Why become a member? ×

3/4 bass for beginner

Triumphman

Depends on the age / size of the child really. Tanglewood Elfin EB18 is a great little thing,

P-bass style but downsized with a 25” scale. They sound surprisingly good too. Not sure 

if they are still being made, but s/h ones seem to crop up regularly for around £80 ish. Think

Harley Benton do a similar sized bass as well.

If they’re too small, look at a 30” scale job . The Squier Jaguars are well thought of here, and are

another good s/h buy at around £125 ish, new just under £200. Good enough to gig with too!

10 minutes ago, ambient said:

Possibly best to take him/her to a shop so he can try a few.

This. It depends on a number of factors so there's no 'one size fits all' (yeah yeah, I know...) solution.

Lots of people make the mistake of thinking either:

1. What they would be happy to use - it's not for you dude, it's for your child;

2. Buying something too big so that they can 'grow into' it. More understandable this one, and does have some (albeit limited) merit.

In general it's better for the instrument to be just a tad big for now, but not so big that the poor little bugger can't get their fingers around it or reach the nut. Sounds obvious I know, but you'd be surprised...

21 hours ago, casapete said:

Depends on the age / size of the child really. Tanglewood Elfin EB18 is a great little thing,

P-bass style but downsized with a 25” scale. They sound surprisingly good too. Not sure 

if they are still being made, but s/h ones seem to crop up regularly for around £80 ish. Think

Harley Benton do a similar sized bass as well.

If they’re too small, look at a 30” scale job . The Squier Jaguars are well thought of here, and are

another good s/h buy at around £125 ish, new just under £200. Good enough to gig with too!

I know this isn't the exact forum for this (sorry mods), but an elfin has popped up on the flea bay 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142682038965

However I second others advice for trying something out if there's a decent shop nearby 

My 13 year old son loves his Squire Bronco (went to Wunjo bass shop in London and played every one they had before picking out the best). 

Truss rod needs the occasional tweak due to seasonal variation but it's a cracking little bass. 

Before that we tried him on an Ashbory Mini-Bass, but that was not a great success. 

The school my son attends has about 8 basses (mostly full scale Encores which are dire) and without doubt the most popular bass is the Squier Bronco. Actually, I set it up the other day and whilst tuning and noodling I was quite taken with it...it's a nice bass.