Why become a member? ×

Neck Screws

Dubs

I'd agree that it depends upon the size/shape of the neck heel/pocket. If it's a fairly standard Fender sized thing then 4 ought to do. I suspect that 6 screws in a tight spacing might actually weaken the neck pocket, depending on the type of wood we're talking about here.

[quote name='neepheid' post='332326' date='Nov 19 2008, 02:25 PM']I'd agree that it depends upon the size/shape of the neck heel/pocket. If it's a fairly standard Fender sized thing then 4 ought to do. I suspect that 6 screws in a tight spacing might actually weaken the neck pocket, depending on the type of wood we're talking about here.[/quote]

The body has a mahogany core and the neck is solid maple - It's a typical Jazz bass neck so judging from the advice above I think I might go for a more 'standard' 4 bolt solution :) – but I don’t want a neck plate so I’ll be using some screw ferrules to give a nice smooth finish :brow:

When I have all my parts (or at least most of them – I’m actually nearly there) I’ll start a build thread and maybe ask for a bit more relevant advice when it comes to making my final decisions…

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='332466' date='Nov 19 2008, 05:42 PM']I suspect that the ideal number of screws relates directly to the area of the neck pocket.

Have you thought about fitting metal inserts in the neck and using set screws instead of wood screws? I did this to my Warmoth build and it's far more secure in the long term.[/quote]

Ah, I’ve not thought about this at all – I’ve not actually taken delivery of the neck yet so I’ll assess this when it arrives. Thanks for letting me know there’s another option :)