Why become a member? ×

Gibson facing bankruptcy

Kiwi

58 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I'm not that comfortable to be honest, they're usually run by some muso, who stands there taking sharp intakes of breath, the last time I went in one to try out an acoustic guitar I played 'That's Entertainment' and was told I was doing it in the wrong Key!

I don't usually have this problem even if my playing is a bit dodgy. Maybe it's because I am old and grey and look like I might have a few dineros in my back pocket. Last time I was in GAK, they even ordered me a taxi.

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

I'm not that comfortable to be honest, they're usually run by some muso, who stands there taking sharp intakes of breath, the last time I went in one to try out an acoustic guitar I played 'That's Entertainment' and was told I was doing it in the wrong Key!

When I was younger (im 50 now), music stores were very much an uninviting place. Apart from a few people in a couple of stores when I was a kid, I generally avoided going in music stores because I could be judged anywhere without making an effort.

In the last decade I feel that attitude has been dying off rapidly, as those stores go out of business fast.

I will pay more in a store to buy something if the service is good and it is crazy priced, but if there service isn't there, might as well buy on the internet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

tell him you're trying out a guitar in the wrong shop. Then watch him shut up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about, could you ask your colleague to come over? I need some professional advice. :biggrin:

Music shop staff are a mixed bunch, but I think it goes with the territory. When I go to my local big music store in the South West, I always look for same guy, who has great customer service skills, and treats me nicely & professionally. I have in the past dealt with other staff there who were/are drongos, one frustrated musician type who apparently just wanted to show off knowledge and personal musicianship, and a younger untrained person who locked onto me like a hawk and wouldn't let me out of his sight while I tried some high-end guitars (I assumed he hadn't met or spoken to someone from the North East before ;-).

On 01/03/2018 at 11:53, petebassist said:

a younger untrained person who locked onto me like a hawk and wouldn't let me out of his sight while I tried some high-end guitars (I assumed he hadn't met or spoken to someone from the North East before ;-).

Or maybe he had ;)

• Haha 1