesn’t really appeal to me. Thinking about trading my GK MB800 for a BH800 now though. That will be the only way i will get another head. 

I need to get a few more rehearsals or gigs (more like the former) under my belt with the SD first though. 

7 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Fairy muff, it’s all relative to us, but it is damn fine I can tell you with the mid selector

Oh I’m sure it is. It looks high end. I’d take my Q/strip over that mid knob though. 

I was only commenting on the BH heads as i like the EQ in my SD, and this has come from the BH EQ. I’m not actualy looking for a new head as such. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@dave_bass5 no disagreement from me there bro.

so I am laying down a challenge then.

No new amp day thread with a TC BH series until 2019

I promise you i will not be buying a new amp at any point. Ive had my MarkBass F1 too long to stop using it. Believe me, ive tried. 

I am seriously thinking about trading my MB800 for a BH though. As i dont use the GK i wont lose anything if i dont like the BH, and ill stil have a back up to my F1 (which is also red).

45 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I am seriously thinking about trading my MB800 for a BH though. As i dont use the GK i wont lose anything if i dont like the BH, and ill stil have a back up to my F1 (which is also red).

You’d get a bit of cash your way too if you went that route. Just saying...:ph34r: